Airports

The Cruelest Airport Prank

The Cruelest Airport Prank
Jennifer Billock

One enterprising (or cruel) prankster at an airport in Dublin has begun to prey on peoples’ inability to keep their phone charged when traveling – which can be incredibly frustrating – by putting up stickers of fake power outlets that travelers then try to plug things into and get frustrated, much to the amusement of onlookers and those in the know about the prank.

People who regularly use their phones while traveling know just how difficult it can be to keep everything charged and ready to go. So when we get to airports, generally the first thing we seek out is a power outlet to charge our various devices—which are probably all down to one percent.

One prankster is taking advantage of our desperate need to keep our phones and devices charged so we can let the world pass by with our faces in our screens. At an airport in Dublin, the prankster carried out their master plan: putting up stickers of fake outlets. They look pretty realistic, so anyone sitting by one can watch a stream of people, all excited that they finally found an empty outlet, try to plug in their devices and fail.

Twitter user Jack Hogan demonstrated the stickers, posting a video of the very realistic decal and how his plug just wouldn’t go into the outlet, Dublin Live reported. This isn’t a new prank, though. People have been getting tricked by fake outlets for several years, back when two friends began putting up the stickers and sitting back to watch what happened.

[Image Source: Screenshot from Jay Karl]

1. speedbrds

May 2, 2019 at 3:36 pm

That’s so damn evil and hilarious.

2. OZFLYER86

May 2, 2019 at 5:22 pm

got a spare battery for my Samsung mobile phone on ebay.Had a choice of non genuine for AUD$6 or genuine for AUD$9 inc postage from China (AUD$1 = USD$0.70)

So why wouldn’t you just buy a spare battery & keep it charged ?

3. matinicus rock

May 3, 2019 at 4:16 pm

There are so many lightweight batteries to charge portable devices from I never need to plug anything in any more.

4. justDave

May 3, 2019 at 5:13 pm

Keep it charged? By like plugging it in?

5. DeltaFlyer123

May 3, 2019 at 5:36 pm

That’s too stupid to be even remotely called a prank. There’s absolutely no humor in it.
    But on the subject of portable power, I have a battery that can recharge 3 phones on one charge, or one phone three times, it’s really gotten my but out or jam many times.

6. baggins

May 3, 2019 at 5:46 pm

OZFLYER86 – most popular phones do not have replaceable batteries.

7. snidely

May 3, 2019 at 6:44 pm

Or prankster could have portable charging unit and charge people to make use of it.

8. JackE

May 3, 2019 at 8:00 pm

I’ve had so much fun with these!

9. SamirD

May 3, 2019 at 9:32 pm

Why not spare? iphone, lol.

I have 4 spares and a pouch to keep them in. I even have a spare phone to charge the spare batteries because it cost me peanuts.

But I actually carry an extension cord when I travel–does wonders for that plug that’s underneath/beside/around neighbors that they’re not using.

I’d like to see people start putting stickers of currency on chairs too–I think that would be equally funny and evil.

10. Marathon Man

May 4, 2019 at 2:51 am

greatest thing ever. It is so bad that in this day and age, when everything and everyone is going mobile and expected to be mobile–including airlines– and yet things like good cell signal, wifi and charge ports and good batteries are just not available. Maybe this will make those who make and manage that stuff wake up and smell the coffee.

11. BMGRAHAM

May 4, 2019 at 7:42 pm

It’s not funny at all. It’s mean

12. paperweight

May 5, 2019 at 9:58 am

I do just the opposite. At an airport, I pull out my power strip and plug it in. You can make friends in a hurry if someone needs to charge their device! I’ve met some super interesting people doing this.

13. bloomz

May 5, 2019 at 10:47 am

Do not get one of those suitcases with battery built in – the airport will make you remove it to board the plane.

14. irishguy28

May 5, 2019 at 10:54 pm

At an airport in Dublin?

Which one?

15. jdclover

May 7, 2019 at 12:30 am

There’s a fake outlet in Seatac in the C gates I believe. It’s towards the very back of the C gates, on one of those tall desk things for using your laptop and charging if needed. They placed it conveniently far enough away from the existing outlets to make it look real.