Air India

They Share Hotel Rooms Now: Air India’s Crew Is the Latest Target of Its Cost-Saving Measures

Jackie Reddy

Mired in debt, India’s national carrier is deploying a raft of measures that it hopes will allow it to save some much-needed cash. These initiatives include ensuring employees pay for their taxis, asking crew members to share hotel rooms at mid-range properties and not upgrading family and friends.

Mired in debt, India’s national carrier is deploying a raft of measures that it hopes will enable it to save some money, The Economic Times reports.

Earlier this week, Jayant Sinha, India’s Minister of State for Civil Aviation, revealed that what has been described as a revival package for Air India would be unveiled shortly. While the specifics aren’t yet known, the outlet reports that, in the meantime, Air India is already rolling out a number of cost-saving measures.

For example, cabin crew who are running late for their flights will now be required to pay the cost of their own taxis to the airport. As an added enticement to timeliness, the outlet reports that, “…the airline will roster the late-comers for only domestic flights for a year, where they stand to lose their overseas flying allowance.”

As another measure, Air India is asking crew operating out of bases outside of New Delhi to relocate to the nation’s capital. In a similar vein, crew accommodation is another area where the carrier is seeking to cut costs; it has now asked cabin crew to share a twin occupancy room rather than private single units and requests that staff stay in more modest three-star accommodation as opposed to luxurious four- and five-star properties.

The carrier is also clamping down on staff using their discounts to upgrade family and friends from economy to more lucrative classes and, in a bid to protect its reputation as well as its coffers, has asked employees to avoid appearing in or publishing in any objectionable online content.

Air India is said to have addressed this particular point earlier this summer in a statement, which, as quoted by the outlet, read, “It has been reported that several videos are being posted by cabin crew in uniform on YouTube, Music.Ly (Tic Toc, Facebook etc) which are not only in bad taste but also do not reflect well for the company.”

Image: Flickr

1. zerodegre

October 9, 2018 at 3:29 pm

You guys who say no are ridiculous. If I pay the cost I should get whatever I want. I am doing business on Emirates to Thailand this month from the US. I do not think I could even do this flight in coach. If I pay the 7 grand per ticket. And my baby has to pay $700 to sit in my lap then I can do what I want. Get over it !!

2. southpac

October 9, 2018 at 6:21 pm

all crew with every airline, should share twin rooms with crew members of same sex, as long as one is not gay.

Airlines are going to have trouble surviving the great recession WE HAVE TO HAVE. It’s going to be ugly. Primera has gone. Who will be next ?

3. fotographer

October 10, 2018 at 3:09 am

Zerodegre,, what are you on about, the article is about cost cutting for staff not customers?

4. makrom

October 10, 2018 at 3:52 am

@zerodegre What does this have to do with anything?

5. djjaguar64

October 10, 2018 at 6:50 pm

No one wants to buy this pitiful airline, tch tch tch! Its dying a slow death!

6. Dhamal

November 13, 2018 at 6:24 am

AI doing this, is a start, lots of companies only give discounted fare for hotels, they do not pay for hotel stays.. if I’, getting a free stay I don’t mind sharing a room with a co-worker, what’s the big deal if it’s not costing me to go to work. It’s like they are sharing with passengers..

@djjaguar64 , there is no need to buy it when the government is funding the program. it’s critics like yoiu make this airline look bad.. Almost 90% of the Asian population often take AI for their service and lower airfares. I’m sure you would do the same if your company or FF progam is not paying for your ticket.. I’m a million miler on both Skyteam & Mileageplus. I often fly AI from EWR to AMD in economy, service is way better than any American legacy carrier. Please keep you 2 cents to yourself if you have nothing to contribute to the artivcle

7. kkua

November 22, 2018 at 10:54 am

Do you really want to hear your colleague fart in the middle of the night in your shared hotel room? Better yet, what if the flight attendants find out they are both sleeping with the same pilot? Poor decision. Just limit the crew to airport hotels instead of city center hotels.