Passengers

Public Horrified Over Woman Sleeping on Plane Floor

Public Horrified Over Woman Sleeping on Plane Floor
Jackie Reddy

A photo that shows a woman sleeping on a dirty cabin floor while her male companion rests in relative comfort on a set of seats has gone viral. While some members of the public have decried the man’s lack of chivalry, other users are more concerned over what’s been spilled on the plane’s carpet.

A photo of a female passenger sleeping on the floor a plane cabin has gone viral, with many social media users openly shaming the woman for her choice of bed, The Daily Mail reports. The woman was shown traveling with a male companion, who is seen to be resting across three seats.

The picture, which was shared on the Passenger Shaming Instagram page, garnered a host of comments from members of the public. Some criticized the male traveler for not sharing his bank of seats with his companion. “Someone does not know the definition of chivalrous if that is the guy on the seat,” one member of the public said.

But still, others were more concerned about the floor on which the female passenger was sleeping.

One user said, “Just think her face is on the floor where people have been putting their feet and dirty diapers,” while a second user added, “I’ve seen men urinating on the floor too, so there’s that. And yes, that’s plural; I’m not even a flight attendant.”

Some users, however, defended the couple’s choice of sleeping arrangements, with one saying, “Been there, done that…only with a blanket though. I’m impressed with the amount of leg room on this flight more than anything.

[Featured Image: Instagram/ @passengershaming]

1. ranles

August 10, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Where are the flight attendants?

2. Annalisa12

Annalisa12

August 10, 2019 at 11:54 pm

Mid way through a 12 hour flight in economy I have LONGED to lie flat on the floor.

3. drvannostren

August 11, 2019 at 12:57 am

I can honestly say I wouldn’t do this, but I’m not totally sure why. I’m pretty flexible when it comes to laying down with clothes on. I mean, how many of us haven’t laid down on the grass in a park? Is this any worse? That said, I don’t really think I’d fit and get any comfort out of it. I can also sleep sitting up on a plane fairly decently, so I usually just gravitate towards that. But sometimes, especially if hung over or otherwise sick, I really wanna get horizontal. I laid down on the floor of the LAS airport, I’ve slept on the floor of the PHL airport, on the floor of a sleeper cabin on a train, those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

That said, I can’t imagine flying WITH someone, male or female, and saying “yea, I’ll take the top bunk, you take the bottom ;)”.

4. fotographer

August 11, 2019 at 3:39 am

there are in the galley of course… where else would they be?

5. The _Banking_Scot

August 11, 2019 at 5:54 am

Apart from the floor being unhygenic, if the flight attendants had spotted her, they should have made her return to her seat for safety reasons ( Don’t know the airline) as if the aircraft hit unexpected turbulence she could be seriously injured ( not sure if the gentleman is wearing a seatbelt either)

6. strickerj

August 11, 2019 at 6:10 am

The floor is indeed pretty dirty, and this isn’t something I’d choose to do, but the responses to this seem to be pretty extreme. I just don’t see this as that big a deal.

Oh, and to those criticizing the guy for a lack of chivalry, perhaps they both agreed to that arrangement? My wife prefers a firm mattress and has slept on the couch in hotels where the bed was too soft. If you didn’t know that, you might think, “look at that jerk, making his wife sleep on the couch so he can have the whole bed.”

7. rjpjr

August 11, 2019 at 7:39 am

So HE should be sleeping on the floor? I don’t think so. I don’t think anyone should be sleeping on the floor, and not because of what is possibly already on the floor or what might be there afterwards. It’s a safety issue. I guess Darwin’s theories would be in effect if the plane suffers some sort of emergency.

8. Gynob001

August 11, 2019 at 4:40 pm

Done it myself- after a delayed and tired 24 hr flight to India, the body doesn’t care about dirt, bugs, etc. have slept in many airports on the floor. There were kind FAs who gave me pillows and blankets to sleep as it wasn’t worth going to the city for a hotel, only to return after a few hours.
    Most probably, the woman chose to sleep on the floor.

9. Jon_R

August 11, 2019 at 6:02 pm

Why would I be horrified if a stranger did something I would not do? Seems a little sensationalized.

10. Grog

August 13, 2019 at 3:20 am

Much ado about nothing. Live and let live.

11. scottishpoet

August 13, 2019 at 4:58 am

its an Emergency Exit row which explains the legroom

12. MimiB22

August 14, 2019 at 4:39 am

I wouldn’t sleep on the floor, but why be horrified if someone else choses to? Why should we be disturbed that some people are taking their comfort into their own hands? Airlines decrease passenger space and comfort all the while fleecing us with ever higher fares. Be outraged at them, not passengers trying to cope.

13. yabadoo

August 15, 2019 at 8:09 am

People don’t remember what it was like flying in the 1970’s where this was a lot more common, at least on Asian and South American carriers. I remember being on an Air India flight, it was a 707 and an overnight long-haul and at night after dinner service people would just lay down a sheet they bought with them on to the alley-way and plonked themselves down and went to sleep, as well as on the footwells on the seats. Going to the bathroom was like an obstacle course drying to step over all the sleeping bodies. None of the aircrew said anything, it was as if this was totally normal. From what I understand, back in those days this kind of thing was quite common.