FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA filtering NH, OZ, SQ and TG???
View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:20 am
RSSRNotInIndia

Originally Posted by TonySCV
I think what s/he is trying to say is that CSR's need to know how to search and book flights that aren't showing on their screen.
At least one person got my point : ). My post was largely in reference to the OP's gripe that the first person he/she spoke with only saw UA/AC options, but the second person saw many more.

That said, I still don't believe that UA blocks OA availability. However, I do believe that OA block portions of their availability to UA. It's no big secret that more than one airline has been upset with UA due to the frequency/concentration/unbalanced bookings UA flyers were making on that airline. For example, many of our Premiers will call up asking for solely SQ availability. Not too long ago we were informed that SQ wasn't happy with the unbalanced award bookings, and many of us were lead to believe SQ would cease providing its inventory to UA. And I think this may go two-ways since I've taken calls, for example, from people pondering why they can't have seats (on a specific flight/date) to SYD with their US miles, but can with their UA.

It's also worth mentioning that the average Star award booking (or booking attempt) is very time consuming... fare buckets aren't aligned and after an hour or so, many agents eyes can be fatigued. Not to mention a big difference between 5-minutes into an agent's shift and 5-minutes before the end of their shift a call that asks "I'd like to go to Asia any time next spring... what's available?" Definitely not making excuses, just explaining service differentials.