Passengers

Why Did A Healthy Passenger Die Right After Her Flight Landed?

Why Did A Healthy Passenger Die Right After Her Flight Landed?
Jackie Reddy

Houston’s ABC13 has reported that an Emirates passenger died on Thursday just after her flight from New York landed in Dubai. The female traveler has been named as 40-year-old Brandi Hodges, who was traveling from New York to the United Arab Emirates’ largest city.

Hodges’ cousin, Gloria Ray-Banks, spoke to the outlet about the incident. Ray-Banks’s sister had been traveling with Hodges at the time of her death and had phoned Ray-Banks just after Emirates Flight 204 arrived at Dubai International Airport (DXB) earlier this week.

My sister called me at approximately 1:30 this morning. She called and started crying hysterically and I said, ‘What’s wrong?‘,” she said.

Her sister then explained how Hodges had said that she had felt unwell as they were disembarking from the flight. After Hodges fainted, medical help was summoned and she was given ice and oxygen but fainted again.

Hodges was then put into an ambulance at Dubai International Airport which reportedly did not ever leave the facility.

Ray-Banks explained that, “After so many minutes and they didn’t pull off, my sister looked back to see why they had not left. Brandi wasn’t back there.”

Rather than being taken to a local hospital, Hodges was put in a medical room in the airport. A defibrillator was used in an unsuccessful attempt to revive her.

Speaking of her cousin, Ray-Banks says that, “She travels all the time.” The cause of death has not yet been ascertained and Ray-Banks has confirmed that she is in the process of attempting to repatriate the body of her cousin, who was from Chicago, back to the U.S.

In an official statement quoted by the outlet, Emirates said, “Emirates can confirm that ground staff in Dubai contacted medical emergency services at Dubai Airport (DXB) to assist a passenger disembarking from EK204 on 06 June. The passenger, unfortunately, passed away. Emirates offers its condolences to the passenger’s family and is providing them with assistance.

[Featured Image: Screenshot]

1. beamac

June 9, 2019 at 4:30 am

Why speculate ? Her family will be distraught. t’s none of our business.

2. gbs1112

June 9, 2019 at 7:57 am

We will await medical reports but it would be interesting to know in which class she had been travelling. This sort of sudden and unexpected event could well have been a deep vein thrombosis in the legs that has detached and will frequently cause sudden death.a known risk of long flights in economy seating.

3. zarkov505

June 10, 2019 at 8:24 am

It can happen in Business Class as well as Coach. (I sustained a DVT that threw a PE about ten years ago, riding in Business class, on a Tokyo-to-Dallas hop. I was lucky: it didn’t kill me.)

The key preventer is GETTING UP AND MOVING AROUND every few hours, whether you need to or not.

4. KRSW

June 10, 2019 at 1:04 pm

Obviously…she wasn’t healthy, unlike what the clickbait title suggests. Case closed.

5. zarkov505

June 10, 2019 at 3:47 pm

@krsw, anyone can sustain a DVT (deep vein thrombosis: blood clot in deep vein in leg) and throw a PE (pulmonary embolism: blood clots in lungs) on a long airplane ride. It doesn’t have to be in coach, and the passenger doesn’t have to be unhealthy to begin with.

Usually, the first symptom is that the patient drops dead.

The only unique “warning” symptom I had was that I’d taken my shoes off on the airplane, for comfort, and I noticed that my feet were swollen when I went to put the shoes back on. I had some shortness of breath in the terminal, but I’m a long-term asthma patient, and shortness of breath is par for the course. I got through immigration OK, went to the Admirals Club, did a nebulizer treatment, took my next flight, took the taxi home, and in general dealt with life as usual.

As I was leaving the apartment to go to a routine scheduled doctor visit the next morning, I had what felt like a sudden-onset asthma attack. It seemd like no big deal, except that it didn’t respond to treatment quite the way I thought it should, and I decided I’d let the ER take a look at me, just in case.

It turns out it wasn’t an asthma attack, but blood clots in my lungs. I was admitted to the hospital immediately, put to bed, and told to STAY THERE.

I was talking with one of the nurses at the hospital, after I’d been in for a few days. I told her the story. She told me I was lucky: she’d seen a DVT/PE case where total elapsed time from initial onset of symptoms to termination was less than ten minutes. (She may have said “five minutes”, I do not recall for certain.)

6. fairhsa

June 10, 2019 at 7:11 pm

Totally healthy people cam get a DVT on a plane. That’s why it’s a good idea to wear compression socks, drink lots of water and move around frequently.