Uncategorized

“Sodomite” Written on Delta Passenger’s Rainbow Luggage Tag

“Sodomite” Written on Delta Passenger’s Rainbow Luggage Tag
Jennifer Billock

Discrimination is alive and thriving, sometimes when you’re least expecting it; one passenger flying on Delta had “sodomite” written on her rainbow-colored baggage tag sometime between when she checked it and when she picked it up — the Transportation Security Administration says it’s looking into it.

Delta Air Lines passenger Renee Gerrish recently took to social media to call out the airline for bigotry that happened during one of her flights. When she picked up her bags, someone had written “sodomite” on her rainbow luggage tag in permanent marker.

“Someone at Delta Air Lines baggage handling took it upon themselves to write ‘sodomite” on my [rainbow] luggage tag,” Gerrish tweeted, reported by Newsweek. She further called it “bigotry, hate speech and destruction of personal property.”

“I want this shared,” she tweeted, reported by Newsweek. “and on behalf of the LGBTQ+ community, I will not go quietly.

The TSA tweeted to Gerrish, saying they’re looking into the incident, and “The majority of checked bags are screened w/o physical inspection by automated bag screening systems. If we must open a bag for add’l screening, we’re required to leave a notice of inspection.” Delta plans to reach out to her for more information on Monday.

“I’m deeply hurt and offended that someone felt the entitlement to ruin and tamper with personal property with hate speech,” Gerrish told LGBTQ Nation, reported by Newsweek. “I wear LGBTQ+ support clothing and accessories regularly. As a girl, I love rainbows, but as a symbol of love and support for the community, that means everything to me. I don’t care if someone thinks I’m gay because of choices in rainbow accessories.”

1. SamirD

September 20, 2019 at 5:00 pm

I would be getting an attorney if I was her. It’s not about the money, but there’s a line here that was crossed and if someone doesn’t close that door, it will invite others in.

2. skidooman

September 21, 2019 at 5:54 am

“Call out the airline for bigotry”?

I don’t see any indication that Delta condones this, quite the opposite. Or that she blames the whole of Delta for what is most likely the action of one individual.

The bigot may be a Delta employee or not. If he or she is caught, I think it is safe to say termination will ensue.

3. jjmoore

September 23, 2019 at 2:48 pm

Pretty disgusting. This is not the airline’s fault, but the bigoted recklessness of one individual, who needs to be sought out and terminated. Hopefully DL management, with the aid of surveillance video, will weed this repulsive individual out.

4. flyerCO

September 24, 2019 at 2:20 pm

How does she know it was a DL employee? There’s plenty of people with access to luggage that aren’t airline or TSA employees.

5. cynicAAl

September 25, 2019 at 8:21 pm

Can lesbians even be sodomites ?

6. fleur_de_lys

September 26, 2019 at 12:21 pm

cynicAAI Can lesbians even be sodomites?

Since you asked…..It’s called pegging (using a strap on)

7. ChrisJBrady

September 26, 2019 at 1:29 pm

In London Heathrow my suitcase was well strapped up with one of those ubiquitous rainbow nylon straps. It was firmly tied up. When we got to Sydney Mascot and the luggage appeared on the arrivals belt the strap had been removed and the case rifled through.

8. J S

November 1, 2019 at 1:14 pm

@cynicAAI and @fleur_de_lys: Those comments are both offensive.

9. Irpworks

November 6, 2019 at 8:20 pm

Funny how when people advertise something about themselves they are offended when others notice the message. The insult was uncalled for and rude but it’s not exactly polite to do things that advertise one’s sexuality. Should all lotharios be praised and exempt from judgment while tagging all with a gold chain and medallion?