Airlines

The Most Common Reasons Passengers Get Kicked off of Flights

The Most Common Reasons Passengers Get Kicked off of Flights

Thanks to social media and other reporting methods, passenger misbehavior on flights appears to be at an all-time high. Business Insider reports the most common reasons that passengers get kicked off flights and the procedures that the crew follows for dealing with unruly fliers.

Being a flight attendant is all about passenger safety. During training, safety is drilled into flight attendants for six weeks. So if passengers are behaving in a manner that puts the rest of the flight at risk, then flight attendants have the option to refuse to allow passengers to board, restrain passengers, divert the flight and even use tasers in extreme cases.

Flight attendants jobs are to enforce safety on board and that includes getting passengers to comply with the law which says that passengers must obey flight attendants instructions. Flight attendants don’t have the authority to get passengers to comply, that’s the pilots’ job. But usually pilots will back up flight attendants.

Things that flight attendants look for are:

• Showing signs of drinking too much before boarding
  • Being sick or vomiting
  • Being disrespectful or aggressive to the crew
  • Getting physical with someone
  • Trying to open the door mid-flight (it’s not possible, but people try anyway)

These are all serious potential problems that can cause issues for not only the crew but also other passengers. As a result, the pilot may decide how to deal with the situation.

1. Mick R

June 12, 2018 at 5:00 am

tbh I think the most common reason why people get kicked off flights is because people are stupid

2. cynthiakay123

June 12, 2018 at 5:08 am

I had a recent incident with Jet Blue. I am convinced that they have an us vs. them mentality. The flight attendant (supervisor) acted horribly to me. She overreacted, provoked a situation, verbally attacked me and made false accusations. Basically, she called me a liar and a fraud. Loudly. In front of everyone around me. And threatened to stop the plane from taking off. It was a scene right out of United. Until then, I had always had a good feeling about Jet Blue. That is no longer. They scare me.

3. BC Shelby

June 12, 2018 at 11:16 am

Cynthiakay, I hear you on that. I’ve read where flight and cabin crews will refer to passengers (in general) using less than congenial language, likening them to a load of cargo rather then living beings with a mind and soul.

4. thetravelguy

June 12, 2018 at 11:56 am

What about asking other the passengers how much they paid for their seats, & telling THE TRUTH of how airlines REALLY fill their most comfortable seats. Would that get you kicked off a plane?

5. NarcissusNoir

June 12, 2018 at 1:24 pm

It boils down to: act right, or get out. ONE sign of belligerence or inability to listen to cabin crew instructions is enough grounds to have you removed from the plane. And it’s imperative that this is done, because 35,000 miles above the earth, there’s no one up there with the cabin crew. No 911 to call. Nothing particularly safe about being stuck in a tube 35k up in the sky with someone who can’t behave. Just look online for some news articles, there’s a plethora of dangerous things that happen because dirt bag passengers who can’t behave correctly.

6. MaldivesFreak

MaldivesFreak

June 12, 2018 at 8:18 pm

NarcissusNoir wrote “35,000 miles above the earth”.
    I didn’t know passenger jets flew 15% of the way to the moon, LMAO.

7. bkcarolina

June 13, 2018 at 1:22 am

That’s it???? This is all the article has to say? Mmmmmm…..click bait, anyone?

8. Anglicum

June 13, 2018 at 1:57 am

Wow 35,000 MILES above the earth? there certainly isn’t anyone up there not even cabin crew

9. poopbunny

June 13, 2018 at 2:06 am

Best thing to do is comply and be on your best behavior. Get allies if possible. Before you disembark. Get the flight attendant name and collectively complain in force by writing.

10. brazilexpert

June 13, 2018 at 7:53 am

big time “untrue article”it is a shame that flyertalk even publish something like it. flight attendants even pilots are very rude, i myself witness so many situations …american airline business class was doing bully to a elderly lady seated in front on me!…i can not write in a single page of paper how many time i witness the abuse of crew on passengers!
    drinking on flight is annoying…cut off the drink! anyone knows that after the 1st drink people can lose their stop on drinking more! i do not drink at all!
    Please Flyertalk i think you know better!

11. chrystinp

June 19, 2018 at 8:22 pm

I’ve been on flights where I WISHED they’d booted a passenger off prior to departure. Why do drunks think the rest of us should suffer their boorish behavior? I’ve sure felt like I was 35000 miles above the earth with no real-time hope of being released from a nightmare. (Give the person a break, folks, the brain just went to miles rather than feet, it happens, no one died.)