Aircraft

Would You Travel in This Tiny Business Class Seat?

Would You Travel in This Tiny Business Class Seat?
Joe Cortez

The cabin of the future could entail business class cabins that are more efficient, using smaller seats to serve the multiple needs of premium cabin travelers. A Singapore design firm is betting on this, by creating what may be a space-efficient business class.

Will airline flyers accept a smaller, yet more efficient business class seat? One Singapore-based design firm believe that “using the wasted space” could create a better customer experience for everyone. CNN reports AirGo Design is shopping around a cabin that wants to utilize every inch of the front cabin.

The “Galaxy” experience offers two kinds of business-class seats for different types of flyers. Along the windows of the aircraft are smaller, couch-style sleeper seats that can be adjusted as needed for different flyers. With just 27.6 inches of pitch on these outer seats, the squeeze is rather tight. However, dividing walls between the window seats can be raised or lowered, creating a shared space or queen-sized sleeping area. AirGo says these seats are ideal for couples or families traveling in the forward cabin.

The middle seats are designed more like traditional business class seats, with nearly double the pitch of the window seats. These seats are designed for solo travelers who wish to work or sleep in privacy as they fly.

The space-efficient seats are designed for wide-body aircraft, such as the Boeing 777, 787 Dreamliner, or the Airbus A330. According to the design company, their space-saving design can fit 36 seats and a cocktail bar on most aircraft.

With more aircraft looking to seat as many flyers as possible, cabins with smaller seats and more efficient layouts are becoming more appealing in the industry. At the 2019 Aircraft Interiors Expo, two seats stole the show: a “standing seat” which could be a “basic economy” option, as well as the business class “Settee Corner,” designed like a couch for communal work or dining.

AirGo is currently working to patent the seat design and layout, but has no intention of manufacturing their own cabins. Instead, the company plans on creating a prototype mockup for passengers and airlines to gauge interest in their seat concept. Who would actually construct it remains to be announced.

[Featured Image: AirGo Design]

1. cmd320

August 6, 2019 at 6:40 am

I don’t understand what’s so revolutionary. This is basically the same herringbone seat VS still uses on some aircraft and CX used for years. They were horrible, cramped, and coffin-like. The addition of a lowering divider will not really change that for anyone who isn’t traveling with a companion.

2. fotographer

August 6, 2019 at 8:51 am

no thanks

3. strickerj

August 6, 2019 at 8:52 am

This just looks like cost cutting being marketed as efficiency to make it more palatable. As usual, I doubt any of the savings will be passed on to the customer.

4. Bear4Asian

August 6, 2019 at 10:09 am

Efficiency=Less space for consumers and more profit for the airlines.

And then there’s this, “…their space-saving design can fit 36 seats and a cocktail bar on most aircraft.” A great use of “wasted space” to waste space.

5. SpartyAir

August 6, 2019 at 12:40 pm

I always book window seats. I like to look out at the scenery. It is stupid to have such a cramped space by the window. The main reason I choose business class is for the space, certainly not for the food.

It’s BUSINESS CLASS, not family class.

6. FlyingNone

August 6, 2019 at 5:51 pm

I can’t even tell what I’m looking at……how does one get in or out of this space, they crawl on their hands and knees ? Plus, you’d have to be laying down to use the seat belt. Looks distorted to me.

7. zgscl

August 6, 2019 at 9:58 pm

This looks horrible.

8. craig44485

August 7, 2019 at 12:35 am

I pay for Business Class for more personal space, not the meals or fancy amenity kits. if I want to fly in economy.

9. GetSetJetSet

August 7, 2019 at 1:43 am

Absolutely not.

10. The_Bouncer

August 7, 2019 at 4:21 am

At the right price and with the right person, yes I would book this. However, it would need to cost significantly less than a proper business class product. This is more comparable to NZ’s Sky Couch than it is to business class.

11. Gringuito

August 7, 2019 at 4:22 am

If this is Premium Eco @ Premium Economy price, yes! 🙂

12. Shareholder

August 7, 2019 at 4:39 am

Why is this even called a Business class seat? It’s merely a slight upgrading of the Premium Economy concept.

13. kimikoftokyo

kimikoftokyo

August 7, 2019 at 5:24 am

This looks like a mess. I am here telling you I am not small my hips will be like ” why?” lol if they make the seats any smaller I can rent a personal plane and fly myself. I cant pictures myself flying 17 hours cramped up like that. It’s stupid there’s no other word to describe this. They are worried about their pockets, not our comfort. As the person above me mentioned I chose business class for the room , if they are the same or smaller than economy why waste my money?

14. BENLEE

August 7, 2019 at 5:49 am

Horrible design.

15. brobin

August 7, 2019 at 6:22 am

To answer the title’s question, no, HELL no! It looks awful. There’s not even room for both legs (look at the guy lying down). And if the partition is up, as it would likely be for solo travelers, you might just as well be packed in a cardboard box! Uh-oh, I hope I didn’t give the “designer” a new idea.

16. pmiranda

August 7, 2019 at 6:25 am

Might be interesting to do one side of the plane “couples class” on a long haul route. Most families are not going to spring for multiples of economy fare for their children. I occasionally spring for business class for myself or with my wife, but when we travel with our son it’s usually at peak fare seasons because children are in school the rest of the time so the 3 of us are already 6X or more a non-peak solo economy fare.

17. kkua

August 7, 2019 at 7:03 am

It’s aimed for the occasional splurger and not for the frequent flier. I’m fairly certain the airlines will get at least 2x the revenue versus the frequent flier who upgrades with points.

18. jrm68

August 7, 2019 at 7:16 am

I had a claustrophobic feeling just looking at those mock ups. Can you even imagine a western adult male fitting in any of them? I also normally travel solo while on business and would hate to have to choose the middle seats, because of the family seating at the windows. I pay more for more space, if I wanted to be surrounded by people with no personal space, I would save the cash and fly economy. I hope no airline bites at these seats.

19. AJNEDC

August 7, 2019 at 7:29 am

Sure as long as the price is tiny as well.

20. SteveHK

August 7, 2019 at 7:58 am

The ‘family’ watching the screen is ridiculous. How are they going to handle the audio for three people? Also, leaning against the aircraft wall is NOT going to be comfortable. These seats look terrible!

21. jmsikora

August 7, 2019 at 8:03 am

No, no, no. This is just further degradation of the business class experience. I recently flew Air New Zealand business class from Auckland to Chicago. It had a “new”configuration of business class that was just weird. The window seats faced away from the window so you really couldn’t look out. The center row had two seats that were angled so that you actually looked at the people in the window seats. You could see out of the window but they really can’t. It’s also a bit strange that if you want to sit together you choose Row 2x and Row 3x. Center configurations sit back to back.

22. Fornebufox

August 7, 2019 at 8:08 am

Awful–the “beds” in the first photo look like hospital gurneys!

23. SoCalPLT

August 7, 2019 at 8:22 am

Get rid of the cocktail bar and add more room to the seats. A no brainier. Why have a cocktail bar?!?

24. Full Score

August 7, 2019 at 8:40 am

Pity the person with sleep apnea. Nowhere to put a CPAP machine, so loud snoring throughout the flight. Not too great for the person the other side of the screen with their head 18 inches away. What a stupid concept. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

25. Letitride3c

August 7, 2019 at 9:54 am

Must include a pair of Bose NC headsets in case one get snoring from both sides, in Dolby stero – 6 inches away from friendly neighbors. Looks fine for the 3 slim models demo for the shown.
    Really, space-efficient for the airline/carrier … that is. No thanks.

26. sfcharles1

August 7, 2019 at 10:19 am

I don’t get it.
    Are they 3 wide as depicted in one shot, or two wide? What do they look like in the locked and upright position?
    Not the best depiction…and I don’t get the measurements…
    Is this a PR piece, in the end? A test marketing?
    As a passenger I want more space and more privacy, not less space and more community. two thumbs down.

27. raymondcmastalish

August 7, 2019 at 10:54 am

Ridiculous – while I have my cocktails when flying, having a bar take up space in business class is unacceptable. Let’s get comments from the airline CEO’s who should be made to travel in these proposed seats and see how they feel about them. Again, ridiculous.

28. travlr222

August 7, 2019 at 11:11 am

I would not consider this seating plan even if it were offered at half the price of economy. Really horrible.

29. arcticflier

August 7, 2019 at 12:16 pm

That seating arrangement would be acceptable when I am flying with my girlfriend but certainly not with my wife.

30. Great_circle

August 7, 2019 at 1:14 pm

Nope, nope nope….
    Although I had a couple of good inflight cocktail lounges while travelling on EK and QR (without smaller seats 🙂

31. ConnieDee

August 7, 2019 at 1:26 pm

Yep, because you can lie down (or sit.) But I happen to be a size that’s apparently some kind of “standard human size”: 5’6″ under 150#. (And yes, not being able to look out the window would bug me. But windows are also becoming an overlooked feature: I was recently on a plane where every single window was out of alignment with any seat.)

32. flyingmz

August 7, 2019 at 3:11 pm

for comfort, travel by train! Screw the airlines like they are screwing us! Yes, I bet the CEO never flew economy, let alone this proposed mess. I think they just want to get rid of the cheap seat riders and then make business class the new “discomfort”

33. chillbaby

August 7, 2019 at 6:49 pm

Wow, not sure what to say beyond they have to be kidding… April Fools?? Looks terrible

34. BOBAD

August 7, 2019 at 8:31 pm

April the first is late this year….. There can not possibly be any other reason for this absurd article which I absolutely refuse to take seriousy. Get a grip.

35. KRSW

August 7, 2019 at 10:50 pm

So…they’re proposing this be used for Premium Economy, right?

36. Gizzabreak

August 7, 2019 at 11:52 pm

“… smaller seats to serve the multiple needs of premium cabin travelers. A Singapore design firm is betting on this …”. And I guess all the airlines would love to squeeze another 10? 50? 500? percent more business seats into the business cabin to serve business traveller’s “multiple needs”. And perhaps charge an extra premium for being so considerate of their business customer’s “multiple needs” … for less space. I visualize an enthusiastic team of small stature Singaporean (recent) design graduates rushing to their employer’s design studio to enthusiastically ‘pen’ the final touches on this revolutionary new concept … evolved perhaps, from the 20 square metre (200 square foot more or less) tower block rental unit they call home.

I’m not “betting on it”. Instead I’m more inclined to reminisce on the success of a British pop band of my youth, Manfred Mann and their 1967 release ‘Ha ha said the clown’. This toungue in cheek effort to “serve the needs of premium class travelers” strikes me as more likely to be resolved as a ‘prem-ecom’ design folder that was accidently placed in the Business Cless ‘smart ideas’ filing tray.

As a mature and not highly price sensitive ‘business’ traveler, would these revolutionary Mk 1 herringbone derived “smaller seats to serve the multiple needs of premium cabin travelers” entice me to switch carrier? Sure would. About 5 milliseconds after my current preferred carrier decided to implement such a bizarre concept I’d be transferring any further business to an alternative carrier.

37. tommygreece

August 8, 2019 at 2:15 am

NO WAY !

38. seat1kforme

August 8, 2019 at 5:48 am

Travelling with children! They are in economy with the nanny. Why would one wish to pay and occupy one of these seats . Sorry no way .

39. CO FF

August 9, 2019 at 10:36 am

If it’s that vs a typical 2019 business seat (or even a typical pre-Polaris UA business seat), I’d prefer business.
    If it’s that vs Premium Economy, I’d prefer this; the flatbed rules for long trips.
    But it also depends who’s paying!