News

This One Idea May Expedite Boarding Time by 71%

This One Idea May Expedite Boarding Time by 71%
Jackie Reddy

One man’s radical cabin design bans baggage to quicken boarding times by a whopping 71 percent.

Boarding a plane can be tedious, but one man’s view on baggage could expedite this painful process. For Devin Liddell, principal brand strategist at design consultancy Teague and founder of conceptual airline Poppi, the answer lies in banning carry-on luggage.

In an effort to improve the efficiency of air travel as well as the overall passenger experience, Liddell and his team have designed their own carrier. Poppi may be a hypothetical airline, but that hasn’t stopped Liddell from attempting to creatively address one of the main snafus of modern air travel.

Ironically, he and his team have done this by taking inspiration from the bygone age of flight, a time when overhead bins were used to store passengers’ hats.

Devoid of these bulky lockers, Liddell’s cabin design instead features slimmer compartments. These old-style “fedora bins”, as Liddell terms them, could be used to hold travelers’ bare essentials, such as laptop bags and purses.

Though this would be a radical departure from the current carry-on set-up featured by airlines around the globe, Liddell feels that it could have a substantial impact on boarding speed.

“In the boarding model that we used, fedora bins would increase the speed of boarding up to 71 percent,” Liddell explained in the Boston Globe. “It’s a huge difference in how fast people could get on and off the airplane.”

This scenario could also have positive implications for airport security. The idea is that, with no carry-on luggage to check, there would be a smoother flow of passengers through Transportation Security Administration checkpoints. Additionally, with shorter security waiting times, passengers would no longer need to arrive hours prior to take-off.

However, he concedes that, with passengers’ essential purses and laptop bags in the cabin, this space will never be truly free from luggage. Finally, he admits that the time saved during the departure process would be negated as passengers would still need to collect their checked luggage.

[Photo: Getty]

1. John Isaac

November 23, 2015 at 10:57 am

O Hell No!!!!

2. zarkov505

November 23, 2015 at 11:12 am

The guy is an idiot.

He fails to recognize that some passengers must carry medical items that CANNOT be checked, because failure to have them available IMMEDIATELY could result in an in-flight medical emergency. He fails to understand that some passengers carry medical items that CANNOT be easily replaced, or dispensed with, at the destination, when the inevitable baggage disruption occurs.

Imagine an asthma patient separated from his nebulizer and emergency meds. Worst case, you have a fatality. Better case, you have a medical diversion into, say, Pakistan or Afghanistan. In the good case, you have an entirely-manageable situation, one that the asthma patient (or his caregiver, if he is a child) is fully prepared and practiced to handle. (THIS IS NOT ENTIRELY HYPOTHETICAL: I had a rough time with a THAI counter agent in Frankfurt a few years ago, who wanted me to check my asthma nebulizer and emergency meds, for a flight from Frankfurt to Bangkok, going over Pakistan and Afghanistan. She finally realized that, if something went wrong, Questions Might Be Asked, and the answers would point straight back at her insistence on observing the Rules.)

3. BearX220

BearX220

November 23, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Stupid idea as long as thieves work as baggage handlers and checked luggage takes 30-45 minutes to emerge.

4. danielchee

November 23, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Most people are carrying on their bags because of the extra surcharge for checked bags. Make that free again like it used to be and there won’t be as many delays looking for empty compartments for bags. Medical supplies are small enough to fit in a smaller carry on that will fit under the seat in front of you. You do want quick access to it right? Worried about thieves baggage handlers? Do you think you can keep an eye on your bags the entire flight if you can’t fit it above you? There’s been a ring that got caught watching people board and figure out where their luggage ended up at. Then when the flight has been going on for a while, they walk up and take the bag elsewhere, pilfer through it and steal expensive stuff.

5. ioto1902

November 23, 2015 at 2:43 pm

I used to fly with open hat-racks some 40 years ago (with B707 or DC8)..
    When I see now, some people with enough carry-ons to fill two bins, that’s not a bad idea.
    Carry-on should be only for the things you need onboard (medical apparatus, …) and your most valuable items (ID, purse/wallet, PC, iPod, iPad, etc).
    This implies that airlines do not impose checked baggage fees.
    IMHO, the current mess onboard is due to airline policy.

6. bodapaty

November 23, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Obviously the “design guru” didn’t think through his whole “conceptual” process!! As others were quick to point out. In addition to meds, there are many legitimate reasons for carrying certain items into the aircraft. In case, the genius doesn’t realize it, airlines routinely lose luggage. I always prefer to carry at least one spare set of clothing.

7. sdsearch

November 23, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Another thing he hasn’t though through: Professional musicians who need to carry on the instrument (because the airlines refuse liability for it getting lost otherwise) and photographers who need to carry on all the expensive camera equipment (for the same reason), and I’m sure there are other examples of valueable (but necessary and in same cases bulky enough) things that airlines currently suggest you take in your carryon because they won’t be responsible for it get lost or stolen as checked luggage.

So has he really agreed that he will insure and guard all valuables that he forces you to put into checked luggage? I have my doubts. This is a typical pencil pusher who thinks there’s nothing valuable anyone needs to carry beyond a wallet, a phone, and a laptop/tablet, just because those are the only valuables he needs on his trip (and he can’t put himself in other people’s shoes).

8. AAJetMan

November 23, 2015 at 5:35 pm

I’m fine with this…as long as I can keep my backpack at my feet!!!!!

9. scnzzz

November 23, 2015 at 7:11 pm

The supposed benefit of not having to arrive early because of shorter security lines? Yeah, no. This of course assumes that all airlines using a given checkpoint observe the same rules. Also, the long lines will now be there to check bags. And with less to do, security checkpoints will reduce staff. Vicious circle. Poppi = brain-freeze

10. SirReadsAlot

November 23, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Professional photographers won’t feel great about having to check $15K worth of camera gear.

11. sfoeuroflyer

November 23, 2015 at 9:57 pm

No. A thousand times no. I travel on business and always carry on. Why? No risk of misplaced bags. No risk of theft of contents. Out of airport 40 minutes faster. This is a stupid idea. And to the post above who says “carry ons should only be what you use on the plane” who says that? The term is “carry on luggage” and people carry on for the reasons I listed, which are all valid.

12. chx1975

November 23, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Oh. Yeah. And then you have several hundred/thousand dollars worth in various glasses like photography, monitor and so forth and you suggest we check that in? Good idea… nope.

13. jonsg

November 24, 2015 at 1:40 am

Some people here clearly haven’t read the article.

You’d still be able to take something the size of a laptop bag on board – just not that 23kg lugaboard. Which is no bad thing. I’m sure that exceptions could be made for people who, for example, need portable oxygen – but the vast, vast majority of pax who need meds don’t need a tank-on-wheels to store them.

After seeing the brain-donors evacuating BA2276 after the engine fire, dragging their 35lb roll-alongs down the evacuation slides, I’m all for this, even transAtlantic.

14. zarkov505

November 24, 2015 at 3:03 am

@danielchee, No, medical equipment and supplies are NOT necessarily small enough to “fit in a smaller carry on that will fit under the seat in front of you”. I am an asthma patient. I also have obstructive sleep apnea, for which I must use a CPAP. While I don’t need the CPAP in flight, it most definitely MUST arrive with me, or I don’t get to sleep! Between the CPAP and the neb kit and the maintenance meds (and the power strip!), I fill a standard 22x14x9 rolling carryon bag. In theory, it could shrink a little, but not much.

The idiot also fails to take into account the EXTREMELY-well-documented problems with theft from checked baggage. I carry a backpack, that contains a DSLR camera, a notebook computer, a CD player, CD wallet, and a set of Bose noise-cancelling headphones. Ignoring that the phones are SPECIFICALLY for in-flight use, I have no interest in losing the camera and notebook to a light-fingered baggage rat and his TSA goon accomplice.

15. KoKoBuddy

November 24, 2015 at 8:46 am

What kind of medication do you people carry with you, that can’t be stored in a space big enough for a fedora?

16. greg99

November 24, 2015 at 7:17 pm

@KoKoBuddy – Often it’s not the medication that takes up so much space, but the equipment. Think, e.g., of someone who has injectible medication (diabetics) or even more complicated medication that requires extensive infusions or inhalations. Also, people often have complicated medical situations that require multiple medications and emergency supplies (like epipens) for the infusion.

When I travel with my family, we carry a paramedic bag (literally) the size of a standard rollaboard filled with medical equipment for a family member. That bag’s contents are worth ~$7500-$15K, depending upon how long we’re gone, when you factor in the cost of the medication. No way that’s going in the cargo compartment – some of it is literally irreplaceable in some of the countries to which we’ve traveled.

17. glazfolk

November 25, 2015 at 4:11 am

Shorter security lines maybe, and longer check-in lines as people have to check in baggage. Worse still, more expensive air fares as cost of handling checked in luggage by airlines is increased. This guy is a fool,

18. coastguard

November 25, 2015 at 4:22 am

He forgets us, the travelers! A turnaround can’t be made shorter as stuff has to be loaded and unloaded from the aircraft.
    A 71 percent improvement is utopia and maybe only valid for passenger loading and unloading – but there is more to it than only that too turn around an aircraft.

I would in fact increase the size of the overhead compartment that there is no such shortage or even redesign the cabin with a luggage compartment for hand luggage maybe separate or in addition of today’s space.
    We traveler hate lost or stolen luggage, we want to have control of our luggage all the time and most of us do travel light. And when we exit the aircraft we can exit the airport quick, or do you want to wait 30 minutes for your luggage – which may anyhow not come.

The service has to be build around us – passengers and not the opposite.

19. CaptainMiles

November 25, 2015 at 4:27 am

Mr. Liddell is only looking out for the airline interests, not the passengers’. By reducing boarding time in fact you could turn the plane around faster, saving ground time, crew pay, etc., and possibly getting more flights per day out of the same airframes. All good for the airline.

However, this comes at a great inconvenience to pax. Think about it.

Passengers who already today carry very little onboard (fedora-sized stuff) can already choose to be last to board because they are not fighting for overhead space. By boarding last, these people have no boarding delay today. Board, sit, close door, go. I often do this: arrive last minute, be last to board. This proposed new method makes no improvement for this people, their situation stays the same as at present.

Passengers who carry on bigger stuff would now have to arrive earlier at the airport to check the bag, and would have to wait for the bag delivery at the destination. What would you save? 71% of 20 minutes at boarding? Whoopee, 14 minutes saved! How much extra time do you waste by arriving early to check a bag and way for bag delivery? Yep, a lot more than 14 minutes. NOT a net time savings.

20. LloydStamps

November 25, 2015 at 4:39 am

It’s a good start, but the airlines are enjoying the revenue from baggage fees too much. Instead, reverse it: Charge for carry-on bags, make checked baggage free.

No professional musician with an expensive, delicate instrument is going to put it in an overhead bin to be mashed by other people’s carry-ons. The pros with larger instruments pay for a second seat (although some gate agents have given them trouble over that). I’d think that those with smaller instruments that do fit overhead would gladly pay a fee to bring the instrument onboard. Same with photographers or anyone else with expensive equipment.

Finally, I haven’t found the wait for checked baggage to be that long most times (and this is all about instant gratification, not valuable goods, isn’t it?) but I can easily get a spare set of underwear and any medicines into my laptop bag.

21. taina2

November 25, 2015 at 4:42 am

Any time saved boarding will be lost waiting for luggage in the airport. Bad idea. Enforce carry-on regulations to stop people from carrying on too much and hogging the storage space.

22. BMGRAHAM

November 25, 2015 at 4:47 am

Let’s ban passengers too. That would save even more time. In fact let’s ban flying too, imagine how much money that would save.

23. Mike Rivers

November 25, 2015 at 4:52 am

I know this is going to offend some people here, but if airlines went back to boarding the peanut gallery by rows from the rear forward, that would speed things up because you wouldn’t have people standing up in the middle of the plane and keeping others from getting to their seats. Airlinese say they’ve studied boarding and decided that rear-first really doesn’t get the plane boarded any faster, but I don’t believe it.

If someone wants to redesign the airplane, let’s go back to boarding both from the front and rear doors. Or put a big closet with shelves right by the boarding door so passengers with carry-ons can shove their bag in and quickly move back to their seats. I can remember a setup like that on planes in the late 1960s.

24. skirabbit

November 25, 2015 at 5:00 am

I am sure boarding time could be increased by 100% if the gate and flight attendants had cattle prods and shocked anyone taking too long to get on board. What a pathetic, myopic view. I never check luggage as it takes forever to come out, if it comes out. This sounds like the study that one consultancy did for the city of London where they said the tube over crowding could be reduced by slowing the tubes down – this would encourage people to take their cars?????? A “solution” that shifts the problem is not a solution….idiot…

25. Heenan73

November 25, 2015 at 5:05 am

TIP April fool’s articles should be published on 1st April.

The only serious point here is that airlines would have a quicker turnaround time, while passengers spend the usual 90 minutes hoping for their bags.

26. ChrL

November 25, 2015 at 5:14 am

Interesting… I suspect this would reduce the amount of time taken to board passengers and would increase the amount of time taken to load checked luggage. My gut feel is that this would increase the turnaround time overall.

How does the author propose that airlines deal with rerouting post check in? Eg if I arrive in PHX and my connecting flight to AUS is delayed then I may ask to change to a SAT flight. Easy with no checked luggage.

27. HomerJay

November 25, 2015 at 5:16 am

Cold dead fingers, pal.

You can have my carry-on – with my meds among other things – when you unwrap my cold, dead fingers that are holding it in a death grip.

Got that?

28. ScrodmanFL

November 25, 2015 at 5:18 am

Another reason for using only carry-on, and not checking any luggage, comes into play when weather or maintenance issues cause re-routing or missed connections, etc. Many times i’ve been able to switch flights and have all of my luggage with me and not have to wait hours at the destination for checked luggage or have to wait for it to be delivered by the airline.

29. SmarterNow

November 25, 2015 at 5:22 am

Why don’t we just tell the airlines to incent the right behavior. Check all you want for FREE. Charge a lot for carry ons. A cure without new plane. The other way would be to ENFORCE the rules. One carry on and one personal item. Some people get on looking like pack mules and take up more space then they are entitled to. They also wait till the bag is in the bin then try to open it to find a book, a kindle or whatever. These folks are toooooo STUPID and INCONSIDERATE to fly on any plane.

30. Limaye

November 25, 2015 at 5:36 am

A backpack should be OK. Some people carry almost 10 to 12 kg in the cabin (rather than 7 kg) . If boarding is done by Row numbers with the back rows boarding first and front rows boarding last, almost 50% time could be saved.

31. 0luke1

November 25, 2015 at 5:39 am

Since becoming disabled, I cannot carry on anything but my slingbag with my iPad, glasses,phone and meds. I use uber to get to the airport and do curbside checkin. I no longer wear suits, but attend meetings (up to the CEO level) in open collar and blazer, so my checked suitcase is easy to handle (only one arm works).

It’s awesome. I travel just as much, have had zero problems with checked bags and wish the airlines would stop overhead storage immediately.

32. krlcomm

November 25, 2015 at 5:42 am

“Finally, he admits that the time saved during the departure process would be negated as passengers would still need to collect their checked luggage.” AND create massive lines to check it in… NO THANKS!

33. Debbi

November 25, 2015 at 5:44 am

I travel with a $23,000 laser scanner and a computer to run it. Do you seriously think I’d let a baggage handler take it? This is totally unrealistic. I was also a flight attendant for Pan Am so I understand his frustration, but get real.

34. bbp

November 25, 2015 at 5:57 am

I’m all for it. I travel about 50% and usually only carry on essential items like electronics (laptop and work related), my glasses, and a warm layer. I have one bag that I put under the seat. I agree that it seems backwards for airlines to have put fees on checked bags which guarantees more carry on and slower loading. But from their stand point, what do they care if it makes for a lousy customer experience? Personally I’d like airlines to charge per pound for the bags AND passenger. One personal carry on item unless you pay for it (to accommodate business travelers who pay more anyway). My most recent flights I noticed people who had a carry on style bag, backpack and large purse or other ‘personal’ item. Obviously flaunting the rules and intent. While we are at it, lets load back to front, windows in too, except the normal status and needs based loading, and we’d all get on and off a lot faster. Retrieving bags will always be a pain, so get over it.

35. m44

November 25, 2015 at 6:02 am

@KokoBuddy and too many others who obviously have limited knowledge and experience and are not willing to find out what is it that they do not know – do you really need to prove your limitations?

But I am amazed by utter incompetence, lack of logic, thinking and ability to analyse by American Airlines customer service. My multiple recent experiences with AA Customer service proved to me that the incompetence and arrogance flows from the top and begins with the Ms. Rubin the top dog and Mr. WIlliams her customer facing employee. The bottom rangs of AA CS are equally clueless. Out of dozens of encounters I had less than 2 that were competently handled by former US Airways employees. The errors are copping up everywhere I turn and corrections are taking months or never are done. The type of errors I encountered are obviously because of poor supervision and executions and attitude flowing from the top – everyone can make those. But lack of willingness to correct them is glaring.
    It is no surprise to see the roots of it – check AA T&C preamble and its tone. It explains nearly everything including the incident of the fat boy ejection.
    But pay attention to detail – AA permits over-sized people to overflow 2 inches out of the seat. Is it 2 inches per side or the total of both sides.
    Given that the seat back are narrower than shoulder width of any tall normal weight person – I see a lot of candidates to be ejected from the plane.

36. osamede

November 25, 2015 at 6:02 am

Banning cabin luggage is a non-starter, particularly when thieves operate with impunity in the supposedly “secure” baggage areas of airports.

Rather can mangling the product, why not be more practical? Most airplanes have like 4-8 doors, many even more, spread throughout the plain. Airlines typically board passengers though ONE door. Use more of the doors and designate specific doors for specific seats. That will get you passengers in their seats faster.

Also, the more that passengers are crammed like sardines in rows that are 3-4 deep, the longer it is going to take to get everyone in their seat. That isnt the passengers fault. And taking away their valuables is not a “solution” either.

37. SkyForce6

November 25, 2015 at 6:07 am

Stupid idea! No way in hell I would abandon my beloved carry on bag with goods in it in excess of $5000 to be handled by luggage handlers who are not careful and some of them are thief’s. Also some people need their medical equipment such as CPAP machines. Also there is many passenger who want to travel with only one bag so called one bag ninjas who definitely do not want to wait for their bag at baggage claim nor do they want to wait in check in lines before departure. Also he did not think of International travel were passengers are buying duty free gods at the airport or pre-booked it before the flight. Those bags need over head bins of proper size.

A very bad idea from this designer!

38. jlkline

November 25, 2015 at 6:15 am

Absolutely not! In addition to all the valid reasons cited so far, this is another to add.

If a flight is delayed or cancelled, I have the ability, even if already on board, to leave the plane and take another flight. This is not possible if my overnite bag is sitting in the hold or in the baggage system.

A better idea might be to raise the seats and put the cabin luggage bins underneath them in pull out drawers. No more wrestling heavy bags up into those bins to speed up the boarding / unloading process.

39. mattjanderson2000

November 25, 2015 at 6:17 am

Booooo!

40. John Z Wetmore

November 25, 2015 at 6:17 am

I produce a television program, and have my camera and microphone gear in my carry-on bag. In addition to not wanting airline baggage handling to destroy the gear, I need to have it for interviews I have scheduled starting the day I arrive. Lost or delayed checked baggage would be a disaster.

Plus one to all the other reasons people have given that this is a half-baked idea that won’t accomplish what it claims.

41. brandsberg

November 25, 2015 at 6:20 am

You are right! This guy is an idiot. Bags are carried on board for many reasons and he addresses none of them.
    1. Theft of valuables stored in checked bags
    2. Important items we need on the plane from reading material to medicine to medical devices like CPAP machines that needs to be carried with us.
    3. Batteries. All batteries need to be brought onboard and cannot be stored under the plane.
    4. Increasingly short transfers between flights.
    5. Cost, the airlines have encouraged us to take items on board by charging for checked bags. I always thought it was backwards, but what do I know.

By the way, why is it so important to have a quick board time? Would you rather we got stressed out by being treated like cattle? Oh I forgot, we already are. :(

42. lhrsfo

November 25, 2015 at 6:46 am

The simple solution is not to redesign planes but merely redesign the economics. Permit the smaller carry on bag as free and charge, say, £40 more for the other one than would be paid as a checked bag fee. Then those who want to carry it on board can do so but the great majority of people will save the money. Boarding times would be improved enormously and people would have a choice.

43. davidb4775

November 25, 2015 at 7:23 am

Airlines (most) have made the conscious decision to trade checked bag reevenue for increased gate times. Those longer times do translate into real money. If checked bag fees were less costly, there would be a greater incentive for people to check non-essential bags. Is the author going to provide free loss insurance for pilfered items?

44. Billiken

November 25, 2015 at 7:50 am

So we save time in the boarding process but have to wait net longer at baggage claim?
    Stupid idea

Enforce the sizers and 2 carry-on limit.

45. NJCathi

November 25, 2015 at 7:58 am

Boarding flights was best during the brief period after one of the many terrorist attempts when no luggage was allowed onboard. Flights boarded in record time and we didn’t have any of the pile-ups on the jetway caused by passengers who carry on more than they can lift or bigger than the overhead will handle.

46. mh3c

November 25, 2015 at 8:33 am

A bunch of people with their panties in a twist over a theoretical. Besides, what kind of “idiot” still carries CDs and a CD wallet? You’re exhibit “A” as to why we never have room in the bins.

47. zitsky

November 25, 2015 at 8:56 am

So it’s ok for you to bring your laptop, but not ok for my larger bag? Doesn’t sound fair to me. Let’s make people check their laptops. That’s fair.

48. perditechno

November 25, 2015 at 10:08 am

The solution is pretty simple.
    At the gate, for people waiting in line to board, has digital seat numbers on the floor so people can line up according to their seats. When people board, these numbers change. If it’s your turn to board but you’re not there, then you move to the back of the line. That way people in the back of the plane board first and in the order of their seats. It’s not that hard to do.

49. middlekingdom

November 25, 2015 at 10:30 am

Why should we just stop with this brilliant suggestion of banning carry-on?

Ah no, I have other suggestions
    People who need special assistance take too long to board. People needing special assistance will not be allowed to board any more. This is may discriminate against the elderly, which is against the law so it will apply only to families with small children (unless they are willing to pay more)

One more idea, why not time how long it takes to get to your seat from the time your boarding pass is scanned. So airline can put sensors in the seat, which is linked to check in system and will automatically calculate the time. So a person in row two may have four minutes to get to his or her sear, the person in row 28, seven minutes and so on (I am sure someone can calculate the exact numbers). If you take more time because you made small talk with the FA or the person in row 4, you will have to pay for it. Nothing like the threat of a fine to make you move faster.

Better still, airlines can mine this information and sell it to say a yoga teacher who will help you become more flexible or to a nutrition supplement company that make your joints nimble. The possibilities are endless,

50. Morgacj2004

November 25, 2015 at 10:44 am

I really don’t understand all of the hostility coming from certain readers. This guy is simply making suggestions that will expedite getting thru security and onto the airplane in a much more timely manner. As a frequent flyer I understand the hesitancy to check in ones bags out of fear that they might get lost, pilfered thru etc. I also understand that the airlines are 100% responsible for the current mess due to all of the added fees. I think a compromise could be made in that the airlines would agree to allow one free checked bag for everyone in exchange for reducing the amount, size of current carry on’s. Another possible solution would be for the airlines to require all carry on’s other than laptops, purses to be gate checked. This would not be my preference as it would also slow the boarding process. Obviously the airlines will have to make exceptions for medical equipment and other special circumstances. We all need to use some common sense here without all of the name calling and insults!!

51. IBobi

IBobi

November 25, 2015 at 12:05 pm

I am all for it. Ban the carry-on. Good riddance. Just don’t charge me to check it.

52. gmmscott

November 25, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Clearly the design of an aircraft is not optimal from a passenger pov if it requires people to lift luggage over their heads to place it in storage. This is a ridiculous design in that regard, but I don’t know enough about pane design to know whether you could elevate the seats, have underfloor storage and still have an ergonomically viable cabin and an aerodynamic plane. I’m assuming not becuase the engineers at Boeing and Airbus etc oughtto have been smart enough to solve for that if it was possible.

Just saying that on and off-boarding a plane is about the stupidest thing I do on a regular basis in terms of user-experience!

53. Mike Rivers

November 25, 2015 at 1:55 pm

perditechno wrote:
    “The solution is pretty simple.
    At the gate, for people waiting in line to board, has digital seat numbers on the floor so people can line up according to their seats.”

Southwest does something like that already, but it’s not about seat numbers, it’s according to the order in which you checked in. Since Southwest’s seats are unassigned, the assumption is that those who check in earliest (or the premium passengers) will get on board first and grab their seats, then everyone else will board in an order over which they have a certain degree of control. The stragglers will have to look for seats anyway, and those with carry-on baggage will tend to find seats near where there’s space available overhead.

I don’t know whether or not this actually works more efficiently than other line-up schemes,but it makes me feel better when I’m in the front of the line of Group B in Southwest than when I’m one of the four or five people in the Group 5 line on United, and see all of thse passengers in Groups 1 and 2 who paid more for their flight than I did clog the jetway and hog the overhead bin space. But I suppose that’s part of what they’re paying for..

54. vicjang

November 25, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Oh yeah! Brilliant idea!

Let’s have 500 people waiting for their small 19″ luggages all in the hall and make leaving the airport even more difficult than boarding!

55. wedgeclose

November 25, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Why is it that every time someone suggests limiting carry ons that every handicapped person in the world has to get on and claim disabilities and such for them to be an exception. There is a solution to this handicapped dilemma. Run an air ambulance for all of them once a week then they can all travel together and share their stories….geez….

56. PepeBorja

November 25, 2015 at 7:16 pm

The solution is easy. Charge for carry on luggage a well as checked in luggage. Let the customer decide who then handles the load after they pay the fee. Easy as pie. Most casual fliers will choose to check in rather tan carry as the incentive to carry on the luggage is gone. The airlines can use the extra revenue for whatever they please. If the bag goes in the overhead it pays the bag fee. That will be the day sanity returns to air travel.

57. ChloeCat42

November 28, 2015 at 11:35 am

bbp, weight passenger and luggage? so because all of my family is over 6’2″ we are would pay more than someone like you yet i bet our assess are smaller than yours…jerk.

58. LostAntipod

December 2, 2015 at 7:24 am

Can’t believe Flyertalk is even giving this article any oxygen. Poorly thought through and of zero value to the frequent flyer community.

59. LostAntipod

December 2, 2015 at 7:26 am

“In the boarding model I used, making passengers travel naked saved 71% in time required to empty pockets and take off shoes and belts at TSA checkpoints” says design guru Nev Erbeenthere.