FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling to Europe in September, could use some advice!
Old Jul 11, 2008, 5:34 pm
highlanderfil

Traveling to Europe in September, could use some advice!

Here's my rough schedule.

London: I arrive on August 29th and leave on September 1st. Staying at the Copthorne Tara Kensington, a stone's throw away from FC Chelsea.

Paris: Arriving by train on September 1st in the afternoon. Leaving on the 3rd. Staying at the Mercure Paris Porte De Versailles (15th district), which is unfortunate in light of the fact I could have had a room at the Holiday Inn in the Latin Quarter (6th district) had I waited for two more days. Oh well, no use crying over spilt milk, Priceline doesn't give out refunds.

Luxembourg: in (also by train) on the 3rd, out on the 4th, staying at the Alvisse Parc Hotel.

Brussels: In on the 4th (once again, by train, but I am picking up my rental car at the station), staying at the Holiday Inn Brussels Centre.

Leuven: in on the 5th, staying at the Holiday Inn Garden Court Leuven.

Aachen: in on the 6th, not yet sure where I am staying, but most likely at some friends'.

Spa: the Formula 1 race is on the 7th; after that I will hopefully return to Aachen for the night. Also in the plans are a visit to Michael Schumacher's hometown (Kerpen) and a romp around his go-kart track that same night.

Cologne: in on the 8th, staying at the Renaissance Hotel Cologne. Unless I wear out my welcome in Aachen, would like to return there to spend the night on the 9th, then off to walk around the Nurburgring in the morning (yes, I plan on walking or biking the entire 23 km Nordschleife if I'm allowed). Then, provided my legs still function, I'm off to Bruges, spending the night of the 10th at the Apollo Arthotel Brugge.

Delft: in late on the 11th, staying at Hotel Coen Delft.

Since Amsterdam hotels come in around 200 Euro/night around mid-September and rarely include parking, I'm staying in Noordwijk on the 12th and the 13th (de Koningshof Hotel). Thankfully, it's right on the coast, as well as close to both Amsterdam and Zandvoort.

Flying back home from Amsterdam on the 14th.

Now, for questions. Of course, I will welcome any and all suggestions you guys might have as to what to see on the way, what to pay special attention to, etc, etc, but I do have specific questions, as well.

1. As of right now, I am now renting a car at Brussels and dropping it off in Amsterdam. All in all, it's going to run me $495 (Europcar; compact; diesel). Insurance not included, but I hope I'll be alright with Master Care Rental. I have already had a claim with them locally and it was handled swimmingly. Am I right to assume I'll be OK in Europe as well? The Master Care Rental agreement says so, but what have your experiences been like? Also, I haven't been able to find a deal any better than the one I've got (picking up at Brussels, dropping off at Amsterdam)...if you have any idea where I can find some coupons that would be valid in Europe, do let me know. I've tried Hertz and Sixt so far - not too much luck.

2. Phone calls. I have a few options: Skype (I am bringing my laptop along), my cell phone (AT&T, $1.29/minute), a calling card (no clue what to get) or an international roaming SIM card (also, no clue what to get). I plan on calling at least Germany, England and France, as well as the States. What would you suggest?

3. Luggage. I'm flying Virgin and KLM direct, so I won't be paying extra for luggage, but still, what's a good size bag that's both inexpensive and not too cumbersome to drag along? This is my first trip by myself, so I want to have all the bases covered.

4. Credit card. I am thinking of getting a Capital One card (0% foreign fee), but which one is the best: points/miles/cashback? Can points be converted to cashback?

Anything else I need to pay attention to? Local traditions, good places to eat, things to DEFINITELY see? I've driven through Germany, Denmark and the Netherlands before, so I'm not a total newbie, but this will definitely be my first trip by myself.