Why Accor Sucks and What They Can Do About It

Why Accor Sucks and What They Can Do About It
Ariana Arghandewal

Despite boasting over 4200 properties worldwide, Accor Le Club doesn’t get the same exposure as more mainstream rewards programs like World of Hyatt and SPG. That’s probably because Accor doesn’t have a co-branded credit card And because Accor sucks as a rewards program.

Not only do they make it ridiculously difficult to redeem miles, but earning them is also a mystery. The lack of clarity and terrible customer service is what makes it a terrible rewards program. But enough about how bad they are. Here’s how Accor can improve its rewards program:

The Website

For starters, the Accor site is pretty horrendous. With its hideous design and awful navigation, it just offers an overall terrible user experience. Its shortcomings in the design area could be overlooked if it wasn’t so awful from a functional perspective.

Want to redeem a reward? Well, take a wild guess and figure it out yourself. While other hotel programs make it easy to redeem points for free nights (i.e. check off a “use points” box), Accor leaves you guessing about how it’s done.

For one, you have to filter your search results to show properties where “I can use my points” only. Then you simply book your stay like any other and it isn’t until you get to the booking page that you see an option to either pay the full rate or redeem points. If you fail to check off that “hotels where I can use my points” box, you might repeat the above step multiple times before you’re finally able to redeem them.

Customer Service

Have a customer service issue? Tough luck, because Accor doesn’t care. Their customer service is notoriously awful. I had a billing issue at an Ibis hotel in a small town in France. I was charged twice for the same room. After getting nowhere with the hotel manager or Accor customer service, I reached out on Twitter.

Know what it got me? A response several days later, saying nay request had been handed over to Accor customer service. It ended up going nowhere and I had to reach out to my credit card company to rectify it. Never have I dealt with such blatant incompetence and poor customer service – certainly not with a hotel chain.

The purpose of staying with a chain is a certain standard of hotel, service, and overall experience. With Accor, you’re pretty much on your own in terms of service and experience. Even their hotel brands are all over the place and tough to define. What is the difference between an Ibis, Ibis Styles, Ibis Budget, and Hotel F1? They’re all the same college dorm-type hotels with IKEA furniture. I don’t want to knock the entire Accor portfolio because they have quite a few high-end brands (Fairmont, Raffles, Sofitel), but they do take a kitchen sink approach to acquiring new properties.

Overall, Accor needs better messaging, branding, and service. The company needs to become more focused on the customer rather than the blind acquisition of hotels that won’t uphold their brand standards. More importantly, they need to provide more clarity on how members can earn and redeem points. And make the redemption process a clear and easy one. Because otherwise, they might as well turn into an airline.

[Image: Bob Hall/Accor]

1. PabloM

February 17, 2018 at 6:02 pm

What a stupid article. You say: “But enough about how bad they are. Here’s how Accor can improve its rewards program:” but I do my hare any substantial suggestions except for you bagging the program.

Yes, it’s not the best and yes, all the points you raise are valid, but you offer no suggestions of substance. You are just having a rant.

Redeeming points is fairy straight forward. You get a £40 voucher for every 2,000points. Chat use them on every room rate, but it is fairly straight forward.

They are enept with their website and customer service is not great, but please offer suggestions on real improvements if that’s what you set out to do.

2. Kat007

February 17, 2018 at 10:36 pm

I “quit” Accor after I was robbed at Sofitel Bangkok in 2013, and nobody cared-from corporate to the hotel. It was a nightmare, despite I held Platinum status.

3. Boris T

February 18, 2018 at 1:19 am

This article is too hopeful.

It forgets to mention that Accor is a French company. The article points out all the issues with French businesses. Forget trying to give some advice to Accor, they do not care they are a French company.

4. VladQ

February 18, 2018 at 4:35 pm

I don’t get it. Points earning is clearly described on There is a table there where one can find his or her status and see how many points they would get in hotels of various brands (4 types). That is for reward points. Status points earning does not depend on member’s status, so there is just one line in that table for that.
    Most rates allow points redeeming at the ratio of 2000 points = 40 euro as described on Some sales rates (like private sales) always exclude the option of redeeming points towards the stay.

5. robbeck1

February 19, 2018 at 11:44 am

Agree totally. You can add only a 6-month period to request stay credit due; they are well aware several Asian properties are known for not reporting. Au revoir Accor.

6. keisari

February 19, 2018 at 1:36 pm

Absolutely no elite recognition. I matched to Plat with Accor and stayed in a few properties in France and NONE ever recognized Plat elite nor did I get any of the benefits that are included.

7. GlynRB

February 20, 2018 at 5:26 am

Ariana is having a rant. The problem with posting a rant when you are angry is that you end up undermining your basic point. The statement “you are on your own” at an Accor Hotel is totally wrong. Ariana might find that to be case, but my experience is the opposite. On a recent visit to the Mercure (an Accor hotel) the room was great and the staff incredibly helpful (and nice to be with).

The only thing I didn’t like was the charge of £8.00 for a sandwich (it was a good sandwich, but THAT good).

Other visits to Accor chain hotels match my experience with Marriott, Hilton and others. Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s not so good. So “Sucks” is inaccurate

8. pointchaser

February 23, 2018 at 4:10 pm

@PabloM “Redeeming points is straightforward.” No it’s not. When you deviate from the normal award chart system, you need to make that clear. Especially during the search/booking process.

@Kat007 That’s not the first robbery story I’ve heard. Sorry that happened to you.

@Boris_T I have no hope. 🙂 Just ranting into the universe in case someone listens.

@VladQ Users shouldn’t have to navigate to that page to find out 2k points = 40 euros. Make that clear during the search/booking phase. And there’s no reason why you should have to check off “hotels where I can redeem points.” If redemptions are based on cost, every hotel should let me redeem points. From a user perspective, it would be so much easier if they listed the point redemption guidelines/rates alongside paid rates.

@robbeck1 More stupidity from Accor.
@Keisari To be fair, I did get a room upgrade as a Gold member. But thumbs down for everything else.

@GLynRb Yes, she is. But come on – I’ve outlined exactly how they can improve on the things I’m complaining about. I’m glad you had a good experience – but this post isn’t about one person’s experience vs another’s. It’s about systematic customer service failures, poorly designed website, and brand inconsistencies.