Flight Attendants

Man Moves Himself to Business Class. Things Quickly Get Worse After That

Man Moves Himself to Business Class. Things Quickly Get Worse After That
Jackie Reddy

A passenger is facing prosecution after he is believed to have assaulted two female members of cabin crew on a flight from Los Angeles to Dubai back in April. The airline on which the alleged assault is said to have taken place hasn’t been revealed, but the trial in Dubai will continue in September.

A passenger is facing prosecution after he allegedly assaulted a female member of cabin crew on a flight from Los Angeles to Dubai, Khaleej Times reports. The carrier on which the alleged assault occurred has not been revealed, but the incident is said to have happened in April and involved a 31-year-old Jordanian man.

The case against the man was heard last Sunday in the Dubai Court of First Instance.

The man is alleged to have sexually harassed the 35-year-old member of cabin crew and also is said to have twisted her arm. Additionally, he is also reported to have said that, “…he did not want to look at her face or at any of the crew members.”

In her testimony to the court, the member of crew was quoted as saying, “We faced a problem with one passenger – the defendant – who was travelling in the economy class and moved on his own to the business class. He would not want to listen to me as I tried to explain to him about the airline’s regulations. He then moved to the first class and put the earpiece on while insulting me.”

“He then called me names and followed me to the upper floor. He twisted my arm and groped me for a few seconds. The man damaged my work card as I screamed at him to let go of me. During the police interrogation, he said that I was not his type,” she added.

The member of crew added that his behavior had been witnessed by other members of staff.

The passenger is also have said to have threatened a second member of flight staff, an air services supervisor.

In her court testimony, this second crew member said that when she asked him to return to his seat, “He told me to go away and not argue with him as he did not care about the procedures. I spotted him later following the victim to the upper floor. He boasted later at the airport that he was an American citizen and knew people in the police.”

The trial is set to continue in September.

[Featured Image: Shutterstock]

1. skidooman

August 8, 2019 at 5:53 pm

Smart money says he makes the worst passenger of the week. Probably first too.

Look dude, Economy sucks. Everyone knows it. That’s no excuse to act DYKWIA, even less to harass women.

2. jrpallante

August 9, 2019 at 8:25 am

There is exactly one non-stop flight from Los Angeles to Dubai, Emirates #216. The crewmember says she was followed to the “upper floor.” Emirates flies a A380-800 on this route. I’m no Columbo, but I think I figured out which airline was involved.

3. jlflyer

August 9, 2019 at 6:20 pm

This story should terrify every American who reads it. Apparently based on nothing but the testimony of flight crew, you can be detained on arrival in Dubai and brought to court, where by the way, you have no due process rights and hardly any rights at all.

4. Snuggs

August 11, 2019 at 2:45 am

I am terrified… for the FA. Especially if she is not an UAE citizen.

5. ProudPatriot

ProudPatriot

August 12, 2019 at 4:35 pm

QUOTE: You had better hope you don’t upset your flight attendant next time you fly Emirates. COMMENT: In most countries, interfering with a member of the flight crew is a serious offense. The offense can be something as simple as failing to follow any legal directions of a flight crew member. It can also include assaulting or groping a flight attendant. I have no knowledge of the laws of the United Arab Emirates regarding presumed innocence. But, I’m quite sure flight-crew members have far-better things to do during their time off than testify in court.

6. IanFromHKG

August 13, 2019 at 10:36 pm

From jiflyer: “This story should terrify every American who reads it. Apparently based on nothing but the testimony of flight crew, you can be detained on arrival in Dubai and brought to court”

Tell us all, jlflyer, whether you think it is appropriate that someone who (allegedly!) assaults someone physically (“twisted my arm”) and sexually (“groped me”) should NOT be detained by police and taken to court? You may have a dim view of “testimony of flight crew”, which shows (in my humble opinion) an astonishing disdain for them, but that does NOT mean that such testimony should be ignored.

I wonder where your outrage would be focused if an American woman working as flight crew on an American airline was (allegedly!) assaulted and groped by an Emirati man who was arrested on arrival in the US. Would you then be saying that Americans should be terrified that “based on nothing but the testimony of flight crew, you can be detained on arrival in [insert name of random American airport] and brought to court”?

Please think your response through a little more carefully. Cabin crew have enormous responsibilities and should not be subject to any form of physical intimidation or attack, no matter what their nationality or which airline they are flying for. If they are (allegedly!) attacked they have a right to have the (alleged!) attacker reported, arrested, and facing legal proceedings. That you apparently think otherwise reflects very badly on you and your country.

7. Mr. Vker

August 23, 2019 at 6:27 am

@jiflyer: Let me help you with the last line of your post.

“Headline should say “allegedly.” How do you know any of this happened? The man should be presumed innocent.

You had better hope you don’t {Grope, assault, and batter} your flight attendant next time you fly Emirates”

Why would I be terrified? I am not going to do any of those things. Anyone who arrived in a foreign country accused of those acts-with strong probable cause-would be detained due to flight risk. He made his bed–or F seat–now he has to lay in it. No sympathy-or fear-here. The flight crew’s testimony is enough-as it should be for any type of assault case. It would be here. People are arrested daily based on that type of report.