News

Your Delivery Driver Probably Ate Some of Your Food

Your Delivery Driver Probably Ate Some of Your Food
FlyerTalk

One of the perks of, on occasion, getting an AirBnB instead of a hotel is that you can do a little UberEats-ing from local restaurants after a long day of sightseeing. But now that I know that my food delivery driver might be eating some of my food before they get to my house, I don’t know if I’ll be doing that anymore?

A recent survey by US Foods (which I spotted in a post in the FlyerTalk forum Dining Buzz) asked around 500 food delivery drivers if they snacked on the food that they’re responsible for delivering. And 30% of them admitted that yeah, they totally did. Of the drivers surveyed, 54% admitted to being tempted by the smell of a customer’s food, and about half of those people actually took a bite. Which, I’m just going to go on ahead and assume, means that there’s an additional percentage of delivery drivers who eat my food and then lie about it to anyone who asks.

What are we supposed to do with this information? The consensus in the Dining Buzz forum seems to be that a lot of people have already stopped using delivery services like Uber Eats and Postmates because the delivery fees are out of control. Finding out that their extra-expensive meals may have been snacked upon before they arrive just gave them yet another reason to cook at home or pick up their order.

And, I’ve discovered, that some delivery places already know that drivers can get peckish. So they staple the bags closed before they arrive. I don’t think this is an option on Uber Eats, DoorDash, Postmates, or Grubhub but maybe it should be.

Does this news make you think twice about getting your food delivered? Join the conversation in the Dining Buzz forum.

1. traveler18

August 5, 2019 at 12:50 pm

They need to add a seal that breaks when opened. Broken seal, meal refusal.

2. HMO

August 6, 2019 at 7:34 am

In Brazil, seals and staples are standard for food delivery for several years, if not decades…

3. mhrb

August 7, 2019 at 4:58 am

Why on earth can’t you UberEats in a hotel?!

4. SteveMSflyer

August 7, 2019 at 5:25 am

I’m in the restaurant industry and we staple every bag closed that is picked up by a 3rd party delivery service. Just a smart thing to do since there is no control what happens once it leaves the restaurant.

5. musicman27pa

August 7, 2019 at 6:27 am

Who would have thought food risk with contract employees delivering food at minimum wage with no seals.
    America is about convenience to become obese and more lazy not safeguards of food (wrong country).

All good as we can weed out a few liberal millenials thanks to food illnesses or give them a consolation prize with a one way flight to the DR for additional food/drink risks.

MAGA — make your own food…

6. kkua

August 7, 2019 at 7:25 am

Are we that lazy that we have to pay a delivery service and tip the person too??? o wonder our waist lines are expanding.

7. NYC96

August 13, 2019 at 12:28 pm

same with the COOK or Server at your favorite Restaurant? Probably.

8. dddc

August 15, 2019 at 4:59 am

I met a Deliveroo rider and he said he sometimes nicked a few chips if he was hungry and the orders were piling in.

I stopped using 3rd party delivery services because the food arrived lukewarm. There is a local Asian restaurant that I deal with directly and has it’s own drivers. The food arrives hot and because I order direct I get free stuff thrown in that if I’d used UberEats et al I wouldn’t according to the manager. The delivery charges those companies take is making him look at having a smaller sized food container for those orders and the standard ones for those that order direct.