Opinion

Is It Time for Airlines to Assign a Universal Dress Code?

Is It Time for Airlines to Assign a Universal Dress Code?
Ariana Arghandewal

Remember when people used to get dressed up to fly? Me neither. But I’ve read enough glowing cliches about the Golden Age of Travel to know that wearing flip-flops and sweatpants on a plane was not going to fly (literally and figuratively).

Nowadays, there are entire blogs and social media accounts dedicated to #passengershaming. I’m not about invading someone’s privacy by blasting them on social media (at least not without  confronting them about their behavior in person), but it does seem like despite how common air travel has become, etiquette has gone out the window.

These days, strict airline dress codes apply to employees and buddy pass travelers. Last year, United made news when it denied boarding to a couple of teenagers who were wearing tights. Recently, a woman on an American Airlines flight was denied boarding for wearing ripped jeans.

Since then the airline has clarified that “All employees and pass riders are considered representatives of United, and like most companies, we have a dress code that we ask employees and pass riders to follow.” The airline further clarified that passengers in this category should “blend in” with other passengers and avoid wearing clothing that “is vulgar or violates community standards of decency.”

That’s fair enough but to play Devil’s Advocate, why does this apply to buddy pass holders? I understand employees are representatives of their airline when off-duty, but why are these rules applied to their family members? They’re not exactly recognizable as affiliates of the airline. If the airline was applying a dress code to all travelers, I would understand, but imposing it on friends and family of employees who are not identifiable to the public seems a little odd. And if appropriate dress is important on an airplane, why not enforce this rule for all travelers?

I’m all for dressing appropriately in public and and especially in a confined space like an airplane.  While I like to be comfortable at all times, my rule of thumb is not to wear anything I would be embarrassed about if I ran into my boss. And I really appreciate it when other people around me do the same.

After all, in public you do have to be considerate of others and what you wear is part of that. But why not impose a dress code on all passengers and make flying just a little more special again? Besides, do  “vulgar clothing” worn by airline employees and their family members violate “community standards of decency” more so than those worn by regular passengers?

But who is to say that dress codes should be limited to airplanes? Flying is no longer a “special occasion.” It’s pretty much akin to riding the bus (though slightly less gross). Why do we insist on a dress code on airplanes and not buses? Or cabs? Or any other public place? And is it fair to impose these dress codes selectively? After all, asking people to refrain from wearing sleepwear, underwear, and swimwear while traveling means fewer Kardashians at the airport. I say either impose a dress code on all passengers or none at all.

1. mike2003242

September 1, 2018 at 11:57 am

Whatever happened to worrying about yourself? I’m sorry but I think sweats and a t-shiry are the appropriate thing to wear on a 10 hour red eye. Should I make everyone in a suit put on sweats and a tshirt?

2. POatParker

September 1, 2018 at 7:14 pm

Much like Parker at AA, UA has crossed the line of defacing human dignity! The people NEED to rise up against this indignity! Not flying is one solution, but may not be feasible. Write your congressman. We need laws that protect human decency, and protect us from the bullying of the airline industry!!!!

3. Tizzette

September 1, 2018 at 8:27 pm

I wish airlines would enact a dress code to enforce dressing modestly and not stinking.

4. CaptHolic

September 1, 2018 at 10:22 pm

I am all for a dress code of sorts. It would be a disaster for the airlines to impose though. Mix in a little cultural difference and you have yourselves PR disaster. It would end with lost revenue which no airline will risk alone. It would have to be industry wide and commence the same day.
    I dress the way I want to be treated. Some people have yet to yet to realise that correlation in their lives… I have lost the fight in my house regarding my children’s travel attire. Granted my kids have moved to the point in their lives they too are starting to care about how they are perceived rather than their comfort level. Gone are the onesies and blankets on a red eye that I personally despise.

5. kkua

September 3, 2018 at 9:52 am

If you can afford to fly, you can afford to dress better!

6. FlyingNone

September 3, 2018 at 11:22 am

Zig-zagging throughout the whole write-up just to state the last sentence? – “either impose a dress code on all passengers or none” ??
    It is obvious that Ms. Argadawhaldewal knows nothing about traveling as a non-rev. Please, just give thought to watching who would be obvious non-revs or buddy passes being upgraded into F-class while those revenue passengers that just “missed” qualifying for an upgrade watch them sit their rear-ends down. Do you really think that someone who has no consideration for the way they dress or look is going to then act appropriately ? Horror stories abound – dress codes for airline employees is not too much to ask.

7. jonsg

September 3, 2018 at 1:11 pm

Hardly. The employees and their “buddy pass” companions are getting freebies, or at least very deeply discounted prices. It’s a very valuable perk at the gift of their employer, and the employer gets to set the rules. The employee kowtows to the employer.

The rest of the pax have paid their way. They’ve every right to expect the airline to kowtow to them, not vice-versa.

Either way, he who pays the piper calls the tune, as the saying has it.

I certainly don’t expect to be wearing a suit and tie to please the airline, faced with eleven hours in the air. Not unless – like the other people for whom I wear a suit – they’re going to pay me handsomely for the privilege.

8. CaliforniaSteve

September 3, 2018 at 6:12 pm

Based on some of the things I’ve seen on flights, I’d rather have a universal hygiene code instead of a dress code.

9. GetSetJetSet

September 4, 2018 at 5:47 am

This is one of the stupidest “hot takes” I have ever read.

10. cajunguy

cajunguy

September 4, 2018 at 9:21 am

I like to be as comfortable as possible on long flights, over 4 hours. But I won’t be wearing sweats ever unless that’s all I have. And I think that’s the point, is that all you have? I doubt it. While I know you can purchase sweat pants or tights at discount big box stores they also have sensible choices too. Also, many slacks are actually coming made with percentage of spandex woven in them. I have several pairs of slacks/office type pants and I bought them at places like Old Navy. So if someone can walk into an high end sports store to buy their logo’d sweats or Victoria’s Secret to buy their ‘pink’ sweats they can certainly afford to get a comfortable and reasonably priced pants or dress outfit. Make an effort. Your seatmate will appreciate it.

11. eng3

September 4, 2018 at 9:43 am

” Recently, a woman on an American Airlines flight was denied boarding for wearing ripped jeans.
    Since then the airline has clarified that “All employees and pass riders are considered representatives of United, and like most companies, we have a dress code that we ask employees and pass riders to follow.”

Why would American Airlines employees be considered representatives of United?

12. mikeef

September 4, 2018 at 10:05 am

Dress code: Keep your armpits and your feet covered. I’m good after that.

13. KLBGO

September 4, 2018 at 2:02 pm

Is the new thing among frequent flyer bloggers and such, to care more about others than themselves? Riding an airplane is not much more than sitting on a bus. Do you flight bloggers really believe riding an airplane in 2018 is glamorous and elegant? Leave the lounge and visit the city for once!

14. skidooman

September 4, 2018 at 5:52 pm

I will agree with a dress code the day the airlines actually agree to provide people in economy class with some vital space instead of trying to pack the sardines even tighter and ensure all planes has air blowers at every seat.

In the meantime, I will dress to be comfortable, especially when flying economy.

15. Allan38103

September 5, 2018 at 7:12 am

Should pilots and flight attendants have dress code? What about ticket agents and baggage crew on the ground, they represent the airline too. “Universal”? Write a better headline or shut up.

16. PHL

September 5, 2018 at 9:15 am

The glory days of flying and dressing up were when the average American could not afford to do it and it was a rich person’s mode of travel. The amenities on board, along with the seating, were part of the glam.

Should we also go back to the days where women should wear full length absurd dresses and men wear 3 piece wool suits when they go for a stroll in the park on a Summer day?

Times change, we all must adapt.

17. horseymike

September 6, 2018 at 5:46 am

The glory days also were when you sat in a comfortable seat with sufficient leg room as opposed to being crammed into a space big enough for a child but assigned to an adult. Bottom line: you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

18. MA_ORD

September 6, 2018 at 12:45 pm

Sorry, when I am traveling overseas 24 hours door to door in steerage, I will wear what is comfortable and clean. Opinions and feelings about what I am wearing can be stuffed elsewhere.

19. milesmilesmiles

September 7, 2018 at 4:38 am

When the airlines provide service like that shown in the picture, I will dress up.

20. HomerJay

September 7, 2018 at 4:53 am

If you are flying free as a guest of the airline – or at a deeply discounted rate – they have every right to demand that you dress a certain way.

If you are a paying customer, they have a right to deny you boarding if your manner of dress is obscene, obviously offensive, or if your body odor could knock a buzzard off a sh*twagon.

21. littlemissflyer

September 7, 2018 at 4:56 am

I have worn very low key plain black long sleeved jersey pyjamas under a matching soft plain black jersey hoodie on a flight before with a small make up case, toothbrush kit, hairbrush and change of dress as well as jewellery and a pair of heels in my hand luggage that come out an hour before landing so I am fresh faced and reasonably presentable on landing whilst most other passengers are still in flight socks with messy hair in their face and wondering if I was on the same flight or even business class despite an 8 hour long haul flight!

22. Derek Northcutt

September 7, 2018 at 4:57 am

You miss the point of dress code for employes and their “buddies.” The employe represents the company and is expected to conduct himself properly and that includes dressing appropriately. The “buddy” represents the employe and the same rules apply. Since those girls who were denied boarding (they would’ve been told they had to change clothes before being denied) were also expected to represent the company as a “pass rider,” they too must conform. If they complained (I sense they did based on the stink on social media), the news will get back to management and the employe would be punished — usually having pass benefits suspended for a time. I worked for UAL in the 1980s and flew in FC from LGA-DEN and there was a disruptive passenger seated next to me. A steward, “Todd the Toad,” reported the conduct to management as if he were traveling with me. I remember the incident — the passenger next to me was drunk, and I told management that. I heard nothing more about it.

23. Derek Northcutt

September 7, 2018 at 4:58 am

Also, I’d like to add that my aunt Willa Dean used to dress up just to take people to the airport.

24. kc1174

September 7, 2018 at 5:12 am

25. fyree39

September 7, 2018 at 5:53 am

I’m old enough that I DO remember when everyone dressed nice. My dad flew for United and I also had to adhere to the pass riders’ dress code. When I was a teen I wanted to wear jeans on the plane (this had to be early ’70s) and my mom warned me they weren’t allowed. I didn’t listen. Sure enough the gate attendant denied me boarding until I changed, which I did. So, I fully agree that if you ride on the company’s dime as a non-rev, then you get to wear what you’re told to wear.

As for full revenue passengers, I don’t care about the clothes, just the body odor.

26. Kids To London

September 7, 2018 at 5:59 am

I’d rather have a universal *behavior* code

27. Dirty_Idea

September 7, 2018 at 6:04 am

You think it’s bad in Economy? Go look in Business or First, they’re all wearing pyjamas! Would you walk around the high street in pyjamas? Didn’t think so.

28. MitchR

September 7, 2018 at 6:06 am

I was delayed in traffic and showed up at the ticket counter 29 minutes before my flight. The ticket agent said “I’m not supposed to give you a boarding pass within 30 minutes of your flight but since you are wearing a suit and tie you must really need to get there,” I don’t really care what the others do, I’ll keep dressing like I ‘really need to get there.’

29. rjlon

September 7, 2018 at 6:16 am

So what is wrong with packing a set of Airline PJ’s? If I am flying overnight and not being provided with lounge wear by carrier that is what I do. Why is it unreasonable to expect people to look presentable? It is like expecting people to bathe or shower. Not saying everyone should wear formal attire but standard have fallen so far it is depressing.

30. ntconcepts

September 7, 2018 at 6:38 am

I can answer many of the questions posed.

“That’s fair enough but to play Devil’s Advocate, why does this apply to buddy pass holders?” Because buddy pass holders only pay the “tax” on the ticket to fly.

“Why would American Airlines employees be considered representatives of United?” Because they have an agreement between airlines. Regional carriers such as Mesa, who are AA, actually have buddy passes for United. Sounds crazy, right.

I’d rather have someone with ripped jeans than sit next to someone who has a foul odor emanating from their body 🙂 More important are the rising fares across every domestic route with a decrease in service. The customer service has become atrocious.

31. gay

September 7, 2018 at 6:52 am

Men should wear tuxedos and top hats and women should wear burqas with niqabs. The stewardesses should wear miniskirts and tube tops, and the stewards should wear polyester suits. That would make for a delightfully fun and etiquette filled flight.

32. D2travel

September 7, 2018 at 6:58 am

Absolutely, I believe it is time to set some dress code rules, because the flying public has no sense of shame or respect. If you can’t dress like you have respect for yourself, how can you expect others to respect you? It IS POSSIBLE to dress appropriately AND be comfortable at the same time — so for those who think you have to be in tights or sweats and a t-shirt to be comfortable — quit buying clothes that are TOO small for you!

33. plastermaster

September 7, 2018 at 7:45 am

If we are going to compare air wear of today with times past, (and I do remember the days of dressing up for flights) we have to put it in the context of what it meant to fly in the old days and what it means to fly today. Todays flying experience is nothing to dress up for. I remember a time when by todays standards all seating was pretty much like 1st class is today. If I am going to spend a few hours packed into a cattle car, don’t require me to dress with any class. On my last flight the attendant spilled a little bit of my neighbors drink on me and stained my clothes. because he didn’t have room to move freely and bumped his arm on the seat in front of me.

34. Great_circle

September 7, 2018 at 7:48 am

1) Given the fact that flying is only available to mankind for about 100 years while we wanted to do it for thousends of years I would say it IS actually still very special.
    2) I think there are actually public places with dresscodes. Some restaurants come to mind.
    3) To each their own, but personally I don’t understand why people wear (sometimes old) holiday-outfits, flipflops and sleeveless shirts in Asian high-end shopping malls where locals make an effort to shop while wearing long pants and (short sleeve) shirts. Recently I was travelling BKK – LHR in J-class and a large portion of the J-cabin had flipflops, very short pants, sleeveless shirts of various beer brands and barefeet. That’s where I would draw the line..

35. Berniecfc

September 7, 2018 at 7:56 am

I have to agree with Horsetmike. The opening picture tells all, spacious seat and leg room. Today you are shoehorned into a one squeeze fits all seat, served something tasteless that might resemble chicken. What would encourage you to get dressed up?

36. hinshaw

September 7, 2018 at 8:23 am

I’m Executive Plat on American, so I obviously fly a lot. I have noticed a huge difference between how the AA flight attendants look (as well as work ethic) versus Asian airlines like Philippines, JAL and Cathay Pacific. I defy you to fly AA and find the all FAs wearing the same clothes or being as well groomed in general as the Asian airlines. On the Asian airlines all FAs wear the SAME uniform and even have matching ribbons in their hair. They are immaculate. So if there is an effort to clean up passengers, I would start with the flight attendants’ dress and grooming. At least wear matching uniforms and look professional. As far as passengers, with the airlines continuously doing things to make flying more uncomfortable, passengers need to dress for comfort. But it is not too much to request that you don’t walk around in bare feet and at least wear socks or sandals. Unfortunately, there is no way to enforce good hygiene so it is a crap shoot who you sit next to.

37. jafrelin

September 7, 2018 at 8:38 am

Airlines treat passengers as self loading cargo. Seats are tiny and cramped. This is not a gala,but a flying bus. Dress for a trip to K-mart. Anything else is just silly.

38. robr

September 7, 2018 at 9:10 am

We’re talking about a bus with wings. Only with less seat space. Anything appropriate for a bus is appropriate for an airplane. I dress for comfort why I fly, you worry about your clothing, I will worry about mine. Just kidding, no I won’t.

39. danbrew

September 7, 2018 at 9:27 am

My #1 rule is to be comfortable when flying. I’ll wear a suit on the flight if I have meetings immediately upon landing, yet do my very best to not schedule meetings just after landing. If I’ve finished a meeting and am flying home? I almost always stop to put on shorts and a t-shirt or sweatshirt, depending upon the season. And those are for 1-2-4 hour flights. If I’m going over an ocean? Darn straight I’m gonna wear sweats and be comfortable. I don’t stink or have excessive body odor (or man perfume), so who cares what I’m wearing? I have gotten some funny looks at the various lounges in HK, yet we’re talking 14+ hours, so it’s all about comfort on those uber long flights.

40. MaxLovesRio

September 7, 2018 at 9:40 am

My religion requires me to wear only sweats, t-shirts, and flip-flops. Surely they won’t try to get me to violate my religious beliefs!

41. Morgacj2004

September 7, 2018 at 10:25 am

I don’t give a damm what anyone else wears on the plane. As long as they have good manners and hygiene! Americans need to get away from all of this PC crap and stop being so sensitive and easily offended. Stop feeding into the idiotic media feeding frenzy.

42. msconk

September 7, 2018 at 11:45 am

Don’t care what anyone else wears as long as personal hygiene is taken care of

43. southbeachbum

September 7, 2018 at 11:49 am

Well, I was on a domestic flight in Greece last week. This guy two rows in front of me was wearing a very tight tank top, short shorts and flip flops. If I had his body, I would have too!

44. jps99

September 7, 2018 at 12:01 pm

Not my favorite way to be seated for hours – next to tank top+ shorts wearing heavy set man overlapping my armrest and seat after doing something to make himself not exactly fresh. Yes, a dress code please! Space too confining for comfort! I now wear long sleeves, pants, no dress or skirt, because of this. Skin to skin….eww.

45. BC Shelby

September 7, 2018 at 12:29 pm

@ CaliforniaSteve
    ” I’d rather have a universal hygiene code instead of a dress code”

…^ This.

@ KLBGO

I some cases not just like but, worse than riding a bus. I find I actually have more room in transit bus than in airline Steerage Class.and there’s no accursed middle seat (save for those side facing seats in front or back).

@ Kids To London
    “I’d rather have a universal *behavior* code”

…hear hear. Beginning with spoiled rich brats like that Hilton kid.

@ kc1174
    “In the old days, they used to have free food and drinks, decent legroom, comfortable seats, and you could have a smoke up the back. Bring back some of those, and we’ll dress up. Problem solved.”

@ milesmilesmiles
    “When the airlines provide service like that shown in the picture, I will dress up”

…^this too.

I remember those days well. Even coach back then seemed more like business class today. Then again, domestic fares were standardised by the government, tickedts were interchangable between carriers, and airlines had to petition for permission to open new routes, so competition focused on quality of in-flight service and on time performance (Braniff even used to give passengers 1$ each if the flight was more than 15 min late).

__________

…personally I’m not dressing slovenly when I travel or even go out in town, but neither would I wear a suit and tie, particularly on a long flight. As I usually fly premium and sometimes even first ,”business casual” is more what I wear with an emphasis on comfort and simplicity (particularly when having to go through “domestic customs” [TSA screening]). Slacks with an elastic waistband mean not having to wear a belt which needs to be removed (partly why I imagine some passengers also like wearing sweats) Slip on shoes (and there are even dressy ones) which make it easy to step out of and into (particularly if like myself are older and suffer from joint issues). A slightly loose fitting long or short sleeved shirt made from material that “breathes” (if heading to/from Hawai’i or some other sunny destination, a clean “aloha” shirt is perfectly acceptable). In winter, or when you know the destination will be cold, a reasonably nice sweater or sport jacket (I tend to wear a Harris Tweed) over casual shirt would be fine. You don’t have to dress “to the nines” but by the same token you don’t want to look (or smell) like someone who just rolled out of bed or left the gym either.

I also try to keep metal objects I’m carrying to a minimum as much as possible, such as just my keys and wireframe glasses, (I even make all purchases at the airport on plastic to avoid getting coinage and take a cheap plastic pen/mechanical pencil for writing with which doesn’t set off the sensors), along with very little else than my wallet (and passport on international flights) in the pockets. Again this is more for ease of passing through TSA checkpoints. Basically anything I will not need at the airport or on the plane gets packed in luggage, with easily breakable (and pilferable) items like my phone, a camera, a notebook computer, & such in my carry on.

46. BMGRAHAM

September 7, 2018 at 3:25 pm

I don’t know why air travel is so special. This should be the case everywhere. Modest dress should be a requirement in every public place.

47. CEB

September 7, 2018 at 10:39 pm

Never really much cared about dress codes until this summer when my wife and I flew to Cleveland. Landed at ORD on the red eye and proceeded to the lounge. Hardly anyone there so we chose some comfortable seats to relax for a couple hours before our connection. Maybe 15 minutes later in walks a mid-fiftyish woman and her apparent daughter in early thirties. Both are wearing nothing but t-shirts, short shorts and flip flops. And I mean NOTHING but those three items as it was completely obvious that neither of them had on any sort of underwear! I am not prudish by any means, but they were in appropriately and offensively dressed in what is supposed to be a relatively private, quiet and classy environment. Personally I could not understand how they would even go out in public dressed the way they were, let alone be allowed in a private lounge.

My point is that even for those of us who are quite tolerant there is a line in the sand somewhere. As others have said, the rule of thumb should be would you be proud to run into your ‘boss,’, the president of your company or your rich uncle dressed the way you travel? I by no means wear a suit on a plane, but even though i am now retired and travel mostly for pleasure I try to dress reasonably well. On long haul flights i will change into my airline pajamas for a few hours of sleep, but i’m back in my clean clothes before we land and definitely do not traipse around the cabin in those PJs!

JMHO.

48. donna538

September 8, 2018 at 7:07 am

This could be solved by Not having buddy passes. The company has many rules for pass riders. One airlines pass riders in Chicago many years ago yelled to the rest of the group “We got first class and didn’t even have to pay for it.” That was a no-no and the gate agent should have said “and your mouth just put you in the back!” Airline employees work hard to get those benefits and there are rules in place to receive them, many buddy pass users can afford their own tickets and if they don’t deserve them.

49. nittfan

September 8, 2018 at 4:40 pm

I agree with many of the posters; I dress to be comfortable OR to save space in my carry on bag. The glory days of dressing up disappeared with low fares and with loss of respect for the passengers. The airlines treat all of us in “economy” like cargo. It is, as someone mentioned essentially a flying bus. One can dress comfortably without being seen as flagrantly disrespectful of others or deliberately trying to cause a scene. Long distance trips of 6 hours or longer will find me in fashionable yet comfortable “comfy pants” or jersey (sweat)pants. It is quite possible to dress comfortably without looking like a bum or sleaze bag.

50. SamirD

September 8, 2018 at 7:38 pm

As the younger generations with extended freedoms grow up, these freedoms will clash with rules set up previously and purposely. And then the rules will have to be re-evaluated and reformed to have the same effect as previously needed, but maybe not in the same tone.

Personally, women can wear all the tights they want (bra-less is fine too)–it’s their body if they want to showcase it like that for free. Makes people watching at the airport a lot more _______. <– you fill in the blank. 😀

51. nkedel

nkedel

September 8, 2018 at 7:50 pm

These threads on the forum itself get closed quickly. And I don’t think there should be any requirement of a dress code on airlines, beyond what I was used to from casual restaurants in NYC (presumably from health code) when I was growing up: “No shoes, no shirt, no service.” (some kind of bottoms is implied, but if it won’t get you arrested for indecent exposure, it should be fine.)

52. drphun

September 11, 2018 at 7:36 am

If there was a dress code, wouldn’t it be wearing hospital gowns or paper pajamas, without pockets and nothing else, with a clear plastic bag replacing pockets? Seriously, I feel like we are going that way because of security. I am usually traveling for business and wear a suit, but that doesn’t go well with security. Take off the coat, take off the dress shoes, take off the belt, take off a tie tack, remove handkerchief from pockets, etc. Need a shoehorn to put dress shoes back on. It really starts to get complicated. Sweats or pajamas and slippers really seem like they are optimized for the security process. so I can’t fault people for going that way.

53. ckfred

October 4, 2018 at 7:16 am

I remember having to wear a coat and tie on a plane. My father was flying for business, and my mother and I would tag along. My father wore a suit, and we wore chuch clothes.

Society in general has gotten very, very informal. A friend of my wife’s had to put “formal” on her wedding invitations, on order to get people to not come in t-shirts and gym shorts. Most people learned that tuxes and evening gowns weren’t expected, but some people still showed in an attire that was more athletic than wedding-appropriate.

When my wife and I were dating in the 90s, a touring production of a Broadway show meant dressing up. We saw “Hamilton” in Chicago recently, and it was surprising how casual people were.

I’m not sure how to put the genie back in the bottle.