FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SQ damaged my laptop, is this offer fair?
Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:37 am
Guy Betsy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Guava
I am just a little surprise that SQ actually wants to haggle on the repair cost. Granted, the repair price is somewhat outrageous but it's not as if I get to name a price. I can't say I am unhappy about the whole experience because SQ did show some excellent customer service throughout the whole process but I am just a little surprised they close this with a haggle. I sense they obviously want to negotiate/haggle. What should I tell them? By the way, I don't have any status with SQ although I am a Star Gold and usually fly SQ in First and Business class. I wonder if I should tell them: "That's fine, I'll take the $434 payment from you and you save some $186, but next time when I fly SQ A380 First Suites to Japan, I will make sure I book it under NH Codeshare instead of SQ. See, I can meet you at halfway too, just not sure they are of equal value though, can you tell?" Or maybe I should just drop it, take the $434 payment and shut up? Whatever it is, I want to keep this friendly. SQ has treated me well, the haggle is unfortunate, but no need to make a federal case out of this.

What do you think/suggest?
Take the money and be glad of it.

But basically it is your fault for checking in a computer in checked luggage anyway. Even with "Fragile" stickers all over the bag, airlines cannot guarantee that nothing will break. American Airlines will not even put Fragile stickers on because of that.

As for your threat. If I was SQ, I'd say go ahead. Cos you can't book R class on NH codeshare on the A380 flight anyway. You can't even book C class. Even if you do, SQ will still get the money eventually and at a higher revenue return than if you book it with SQ directly.

And when they send you cheque, try to "Pass to Forward" and donate a sum to charity. That'll calm the karma!