Passengers

Thomas Cook Passenger Left “Shaking And Upset” After Being Asked To Cover Up

Thomas Cook Passenger Left “Shaking And Upset” After Being Asked To Cover Up
Jackie Reddy

A Thomas Cook passenger has recently spoken of her upset at being asked to cover up by cabin crew. Emily O’Connor was traveling from Birmingham to Tenerife wearing a crop top when approached by staff and informed that she had to wear a jacket. The experience, she said, left her “shaking and upset.”

A female Thomas Cook passenger on a recent flight from Birmingham to Tenerife has spoken of her upset at being told to cover up by cabin crew, reports the BBC. Traveler Emily O’Connor was wearing a crop top and high-waisted pants on the March 2nd flight when she was told by staff that her outfit was offensive.

O’Connor told the news outlet that she was initially informed that she would need to cover up upon first entering the cabin. Upon taking her seat, the manager of the flight and four other members of cabin crew again advised her that, unless she covered up, she would be taken off of the plane.

In a tweet quoted by the news outlet, the 21-year-old said, “I was given a jacket by my cousin sitting at the front of the plane and they did not leave until I physically put it on. They made comments over the speaker about the situation and left me shaking and upset on my own.”

She also added that a man behind her was wearing shorts and a tank top but was ignored by the crew.

The carrier has apologized to O’Connor for the upset caused by the incident.

In a statement to the outlet, a spokesperson for Thomas Cook said, “It’s clear we could have handled the situation better. In common with most airlines, we have an appropriate clothing policy. This applies equally to men and women of all ages without discrimination.”

“Our crews have the difficult task of implementing that policy and don’t always get it right,” they added.

[Image Source: Shutterstock]

1. Oxnardjan

March 14, 2019 at 6:42 pm

Good heavens, does everything have to be taken so personally? Shaken and upset, seriously? Put a shirt on over the bralet and get over yourself.

2. TonyBurr

March 14, 2019 at 7:30 pm

Good for Thomas Cook. She may feel she has “rights” to show off her “body”, but I have “rights” not to have to have it shoved in my sight. Put a shirt on or I will take me top off, and that is not a pretty sight, but I have my rights too.

3. Allan38103

March 14, 2019 at 7:35 pm

Why is this even being posted here? Shut up and get on with your life.

4. htb

March 14, 2019 at 10:51 pm

So, what’s the “appropriate clothing policy” that supposedly applies to men and women “equally”?

5. adenzin7

March 15, 2019 at 4:47 am

thats what brits look like when they fly to any other island.. thomas cook should know that already

6. arcticflier

March 15, 2019 at 6:01 am

@Oxnardjan.
    Excellent post.
    In order to claim victimhood on Social media we keep reaching for more extreme adjectives to describe the most mundane events.

File this one under 1st World problems.

7. arcticflier

March 15, 2019 at 6:03 am

A fellow passenger summed it up well:

A man then shouted “Shut up you pathetic woman. Put a f*cking jacket on”-

8. ExplorerWannabe

ExplorerWannabe

March 15, 2019 at 6:24 am

Shaking and upset merely for being asked to cover up? Did they have bludgeons out or something? Grow up!

9. KRSW

March 15, 2019 at 6:42 am

I guess her blouse went on a separate holiday?

10. PaulMSN

March 15, 2019 at 6:50 am

It was quite personal, and quite humiliating. But it didn’t happen to you, did it?

11. fyree39

March 15, 2019 at 7:10 am

Bathing suit tops are not appropriate travel wear. Thank you for your kind understanding.

12. infinite97

March 15, 2019 at 7:40 am

Sorry, I’m with the airline on this one. Wear grade school appropriate clothing when in public and this wouldn’t be an issue.

13. m44

March 15, 2019 at 7:41 am

Can we stop giving private companies right to police what clothing we use?
    They obtained a license to fly and operate airplanes – not to police clothing.
    Shame of those cat-calls to cover; what next calls to un-cover. I guess hijab is offensive to most civilized world people and dangerous as it can hide bank robbers male, female or LGBTQ. What is worse it can hide Arizona republican legislators who in 2019 voted against Equal Right Amendment.

14. avw

March 15, 2019 at 7:45 am

Inappropriate attire, worn to attract the attention she got. Is she really offended, or just calling even more attention to herself?

15. Richard Street

March 18, 2019 at 4:09 pm

I really don’t understand why people are so quick to be offended by clothing. If you can’t control yourself at the sight of a girl wearing a crop top then you should probably go see a therapist. You certainly shouldn’t be going to a hot country where this is normal clothing.

I’m assuming that the girl, Emily was going to be sat in her seat, so quite what ‘offense’ would be caused during a 3/4 hr flight I am not sure?

The only reason I think the flight crew should have said anything is that often flights can get quite cold and dressed like that I would imagine she’d freeze. Telling her that I’m sure would have been a more kindly way of resolving the issue.

16. padfoot

March 20, 2019 at 8:53 am

@Richard Street has got it right. And honestly, there’s like 1.5″ of extra skin showing than if she were wearing a tank top. and if you folks can’t understand why a young girl might be shaken by being publicly humiliated by crew and passengers, i really hope you don’t have kids.