A woman died last year after ingesting a bag of cocaine in a first class lounge at Manchester Airport (MAN). The incident involved Victoria Buchanan, who was due to depart for Dubai. An inquest into the incident has ruled that the woman’s death was caused by misadventure.
A woman died last year after ingesting a bag of cocaine in a first class lounge at Manchester Airport (MAN), The Sun reports. The incident, which occurred on March 2018, involved 42-year-old Victoria Buchanan, a British teacher who was due to depart for Dubai.
According to the outlet, Buchanan chose to swallow the drugs after realizing that the cocaine was still on her person following her visit to the UK. It is also reported that she had purchased the drugs while in the UK with her husband.
However, after ingesting the drugs, Buchanan suffered a severe seizure when the bag burst in her stomach.
It was initially believed that the mother of three was having an allergic reaction and was given an injection from an EpiPen that was found in her purse. However, she later died at a local hospital and the bag of cocaine was found during a post-mortem examination.
At an inquest into her death, her husband, Mark Buchanan, said, “We were aware she would take small amounts of cocaine occasionally and it was something we did together. I had left the UK a few days before, not a lot was left, not that that matters now.”
“If somebody had asked her to smuggle the cocaine she would have refused, she wasn’t in a position to be blackmailed I can say that 100 per cent,” he added.
Speaking of the incident, assistant coroner Andrew Bridge said, “I have no understanding of why Victoria would wish to have smuggled cocaine or why she would take the risks. So my conclusion of how she came by her death is one of misadventure.”
[Featured Image: Manchester Airport]