News

Televangelist: I Fly Private Because Passengers Get Dragged off Commercial Flights

Joe Cortez

Kenneth Copeland is once again justifying his use of private aircraft, this time saying that flyers are a distraction. During an ambush interview, the televangelist told reporters that he doesn’t want to be interrupted by drunk or disruptive passengers as he prepares to preach a sermon.

According to Kenneth Copeland, doing holy work requires one to fly in a private jet.

The televangelist once again defended his use of a fleet of private aircraft during an ambush interview with Inside Edition. As noted by travel blog View From the Wing, the minister owns multiple aircraft, including one purchased from filmmaker Tyler Perry.

During the interview, Copeland claimed that flyers “get pushed into alcohol.” As a result, passengers may be forcefully removed from aircraft, which can cause disruption and distraction. The most famous case may be that of David Dao, who was dragged off a United Airlines flight in 2017. In that situation, Dao was not inebriated but rather refused to give up his seat on an overbooked flight.

Copeland says that while he loves people, commercial flying is not conducive to preparing to preach the gospel. Thus, he flies aboard one of his private aircraft, including a Gulfstream V. Private aircraft management company Liberty Jet estimates a Gulfstream V to cost upwards of $8.25 million, with annual costs exceeding $1.5 million for 200 hours of flight time.

“Do you think that’s a good place for a preacher to be and prepare to go preach to a lot of people when somebody in there is dragging some woman down an aisle,” Copeland told Inside Edition. “I can’t be doing that when I’m trying to get ready to preach.”

In 2018, the televangelist asked his followers to donate towards the purchase an additional jet for his fleet.

[Featured Image:

1. calnballot

June 7, 2019 at 9:21 am

The hypocrisy just jumps off his face. Can you imagine Jesus opining that flying commercial with common folk interferes with his preaching the gospel, with all their annoyances. And, come on – I fly 100,000+ a year and, although I know it happens, have never actually witnessed somebody being dragged off an airplane. It is hardly a nagging inconvenience. People live in poverty and he needs a bigger airplane.

2. topman

June 7, 2019 at 9:33 am

entitled p….
    on the dime of his flock…..
    and the US tax payers……

3. jjmoore

June 7, 2019 at 9:37 am

His comment is about as ignorant as his profession.

4. kkua

June 7, 2019 at 9:51 am

A man of God should be humble. A preacher of God and the following of Jesus should also observe the vow of poverty and practice the daily ritual of begging for food. Copeland should practice what should have been preached. This action is everything but hunble or poor.

5. quicky

June 7, 2019 at 10:53 am

I am glad not to be close to such an evil person in any flight, real good news!

6. edgewood49

June 7, 2019 at 1:13 pm

Same old dribble, if people in this day and age still fall for this crap so be it, let’s get on with some more important Joe

7. Boggie Dog

June 7, 2019 at 1:37 pm

Who would want to be a member of his flock?

Like the TV Preachers of the past living like kings while begging the poorest of the poor to send them their meager funds.

NOT A MAN OF GOD!

8. LukeO9

June 7, 2019 at 8:34 pm

Tax evading con artists

9. fotographer

June 8, 2019 at 3:25 am

“I fly private because my fans just give me money”

10. SarcasticMisanthrope

June 8, 2019 at 5:19 am

Maybe Dog is his pilot?

11. TRANSWORLDMARINE

June 9, 2019 at 1:36 am

Plenty of Boys on the Private Jet!

12. RandyN

June 9, 2019 at 7:01 am

If this huckster actually believed in hell he wouldn’t be living this life.

13. am1108

June 9, 2019 at 8:56 am

I’m not going to delve into this as much as I want to, but I disagree with his statement. “Do you think that’s a good place for a preacher to be and prepare to go preach to a lot of people when somebody in there is dragging some woman down an aisle,” IMO this would be a great sermon topic on how to be a good neighbor, etc.

14. CharlotteYork

June 9, 2019 at 1:37 pm

Doesn’t everybody fly on their private jet when doing the Lord’s work? Don’t want to mix with the riff-raff…

15. KenTarmac

June 9, 2019 at 7:50 pm

Matthew 7:15

16. AJNEDC

June 10, 2019 at 7:49 am

Can’t say I blame him. I too don’t want to mix with the riff raff, hence the reason why I only fly business or first. If I could afford it, I would get my own private jet as well.
    People are just stupid to contribute to his life style.

17. puddinhead

June 10, 2019 at 11:23 am

Jesus wore sandals and didn’t own a horse or donkey – walked with the common folk.

18. AJNEDC

June 11, 2019 at 6:17 am

I would like to believe that the common folks were a lot less common in Jesus’s day.

19. Mordor2112

June 13, 2019 at 2:03 pm

Why would anyone mistake such a con artist with “a man of god”? Seriously, it’s like preaching vegan food while feasting kobe steak daily.