Advice

Why You Should Always Keep One Shoe in Your Hotel Safe

Why You Should Always Keep One Shoe in Your Hotel Safe
Jackie Reddy

When it comes to stashing stuff securely in hotel rooms, a safe can be a traveler’s best friend. But for those for whom a secret stash turns into a lost item, one member of BA cabin crew has offered a top tip: travelers should keep one of the shoes they plan to wear on the return flight in the safe.

When it comes to staying in hotel rooms with personal valuables, somewhere safe is usually somewhere out of sight. But when it comes time to go home, this tactic can sometimes backfire; after all, as the old adage goes, out of sight is, of course, out of mind.

For those prone to losing their valuables, one British Airways (BA) cabin crew member offered travelers her top tip on how they can keep track of their belongings during the course of a hotel stay.

Speaking to Business Insider late last year, Ty Opoku Adjei said, “When we go on holiday, it’s natural to want to keep your valuables in the hotel room safe.” She added that it wasn’t unknown for some travelers to “make it all the way to the airport only to realize they’ve left their passport in the safe.”

Adjei explained, “My top tip is to keep one of your shoes you plan to wear on your journey home in the safe. If you do this, you’ll never leave the hotel room without checking the safe ever again… as long as you don’t forget where you put your shoe, of course!”

[Image Source: Wikimedia Commons/Zygimantus]

1. evanstim

September 27, 2019 at 4:09 am

That’s the old car-keys-with-the-groceries-in-the-fridge-at-work trick.

It’s not necessary, really. My trick (and I do similar version of the same thing before leaving the house) is once I have packed up and ready to go, before I open the hotel room door to leave, I check: bathroom, bedside drawers, drawers and wardrobe, table/desk, and, of course, the safe. I say, loudly, “clear” after checking each. I find something I missed about half the time. I, finally, then check my bag that my essentials are where they should be: wallet, passport, keys, phone, glasses.

Only then do I open the door and leave the room.

2. MimiB22

September 27, 2019 at 4:32 am

I was puzzled by the headline of this story at first, but now realize the advice makes some sense… assuming you brought several pairs of shoes along, because otherwise you’ll be wearing the shoes and may forget to put one in the safe before packing to leave the hotel.

3. capric

September 27, 2019 at 8:20 am

How about an “old trick” of keeping your wallet and passport in the safe? You definitely check for those at the hotel check out desk or on your way to the airport/transit/another paid activity.

4. UALfromMSN

September 27, 2019 at 9:15 am

evanstim….I do the same thing, saying “clear” out loud after each area. I’m glad I’m not the only one using this method.

5. rightfred

September 27, 2019 at 9:16 am

Clever tip! I did that once and only realised half way to the airport my passport and wallet were still in the hotel safe!

6. KayVeeBee

October 1, 2019 at 10:54 pm

I never use the hotel safe. I don’t use cash, and keep my pasport and id on me (as the law usually requires).

7. skidooman

November 7, 2019 at 7:04 pm

@KayVeeBee

Idem for me. Always in my bag in a hard-to-access pouch for any wannabe thief. And the bag travels with me, always – it is chuck full of electronics.

If for any reason the bag and I are apart, then the passport comes with me into a pocket.

And you are right that by law this is what should happen. Albeit I never had any officer of the law require it from me.