American Airlines

“It Definitely Was White Male Aggression” Activist Removed From AA Flight

“It Definitely Was White Male Aggression” Activist Removed From AA Flight

Flying on airlines isn’t getting any easier. The latest airline drama occurred when an American Airlines pilot kicked New York activist Tamika Mallory off a flight after a seating issue.

Tamika Mallory a co-chair of the Women’s March on Washington, and an activist for gun control and civil rights was on her way from Miami to New York. She had been in the Florida city for the Revolt Music Conference and was headed to NYC as a guest at the wedding of Rev. Al Sharpton’s daughter.

Mallory explains that the pilot singled her out after she had an argument with a gate agent, which had been resolved.

According to Mallory, “It definitely was white male aggression. I was singled out, I was disrespected, and he was trying to intimidate me. I was discriminated against.”

“Our team does not tolerate discrimination of any kind,” American Airlines spokesman Joshua Freed said. “We take these allegations seriously, and we are in the process of reaching out to our colleagues in Miami, as well as Ms. Mallory, to obtain additional information on what transpired during the boarding process.”

Mallory explains that when she arrived at the airport she used a self-help kiosk to change her seat from a middle to an aisle. At the gate, she was issued another ticket for the middle seat and an argument ensued when Mallory asserts that the gate agent was “nasty” and “disrespectful.” Mallory then thought that the incident was over until the pilot, who had overheard part of the exchange, prevented her from getting on the flight.

The pilot explained that the gate agent had nothing to do with the seat change and called Mallory “disrespectful.”

Mallory eventually found her seat before being called to the front of the plane and being booted off. Mallory’s travel companion was also kicked off the flight.

Mallory says that her tweets attracted the attention of American Airlines, who rescheduled her flight but have yet to provide an explanation of why she was kicked off in the first place.

1. HomerJay

October 21, 2017 at 5:05 am

It’s the pilot’s call.

He’s the one responsible for the safety and well-being of the aircraft and those who board. And he decided that he didn’t want to take a chance by letting this woman – who admits she had been upset – to board this flight.

You know, the left has coined the term “microaggression” to describes words and phrases that they find belittling or that make them uncomfortable. I saw two of them in the quotes from this woman. The first, of course, is “white male aggression.” The second is “disrespect.”

Two can play the microaggression game. It’s not for progs only.

It seems to me that the pilot was uncomfortable with the idea of letting this woman on board, not knowing whether she might become unhinged once the door was closed. And, given his responsibilities, his decision was certainly defensible. Even from hearing only HER side of the story, I can understand where the pilot was coming from.

2. SarcasticMisanthrope

October 21, 2017 at 5:07 am

No sympathy.

3. Dublin_rfk

October 21, 2017 at 6:22 am

Why is it when ever a loud mouthed activist is disciplined for being a loud and disruptive force the person / organization that does the disciplining is always wrong and they are always correct (please note I didn’t use right). In this case the offender was loud and called out everyone who didn’t bow and scrape and GIVE her everything she wanted and didn’t apologize in advance. The offender doesn’t require an explanation. She was offloaded for being disruptive.

4. iahphx

October 21, 2017 at 7:21 am

If the passenger had been white and the pilot who removed her a black male, would the removal be attributed to “black male aggression”? And would any media source print that accusation? I would hope not. Just like this accusation shouldn’t be printed.

5. strickerj

October 21, 2017 at 12:26 pm

I’m going to go out on a limb and say anyone with an attitude like that was probably the instigator.

6. swm61230

October 21, 2017 at 5:32 pm

I am ready for the flack on this…… But it had to be because she was a woman and not that she had what is possibly a disrespectful argument in general.

Take responsibility for your own actions and words and don’t blame shit like this on your gender.

7. drvannostren

October 22, 2017 at 7:57 pm

As an airline apologist (maybe not, but I often find myself siding with them) I’m offended by her asserting that it MUST’VE been them hating her.

As an white male, I’m also offended by her saying it MUST’VE been “white male aggression” (btw first time I’m ever hearing that, it seems like it’s being used as a normal term).

Heaven forbid this woman was being nasty to the gate agent. That’s just impossible right?

I’ll be honest, I ran into a couple bitchy (both male/female) agents from UA at LAX this week. But for the most part in all of my travels I’ve encountered very few agents/FAs who are just being nasty to me for no reason. I even had one apologize to me after she kinda caught herself doing it.

I guess this woman is infallible though right? She’s using “black female victimism” to try and get over here (yes I just made that up and it’s BS).

Had she not gotten into an argument with the gate agent, especially not right in front of the pilot, my guess is, she wouldn’t have been kicked off the flight.

If anyone thinks this is about politics btw, I’m Canadian, fairly left wing and all for gun control, so if ANYTHING I’d probably be 100% behind this woman and what her speech was about, but the way it sounds here, she’s in the wrong.

8. hjplano

October 23, 2017 at 9:38 am

This woman seems to have an agenda, the agenda is to find a big nasty corporation red handed in what she perceives as discrimination. Why did she have a major meltdown calling the Captain a slave master ? I hope AA stands firm, this lady wants a concession from AA to say “see I won and I’m a victim”. Professional victim.

9. hjplano

October 23, 2017 at 9:56 am

The other thing, is why is she posting videos non stop about this on social media. AA’s lawyers will use this against her, how and why would HER lawyer allow this? All these videos show how unhinged she is. She’s going to erode whatever value she has left in her brand.

10. arcticflier

October 23, 2017 at 3:49 pm

i haven’t seen the video clip yet…was she able to work “white privilege” into this horrible pilot’s behavior?

These buzzwords, or micro-aggressions as nicely pointed out above are becoming so common today that my old-fashioned mind can’t keep up.

Can someone help me out?
    As an older, white male, do I have any of this arsenal that I can use to label others or are all these labels pretty much only diected at the likes of me?

Thanks

11. hjplano

October 23, 2017 at 6:19 pm

Any level headed FlyerTalk member knows this girl is trying to pull a hoax on a big corporation to put a feather in her cap. Whenever this girl doesn’t get what she wants, it’s racism. Also, she thinks being a “platinum member of this airline” entitles her to some sort of secret club in which nothing ever goes wrong while traveling AA. Really sad she thinks the works is against her, it isn’t….her and her little group-all try to stir up controversy and hate….guess who is also in her fold? That wacko Linda Sarsour, with ties to terrorist groups. AA can not give an inch to this girl, assuming the pilot wasn’t pulling his “white male aggression” on her (pilots could care less, they just want to get the ship to the next gate, good grief) . I bet this girl lost her cool with the gate agent when she didn’t get the aisle seat, then spouted off about being a “platinum member of your airline” in a rage of anger, created an ugly scene, the pilot the caught part of the end of her rage, and at this point it’s an easy decision, this girl was harassing his gate agent and he didn’t want any more drama on his ship. Pilots have wide discretion on booting passengers and for good reason. This girl will probably lose this fight which will further fill her with anger and hate. She seems like an intelligent person but she’s filled with pure hate.

12. northernlights1

October 23, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Kudos to American for enabling the pilot to keep the rest of the passengers safe from this obvious rabble rouser. Folks, this is a small metal tube flying at 33,000 feet at nearly the speed of sound. There is NO and I MEAN NO tolerance for deviation from respectful and compliant behavior. I would NOT fly an airline that doesn’t take all of its passengers safety the PARAMOUNT of importance. This is exactly what American is doing in selecting this person untrustworthy. This has nothing to do with race. But purely behavior.

13. Chris at PHL

October 24, 2017 at 5:31 am

Agree with the other comments here that it appears to possibly be staged or at the very least she was looking to pick a fight to generate publicity for herself and her cause. If she changed her seat at a self-serve kiosk, why not just print the new boarding pass from there? The story doesn’t make much sense.

14. jrpallante

October 24, 2017 at 6:36 am

I’m guessing this brat was not willing to pay $15 for a better seat in the first place?

15. heatheresq

October 24, 2017 at 6:52 am

My take. There was likely overreach by the gate agent and T. Mallory is capitalizing on publicity of the incident to bolster her positions (which may in fact, bolster, but clearly undercut as well). For those reading and commenting above, however, I encourage you to read up on critical race theory. You can obviously disagree with many of its authors and hypotheses, but I think it is important for us to expand our minds before we can categorically say something is or isn’t.

As an aside, I am surprised no disinterested party seemed to witness anything that happened at the gate.

16. acardio

October 24, 2017 at 8:00 am

“White Male Aggression”

Classifying everyone’s behavior and motivation based off of their race … I wish we had a word for that ..

17. JackDawson44

October 24, 2017 at 8:06 am

By most definitions I’m a pretty staunch liberal. But I side with the pilot…you create public spectacles, especially in airports and airplanes. Take that s*** somewhere else.

18. 2old4coach

October 24, 2017 at 10:33 am

Would be interesting to see the video. I was following the above almost agreeing with what was said until I saw that it was MIA where the event happened.
    I have flown with AA since 1975 and I have had very negative experiences with AA staff in MIA. I transit MIA usually 6 times a year, and see problems on most every trip, where it be over sold flights, baggage problems, equipment changes. broken seat, hostile agents, bossy crews, delay after delay and canceled flights. When I see stuff in the news happening at MIA, I have to wonder how much AA and the ground staff may have contributed to the problem.
    THEN we have to listen to Doug Parker and his propaganda on Airlines for America on the overhead monitors…..
    AA clean up your own act in MIA!
    So I wonder how much AA contributed episode like the above. They set themselves up for this kind of stuff.

19. hjplano

October 24, 2017 at 3:59 pm

Another thing: if I understand the story right, TM is asking the gate agent to do a deep dive (research) as to why her seat was changed, WHILE boarding-that’s probably going to annoy the gate agent.

Looks like AA is going to MEET with TM in person…you better believe AA will have at least two lawyers there. Whats puzzling is typically your counsel would tell you to keep your mouth shut, no press, no social media. TM is all over social media telling her story how it went down, if it goes to litigation all of that will be used against her. She goes on to say she wants to be involved in changing policy at AA, yea they’ll just hand over the HR keys to her, sure.

Would love to hear the Captain’s story.

20. BobSallese

October 25, 2017 at 12:06 pm

If I got into it with every representative that was rude to be, I would be arguing all day long. It seems to me that this woman went out of control and even after the problem was resolved. Imagine if somebody blamed this on “Female Aggression”, “Black Male Aggression”, or “Homosexual Aggression”! There would be an uproar from one end of the planet to the other, Apparently, we see from her background, this lady likes to use “white men”as her punching bag. Furthermore, in all the years of dealing with American Airlines, the employees have be always quite gracious. This is nothing more than an excuse for a cheap PR even from a member of the fanatical fringe of the feminist movement,

21. John Aldeborgh

October 26, 2017 at 3:55 am

Based on what I’m reading the pilot did the correct thing. Most passengers don’t like to see other aggressive or rude passengers on their flight. It’s also obvious, from what written, that Tamika is a professional agitator, so she is simply practicing her trade. If I wasn’t in polite company I’d call it a shakedown, I’m sure she’s looking for a settlement $$$.