Virgin America

Virgin America Announces Its Last Day

Virgin America Announces Its Last Day
Meg Butler

Virgin America recently released an internal memo announcing its final day of operation: April 25th 2018. On that date, all of the airline’s flights will switch over to Alaska Airlines.

The memo states:

“Alaska Airlines has posted the new Airbus schedule for flights after April 24 … The flights will be Alaska flights and will only be available through Alaska channels.”

This means that travelers attempting to book a flight on VirginAmerica.com after April 24th, 2018 will be redirected to AlaskaAir.com

To read more on this story, go to Flight Global.

1. weegraeme

October 10, 2017 at 2:56 pm

I can’t help but think that they’re retiring the wrong brand. Admittedly, I’ve never been to the US, so I don’t know how well it’s actually known. If I was travelling to Alaska, I’d consider travelling with them, based on their name. But I probably wouldn’t even think they were an option to travel to other places in the US. Virgin on the other hand, is a world-wide brand.

2. sdsearch

October 10, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Well, weegraeme, the same thing happened in Europe: SN Brussels merged with Virgin Express, and the merged airline got renamed Brussels, not Virgin anything.

You see, while Virgin is a world brand, many virgin brands are created by Branson with the goal of eventually selling them. Since the Vrigin brand is very associated with Branson, why keep the Virgin name once Branson has nothing to do with it any more?

3. UncleDude

October 11, 2017 at 12:13 pm

There are now no Virgin Airline Brands controlled by either the Virgin Group or Richard Branson.

4. BC Shelby

October 12, 2017 at 10:38 am

…yeah it is sad and kind of odd. I still remember when Alaska was just that and Alaskan carrier that flew only to to Seattle and Portland OR (the old “Golden Nugget” service). It would be kind of like United changing it’s name to Air Wisconsin after acquiring the carrier as part of it’s United Express service.

hat I liked about Virgin America was if you flew their service to connect to a Virgin Atlantic flight it was considered an extension of the “parent” carrier’s service and luggage fees were waived for the domestic portion of the trip. With Alaska be ready to cough up that 25 – 50$ or more.

5. BC Shelby

October 12, 2017 at 10:41 am

…excuse the typos above, using a wireless keyboard on an old system and sometimes it drops out momentarily or has a mind of its own.

“and Alaskan” in the first paragraph should be “an Alaskan” and “hat I” in the second paragraph should be “What I”

6. Morgacj2004

October 12, 2017 at 12:13 pm

As a loyal AK Air customer for 50 years I have flown close to a million miles on this carrier. I have flown to Florida, Illinois , Canada, Mexico, Xalifornia etc. They are not a regional carrier and have the best mileage program out there. They also have great partners.