British Airways

British Airways Quotes $4 Million for Family Vacation?!

British Airways Quotes $4 Million for Family Vacation?!
Jennifer Billock

We all know that some airline glitches allow us to get airfare for an absurdly inexpensive price—but what if the glitches cause the prices to go up rather than down? A British woman recently encountered this issue while trying to book a family vacation through British Airways to Riviera Maya in Mexico.

Were you one of the lucky few who snagged a Cathay Pacific fare glitch flight in January, getting to fly in a $16,000 First Class seat for only $1,100? Congratulations! Sometimes airline glitches work in our favor. But in the case of U.K.-based Debbie Andrioli, a glitch had the exact opposite effect.

Andrioli was hoping to book a family vacation to Riviera Maya in Mexico through British Airways’ website. She was looking for an all-inclusive trip for her family of five. But after she searched and tried to find prices, she was hit with a staggering amount: about $840,000 per person, for a total of $4.2 million for the whole family. That’s about 200 times more expensive than what that trip would normally cost.

She took it in stride, though, tweeting Alex Cruz, the CEO of British Airways, noting that the price is a bit steep and she was wondering they could haggle. It was a clever retort for what was clearly a glitch in the system.

In response to Andrioli’s tweet, British Airways released a statement, Digital Trends reported: “We always want our customers to feel like a million dollars when they’re on holiday with us, but our holidays to Mexico start at 843 pounds per person, so nobody ever needs to pay that much.”

[Image Source: Flickr]

1. Landing Gear

March 26, 2019 at 8:11 am

Is there a link to the Flyertalk discussion of Land’s Tweet?

2. amanuensis

amanuensis

March 26, 2019 at 10:08 am

For “all-inclusive” you have to expect to pay more.

3. htb

March 26, 2019 at 3:17 pm

I once bought a ticket I LH for a few hundred euros. When I get to airport only to be told that the ticket didn’t get issued, I was sent to ticketing.
    Apparently they tacked on a 10 million euros service fee and the charge was denied by my card issuer.
    I still have the boarding card showing the fee which was waived in the end.

4. tiharoa

March 27, 2019 at 11:28 am

In 2014 I wanted to buy 3 tickes in J from VCE to AKL with Emirates. I fly this route in J or F several times a year so I know quite well the price. I was asked to pay 45,000 euros
    for the 3 tickets. Of course I never completed the payment but I called the Booking service and told that it would be much less expensive in F, but the lady told me it was the correct price (not for a fixed day mind you but for several months). One week later it was back to normal but by then I already booked with another airline.

5. weero

weero

March 29, 2019 at 3:55 am

OMG htb, you just made 10’000’000 Euros!

6. htb

March 29, 2019 at 5:19 pm

@weero: I always think of how absolutely berserk LH revenue management must have gone when they realized that their front line staff waived millions of euros in fees. Shortly thereafter the staff was no longer allowed to do anything but to follow the rules to the letter 😁