Air Canada

Woman Wakes up to a Nightmare: Alone in a Cold, Dark Airplane

Woman Wakes up to a Nightmare: Alone in a Cold, Dark Airplane
Jeff Edwards

An Air Canada passenger posted a dramatic account of waking up from an inflight slumber to find that not only had she reached her destination, but she was also alone on a cold, dark, empty aircraft with no means of escape. Although declining to comment on the details of the case, Air Canada officials told local media the embarrassing incident took place earlier this month.

An Air Canada passenger just had a terrifying experience – and you can add this to the list to of things to fear.

Tiffani Adams said she was late getting home from the airport because she overslept. Although she made it to the gate in plenty of time to board her quick June 9th flight from Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport (YQB) to Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ), it was the nap she took after takeoff that really threw a wrench in her travel plans.

Adams says she awoke to find that she was by herself on a cold, unlit aircraft without another soul around. To make matters worse, the now-panicked passenger said she was able to inform her friend of her whereabouts just before her phone lost power. Adams’ friend shared a firsthand account of the plight in a post on the Air Canada Facebook feed.

“I wake up around midnight (few hours after flight landed) freezing Cold still strapped in my seat in complete darkness (I’m talking pitch black) as someone with and anxiety disorder as is I can tell you how terrifying this was,” Adams wrote in the June 19th Facebook post.

“Think I’m having a bad dream bc like seriously how is this happening!!?! I’m trying to focus on my breathing and control my panic attack while I attempt to charge my phone by plugging into every USB port I could find… no luck bc when they shut the aircraft down there is no power whatsoever I now have to use washroom and that’s also no picnic when you can’t see a thing and are tryin to keep yourself calm since I can’t charge my phone to call for help I’m full on panicking bc I want off this nightmare asap.”

Adams says that finding “walky-talky thingys” in the cockpit was a short-lived victory (because she was unable to reach anyone on the devices). The stranded passenger says she was “overjoyed” when she found a flashlight and “felt like a champ” after she managed to open a cabin door. Unfortunately, Adams didn’t have access to a stair-truck or a jetway, but she was eventually able to use the flashlight to signal a passing ground equipment truck, leading to her rescue.

Air Canada confirmed that the incident occurred, but has so far declined to explain how the passenger was left behind. “We are still reviewing this matter so I have no additional details to share,” Air Canada spokesperson Peter Fitzpatrick told the Toronto City News.

Adams admits that the airline has apologized repeatedly and even offered to provide a limo back from the airport that night. She says, however, that the ordeal has left her with lingering issues.

“Air Canada called Monday and Tuesday both people again ask me to repeat what happened apologize for my inconvenience and say they will do an investigation bc they have checks in place that should prevent people from being locked on the aircraft at night,” Adams explained. “I haven’t got much sleep since the reoccurring night terrors and waking up anxious and afraid I’m alone locked up someplace dark. This is a super long post-so I’ll wrap it up, please share if you know of anyone who has gone through this I don’t like feeling so alone.”

[Featured Image: Pixabay]

1. sfoeuroflyer

June 24, 2019 at 3:32 pm

Is anyone these days responsible for one’s life. Why is every set back, every disappointment, every shortcoming SOMEONE else’s fault? Zero sympathy.

2. CaptHolic

June 24, 2019 at 5:03 pm

I am not entirely surprised by the fact this has occurred. Given enough time anything will happen at least once. But then to cry about it and claim “reoccurring night terrors and waking up anxious and afraid I’m alone locked up someplace dark” is just a prelude to, I’m gunna try and sue you so I never have to work again…
    If your soul is that fragile maybe you should just spend the rest of your days with a flashlight hiding under a blanket in your room!
    If she tries to sue, I hope AC and every other airline puts her on the black list.

3. northernlights1

June 25, 2019 at 12:29 am

Get a grip. This isn’t even close to a nightmare. Snowflakes…

4. newtravels99

June 25, 2019 at 5:09 am

Emergency Exit doors….??

5. SarcasticMisanthrope

June 25, 2019 at 5:14 am

sfoeuroflyer, I guess the FA”s didn’t check the plane after landing. It’s not entirely this persons fault.

6. jaybos

June 25, 2019 at 12:25 pm

Sunday, June 9 saw a high of 68F and a low of 59F in Toronto. When exactly did the “freezing” happen?

7. zitsky

June 26, 2019 at 5:02 am

We shouldn’t judge too harshly. We don’t know what an anxiety attack is like.

8. drphun

June 26, 2019 at 5:09 am

Didn’t anyone come through to clean the trash out of the seat pockets?

9. williasp

June 26, 2019 at 5:44 am

Was she sitting in the last row? Surprising that not one other passenger noticed her and informed her that we had landed. Also surprising that an FA didn’t make a final sweep of the plane to check for luggage and other stuff left on the plane, not to mention any passengers left behind. One would think such a practice would be mandatory and automatic. Air travel really is the worst!

10. KRSW

June 26, 2019 at 6:58 am

Definitely overblown. As newtravels99 points out, the emergency exits always exist.

If you get overly creative, there’s plenty of YouTube videos on how to cold-start modern Airbus & Boeing jetliners. Fire up the APU, put the taxi lights on, and you’re guaranteed to get plenty of attention.

At the same time, how was the crew allowed off the aircraft without doing a final check to make sure it’s cleared? Something doesn’t seem right here.

11. mvoight

June 26, 2019 at 12:26 pm

It was parked at a gate, not in the middle of nowhere. I doubt all of the shades were down