Hilton

Should You Tip Hotel Staff (Even If Hilton’s CEO Doesn’t)?

Should You Tip Hotel Staff (Even If Hilton’s CEO Doesn’t)?
Joe Cortez

Hilton Hotels chief executive Christopher Nassetta is retracting a statement he made about tipping at an industry conference. After telling an audience that he generally does not leave tips to housekeepers when he travels, the company leader now vows to leave a gratuity every time he travels.

The chief executive officer of Hilton Hotels is vowing to turn over a new leaf, after public backlash on a comment he made at an industry conference. Christopher Nassetta now says he will leave a tip for housekeeping employees when he travels, but only after he previously stated he generally did not.

According to a report from The Points Guy, Nassetta made the comments at the 41st Annual NYU International Hospitality Industry Investment Conference. When asked about how much he leaves during a hotel stay, Nassetta said: “I typically do not leave a tip.”

Public comments forced Hilton to try and go a different way with the comments. First, the company attempted to clarify his comments. According to Travel + Leisure, the company said in a statement:

“Every Hilton Team Member works hard. Rather than selectively reward some Team Members, he is focused on providing meaningful economic opportunities for all 400,000 Team Members.”

However, the public pushback continued. And on June 9, 2019, the hotel chain issued another statement from Nassetta – this time, pledging to leave a gratuity every time he stays at a hotel.

“When it comes to tipping in hotels, I have always had a different approach to work and personal travel,” Nassetta said in the statement to The Points Guy. “I also never meant for my approach to work stays at Hilton properties to discourage others from tipping when they are traveling. Going forward, I will tip when traveling for both work and personal travel.”

Nassetta was speaking at the conference about Hilton’s strategy in Asia. According to The Real Deal, he told those in attendance that the hotel chain wanted to “build a very big network event” in China, which would lead travelers leaving the country to prefer staying at Hilton properties over other choices.

[Featured Image: Getty]

1. Sabai

June 14, 2019 at 12:20 pm

Cheap bastard

2. fotographer

June 14, 2019 at 12:39 pm

why not pay your employees more

3. bimmerfreak0

June 14, 2019 at 1:20 pm

I have never tipped housekeeping. It’s part of the “amenity fee” right?

4. GetSetJetSet

June 14, 2019 at 1:47 pm

I will never tip for housekeeping. LOL at this guy being bullied into it by the outrage mob.

5. pdsales

June 14, 2019 at 1:54 pm

2018 fiscal year his compensation package was $19,790,569,

Bad enough that he does not tip. Even worse that he wasn’t ashamed to say publicly that he does not tip.

Chances are he still does not tip, he has just learned not to say it publicly.

$19,790,569 and he can’t leave $2-3 on the pillow. I hope the maids dip his toothbrush in the toilet.

6. alangore

alangore

June 14, 2019 at 2:28 pm

I don’t like the relentless spread of tipping to new areas either, but I have always tipped housekeepers. They perform a real personal service.

7. kkua

June 14, 2019 at 2:28 pm

In my experience, rich people are often the stingiest. You cannot stay rich by being generous. Cheap b*stard!

8. cmd320

June 14, 2019 at 5:53 pm

This is ridiculous. There is a faux news story about tipping in hotels once a month. Tip for extraordinary service or if leaving an abnormal mess in the room. I leave my rooms clean with used towels stacked, trash in the trash can, and otherwise, everything else as you would find it (except the bed I’ve used which is going to be deconstructed anyway). I don’t feel the need to tip a person for doing their job.

Now if I’ve left in a hurry and left the room a mess I’ll leave some gratuity, or if the housekeeping staff did something notable for me during my stay I’ll leave something as well.

9. strickerj

June 14, 2019 at 5:54 pm

I don’t get it… when did it become the norm to tip housekeeping? Aren’t they already paid at least the non-tipped minimum wage?

10. jonsail

June 14, 2019 at 8:52 pm

The minimum wage is pretty low in most United States jurisdictions. You tip the housekeeper to spread the wealth around a tiny bit.

11. htb

June 15, 2019 at 12:22 am

I won’t tip for housekeeping. I expect them to do their clearly defined job and get paid accordingly by their employer. If they don’t do their job well, I’ll complain and expect the employer to take care of it. I don’t think it’s my job to entice employees to do their job properly through tipping.

12. holland

June 15, 2019 at 7:05 am

Housekeepers are paid a pittance. I always leave $5 on the bed; $10 if my family is on vacation and we’ve made a mess of the room.

13. rallydave

June 15, 2019 at 7:12 am

Tipping in the United States has gotten out of hand. See tip jars at fast food places, my lawn service posts I can add a tip to my already large charge, etc. Should we be tipping the front desk clerk or the person putting out the breakfast??? Where will it end. Afraid it will go further and further. Even our post office employees are expecting tips even though they are grossly overpaid with benefits most of us have lost like pensions plus they lie regularly about delivery and in our local case actually steel checks and credit cars. Really needs to end the increases in people expecting to get tips for just doing their job or in many cases NOT doing their basic job.

14. 20Rothmans

June 15, 2019 at 7:14 am

I like to leave a tip at the end of my stay, so that I make someone else happy and have a couple of drinks after work (more if it’s a long stay). This is in Europe/SE Asia. In the US I leave a couple of dollars a day because I thought that’s how it works there.

@pdsales – *never* leave your toothbrush out, anywhere.

15. tamnun

June 15, 2019 at 7:19 am

I never tip ANYONE UNLESS THEY REALLY REALLY MERIT IT. The American tipping havits really suck and went way out of proportion. Remember you boss never tips you so why should you? They don’t work for free either.

16. simons1

June 15, 2019 at 7:22 am

Let’s face it these days you can’t even cross the road in US without someone wanting a tip.

17. bethip

June 15, 2019 at 7:23 am

I do not tip people for doing their jobs (servers excepted) unless they have done something extraordinary. Saying thank you is not extraordinary. What amuses me is when they don’t look at you, smile or say thank you but there is the tip jar.

18. Ysitincoach

June 15, 2019 at 7:25 am

I love tipping outrage. Especially Marriott’s failed, “envelope please,” initiative.

Other’s wrote that this lightweight made $19M, even at $5/night it’s still less that $1,900, what .0001% of his pay? And he’s probably not spending 365 nights a year in a hotel.

19. hervepa

June 15, 2019 at 7:26 am

Hey Syickerj – Ever try to live on minimum wage?

20. sfoeuroflyer

June 15, 2019 at 7:31 am

Since when does one tip housekeeping in a hotel?????? Are they now “victims” because we don’t? And I don’t tip the engineering staff if they have to fix something in the room. And I don’t tip the check in clerk or the cashier. Does that make me evil?????

21. chrisboote

June 15, 2019 at 7:33 am

Why should he (or indeed anyone) tip

He’s not a ‘cheap bastard’, he sensibly sees the price of the room as covering the services provided , and therefore wages of the staff

This US obsession with tipping has to stop

22. walkup

June 15, 2019 at 7:33 am

Better not to sweat the small stuff. The wealthier you are the less impressive it is. Show some generosity. Particularly the CEO. Smart move even if after the event to reverse the image created.

23. zoey59

June 15, 2019 at 7:35 am

I’m sorry but being a hotel housekeeper is a tough job – I always thought management should have to do it for a week to see what it’s like. Leaving a few dollars each and every day is the way to go, not at the end of the stay and the appreciation is enormous. Whether you’re at a budget hotel or a five star these folks deserve a tip.

24. RhodyDiver

June 15, 2019 at 7:36 am

I don’t tip either, unless they’ve gone above and beyond (like others have said, if you’ve made a mess or feel that the staff have otherwise gone out of their way for you.) In my seemingly unpopular opinion, a tip should never be expected for standard service, since that’s their job and it is not my responsibility to pay their salary. As this article demonstrates, tipping only exists because of social pressure anyway. I don’t tip my dry cleaner, car mechanic, or doctor, so where do you draw the line?

25. NFH

June 15, 2019 at 7:38 am

Americans need to stop this perverse obsession with tipping. Employees of any business, whether customer-facing or not, should be remunerated properly by their employers and should NEVER have to rely on the discretionary generosity of customers to top up their incomes. Americans, please look at how things are done in the rest of the world before expanding your practice of tipping to even more scenarios where it is blatantly not merited.

26. ccberry

June 15, 2019 at 7:38 am

It was my understanding that tipping 𝑖𝑠 the norm — at least in the US. When traveling (even for business, when tips cannot be expensed), leaving a few dollars a day (totaling around $20 per week) and a “Thank you so much for the fine service!” note, is a pretty small price to pay for the good will and kind gestures I typically receive in response from the staff.

27. Danwriter

June 15, 2019 at 7:55 am

He has people who do that for him.

28. Letitride3c

June 15, 2019 at 7:57 am

Wow, that explained it. We just stayed at a Marriott property and got a personal thank you notes daily, 4 nights out of our 5 nights stay, from 3 different housekeepers that serviced our 2 bedroom suite. We checked out on day 6, hence no big smile either as we didn’t run into them. A moron & idiot and he most likely didn’t stay in a non-executive/upgraded suite either. It’s probably more common than some of us realized. We don’t carry stacks of small bills or loose change to hand out to everyone working in the hotel here in the U.S. Practices in other countries like South Korea are obviously a little different.

29. Airrage

Airrage

June 15, 2019 at 8:01 am

I always tip housekeeping. Always. They have a thankless job. When you tip them you need to leave a quick note. Sometimes they won’t take money simply laying on the desk.

Obviously everyone has their own opinion. But it would really bother me if I did not tip housekeeping.

30. wyddfa

June 15, 2019 at 8:03 am

USA tipping culture is completely out of hand. Nobody expects a tip of any sort in many countries. Pay people properly. Where does it end? Do I tip the pilot next time I fly? How about the receptionist for checking me in? I did one tip a policeman in Zimbabwe but that’s a different story….

31. vicrock

June 15, 2019 at 8:06 am

Tipping should be for service above and beyond. If you are a pig in your room, yes – but if all you do is sleep and shower, no.

Tipping is out of hand – we should be paying people at a level where they don’t need tips to make ends meet!

32. HanoiIG

June 15, 2019 at 8:21 am

I pretty much always tip but usually just $2 or so. I try to do it every day(at night for turndown maybe just $1) as the same person may not service your room every day. For exceptional service as if I’ve been messy or want some extra high end toiletries, usually $5. I do get that it’s not my place to make up shortfalls because people are underpaid but why not spread it around a little?

Actually the housekeepers may well be union, at least in New York hotels, so they are not starving.

My question is do you tip guest services reps, especially when they are the ones giving you nice upgrade? How much?

33. PepeBorja

June 15, 2019 at 8:41 am

If you have to ask, question, or think about leaving a gratuity…then don’t. It is in your own nature.

34. taffygrrl

June 15, 2019 at 8:44 am

The non-tipped minimum wage is nowhere near what it takes to survive nowadays. Minimum wage is $7.25. 1968’s minimum wage would be $11.86 now. That’s 63% more!

And even that doesn’t tell the whole story. Wages have not kept up with inflation. Just for starters, median rents have gone up by 68% but wages have not. Median rent in 1968 was $660 in today’s dollars.

In 1968 workers did not have large parts of their wages deducted for health insurance. Your employer took care of that. (Boy, I remember when my employer first deducted $50 every two weeks for insurance – I was furious!)

Minimum wage does not go as far as it once did. I tip and I’m happy to do so.

35. amex007

June 15, 2019 at 8:49 am

As what cmd320 said. I hardly use anything in the room and leave it messy. I very often will hang up towels and use the 2nd one the next day and only give them washing every second day.

I don’t see the need for them to redo my bed and get a tip for it. It takes all of 10 minutes to ‘clean’ my room (I’ve been in there numerous times with housekeeping around), I can’t justify it.

Do you tip your cleaners at work who empty out the trashcan under your desk and clean up around your area?

Do you tip a salesclerk for going the ‘extra mile’ for you?

People should be entitled to tip as they choose for whatever they choose to.

36. zhorik

June 15, 2019 at 8:57 am

the problem of tipping for service in a hotel is that the service is a result of many people’s efforts. there ought to be a general staff pool where all share.

37. redanman

June 15, 2019 at 8:58 am

Let’s all tell him what to do. Uhm, no. The maid with the book asking $10/body/day and wants you to do half her work – “Maid Hard Work Low Pay and a Mother’s Will to Survive” for the unknowing …

It is past time to eliminate all tips as the world eliminates hard currency. I don’t care if you or I make $5 or $5BB, it is no one else’s business to spend each other’s money nor criticise something so nebulous. Pay a wage, pay your damned taxes. Value is meaningless. Go tip the guy working in hot sun digging sand. (Ever do that?)

Once when I lived in a neighboring state, I reluctantly had to take my car into the Original Waldorf-Astoria on Park Ave. Sure I get that the parking needs to cost $60-80/day, I totally get that, but the never-ending line of tools there just to collect tips from leaving your car, handling your bags, getting same returned in one piece reliably, need it be $100 and *still not* done well? It swore me off cash starting that day. “Give me your bag, we’ll store it for you, we’ll take your vehicle, we’ll lose your vehicle and make you wait forever to get out of town, shall I hold your bag whilst you check in?” Neverending.

I’ve been seen on a golf course once or twice. I get saddled with “Caddies” who carry a bag, stroke your ego, cheerlead, babysit and are there to lead the unknowing around. They are for a single day a nuisance more often than not, few if any can truly value-add. No one will give you an honest answer to ‘tipping’ these guys. I often want to know how much to pay them to go away. Americans are obsessed with tips and adds-on.

The cashless world cannot come fast enough.

Servis compris,s’il vous plait.

I want $10 from each who reads this for enlightening you.

38. enggeol

June 15, 2019 at 9:06 am

I agree with many here that tipping in the US has gone mad and has encouraged employers to drop wages to maximise their profits. Tips should be for service over and above the norm or if I make their job more difficult. In certain countries it is taken as an insult for, I believe, religious reasons – try tipping taxi drivers in some Middle East countries and they point blank refuse it.

39. PTK346

June 15, 2019 at 9:37 am

Data point: Tipping housekeepers is not a new topic. Most historians agree that tipping came to the US from Europe in the 1860s. Has always been controversial here.

When I got my first ‘real job’ 50 years ago, my employer reminded me to tip housekeepers. I’ve stayed in the habit and don’t mind doing so.

40. traveler4ever

June 15, 2019 at 10:02 am

I always leave a room spotless. Trash in trash can, all dirty towels are left in one pile on the side of the tub. I don’t leave any soaps in the shower/bath and I always leave a daily tip of $3.00-$5.00 depending on where I’m staying. You tip bellhops, restaurant waiters/waitresses and valets.
    Why would you not tip someone that has to strip the bed, make it all over again, pick up and clean up the room you used. I think it’s very unkind not to leave a tip to the room attendants!

41. Behindthecurtain

June 15, 2019 at 10:35 am

Don’t tip. Only in the US is it normal to tip for not receiving a poor service.

Only time I do is when something goes beyond the norm.

42. flyingmz

June 15, 2019 at 10:46 am

I really wish they would pay everyone a living wage It is difficult for me when everyone has a hand out. Especially baggage handling.

In our case, my husband retired in 1991 (28 years ago) and has not had a cost of living increase in his pension in all that time and we do not get social security. I know that the hotel housekeeper works darn hard to clean rooms (how many does she/he have to do in a day and get tips from each one too?)

How about cruising? Tip the cabin steward $10 daily per cabin, (each person at $5). Yes, they are in there 2 or 3 times a day. but it isn’t any worse that it would be to be cleaned once a day. Oh, well, I do pay it anyway.

My daughter tips housekeeping well, but then she asks for extra towels and toiletries and coffee.

We have a customer service business. We don’t expect tips, but they are appreciated….more because of their appreciation than the money. I would actually rather have a great review online than extra money.

43. funvac

June 15, 2019 at 10:48 am

Do what your conscious tells you regarding tipping I suppose.

Unless you hand the housekeeper the money directly tho they
    may not get the tip.

In my experience $3-4-5 extra a day is well worth the money I have already spent on a room for the person that is inside my room insuring everything is ship shape and provided for.

And, I have left things on checkout that were kept for me by housekeeping that could have just as easily been tossed away.

It is Golden Rule stuff. Things we learned in kindergarten.

I appreciate their hard work..and if I tip I imagine a little extra fluff to my pillow and plenty of shampoo..whatever.
    Once I noticed after my tip an upgrade in the quality of soap, etc..
    that was provided for. Sometimes I ask for kleenex box next to my bed in addition to the one in the bathroom
    I prefer to tip. No great shakes for me ..as mentioned..for the person inside of my room with my stuff…happy to provide a nice
    surprise for honest hard working folk. It’s good karma.

44. Leslie Carbone

June 15, 2019 at 11:30 am

Does he tip valets and bellmen?

45. SaturdayKid

June 15, 2019 at 11:45 am

Tipping has got out of control in the US. Increasingly hotels are adding a service charge automatically but even if they do more and more staff are saying, that goes to everyone you can leave extra if you want to give something to me personally.

Is it reasonable to expect the customer to pay a tip on top of a (typical) 18% service charge? Establishments need to start paying their staff a decent wage. In the US I do add 20% if there is no service charge but expecting another tip on top seems ridiculous to me.

46. MimiB22

June 15, 2019 at 11:46 am

Housekeepers are badly paid and yet take care of our rooms, in which we take comfort. I don’t “like” tipping, but I recognize it’s necessary. Besides, I had a conversation with a young women who worked her way through college as a hotel maid. The stories she told of what she was expected to deal with were hair raising, and she worked for an upscale chain. She had to clean feces off walls and floors, throw out disgusting garbage, pick up used condoms, sometimes had to fend off lecherous male guests who assumed she would provide sex services, etc. And yet, as she told me, only about half the guests left tips, and those with the most expensive luggage were the least likely.

47. msp_flyer

June 15, 2019 at 12:15 pm

I tip housekeeping. My income is much higher than the housekeeper. They are doing a very demanding physical job while I make more money working on a computer all day. Many are immigrants trying to feed a family. Many are pushed to clean faster and better so the hotel can make more profit.

It’s a pleasure to know that my small tip will be used to help someone who is working very hard for little pay.

And I wish the minimum wage would be increased to a living wage!

48. moobearus

June 15, 2019 at 12:39 pm

We always tip the people that make our beds and clean our room. We always tip $3 a day. We leave a note on the bed or nightstand with $3 and a thank you. Sometimes we ask for extra water, sometimes we need something else and we write it on the note and it is always done! Most times we ask for nothing and just leave $3.

We stay on points most of the time so we feel we are getting a bargain while helping out the lowest rung of the hotel staff ladder.

It makes a difference to the housekeeping people, it makes us feel good, and it smooths little things that we might want out.

That said, we don’t tip anyone else in the hotel – only the housekeeping staff that cleans our room and makes our bed. We generally stay at a hotel for at least 3 days and generally longer than that so the little tip makes everything run easier for our stay. So, $15 for a 5 night stay to us is nothing but to the housekeeping staff is noticed and appreciated.

Last month we stayed in a hotel for 5 days, my wife asked for some extra soap and we had 5 bars of soap after our room was made.

Our small tip to the housekeeping staff makes us all feel better and have a better attitude!

49. MaxLovesRio

June 15, 2019 at 12:59 pm

I heartily agree that you should leave a tip daily during your stay. The same housekeeper doesn’t necessarily clean your room every day so tip them as you go to make sure the proper person gets tipped for their service. If the room provides stationery, I will take out an envelope and write Thanks on it and they usually take the cash out of the envelope. These people work very hard and are very much underpaid and are providing a personal service.

Someone mentioned tipping postal employees. I used to work for the U.S. Postal Service and their employees are forbidden from accepting tips although most carriers would not turn it down from someone that they knew.

50. gking1

June 15, 2019 at 2:02 pm

It’s like you have to look up the wages of each country these days before you travel, just in case it’s the ‘proper’ thing to leave a tip. I think someone only earning $10 an hour definitely needs one. It’s so bad that wages aren’t enough to live on. It doesn’t seem fair.

51. Alan_S

June 15, 2019 at 2:59 pm

I am guessing most of the comments are from Americans. Tipping hotel staff is not expected anywhere but the USA in my experience. In the USA I go with the flow for their extraordinary tip-for-absolutely-everything culture with the exception of hotels. I am rarely in one for more than a couple of nights and usually ask not to be serviced on the day between.

Who should I tip? Front desk, bellboys (haven’t seen one of them in years), cleaners, doorman? The hotel should be paying their staff appropriately for performing their duties.

I am Australian. We rarely tip for anything in my country but I found one country even less so. In Japan last month my restaurant bill was a little over 200 yen (AU$2.50) short of 2000 so I paid the waiter at the table with 2000 and left the restaurant. I was a block away when she caught up with me to give me my change to the last yen and refused my attempts to give it to her. Tips are neither expected nor welcomed in Japan.

52. fairhsa

June 15, 2019 at 5:39 pm

Crazy stupid fuss. Of course you don’t tip someone for doing their job. Only Americans even think this is an issue. Hilton is a global chain, get your heads out of your US asses and realise you are the ones who contribute to low paid workers with your ludicrous cultural love of failing to pay properly.

53. wingspan

June 15, 2019 at 6:05 pm

Why would anyone tip at a hotel? You’re paying to stay there.

54. worldtraveler123

June 15, 2019 at 7:51 pm

Who likes tipping? For that matter, who likes paying for a hotel room? For those who say the cleaning staff ought to be paid more, face the facts. They are not paid more, not in this world. If pigs had wings. . . .

55. lebelgo

June 15, 2019 at 11:53 pm

I usually tip $5 per day in the US and in some poorer countries. Most US housekeepers don’t earn enough to support themselves. I don’t tip in Europe, Canada, or eastern Asia.

56. OZFLYER86

June 16, 2019 at 12:26 am

never ever tip anyone

57. Martin Yates

June 16, 2019 at 1:40 am

Sadly, we seem to have immoral, uncompassionate idiots in charge of nearly everything at the moment. 🙁

58. htb

June 16, 2019 at 4:49 am

If I read the article correctly, Hilton’s CEO tried to explain that he wants his staff to be paid sufficiently to not be dependent on tips but he was booed out in favor of not paying properly and begging guests for tips. This is just so ridiculous….

59. strickerj

June 16, 2019 at 7:23 am

@hervepa: I assume that was directed at me, though you butchered my name… yes, I have actually lived on less than minimum wage in grad school, since there was only enough funding to pay us for 10 hours a week even though we were working on the project full time. And in academia this is all perfectly legal. But I recognized it was temporary and made do.

So yes, I know minimum wage isn’t much, but tipping hotel housekeepers doesn’t make sense since they don’t provide a level of personal service that would warrant a gratuity like restaurant servers. If they should be tipped just because they make minimum wage, then why not fast food or retail cashiers? Bear in mind, if tipping housekeeping becomes pervasive, the hotel industry will lobby to have then paid the tipped minimum wage (around $2.13 an hour IIRC).

As for the arguments surrounding “living wages”, that’s a bit difficult in a vast country with such different local economies. In rural America where the cost of living is low, $7.25 an hour is perfectly livable, and any higher would wreck the economy. It’s up to the states and localities where the cost of living is higher to set their own minimum wage accordingly rather than expect it to be raised at the federal level.

60. BOBAD

June 16, 2019 at 9:04 am

How absurd to have to pay extra for a service not to be performed below par.

The origin of the word ‘tip’ (To Insure Promptness) may well have originated in the UK but Americans have turned it into an artform.

All employees deserve a living wage and employers must be prevented from subsidising the paltry wages of their lowest in the food chain by the generosity of their customers.

As we evolve into a cash-less society (wake up, it’s already happening) – what then?

America needs to follow the example set by the rest of the world – stop all tipping now and pay employees adequately. The longer you tip the longer it will take to achieve this aim.

61. athome

June 16, 2019 at 11:46 am

Why should one tip? For me it’s part of the package staying at a hotel. If one starts with tipping, as the hotels do not pay their employees enough, how can one be sure one shall not “tip” for a proper bed or for water and electricity in the future?

62. TWAflyer

TWAflyer

June 16, 2019 at 12:37 pm

I tip Housekeeping – I’ve often found them friendly, helpful and genuinely caring if I’m happy with how they’ve made up my room. And I know that a small tip goes a long way – both for them and for me.

I also tip engineering staff. I normally have a fridge in my room – many times the fridge does not work. The engineer has pull the fridge out of my room, scout around for another one in an empty room – the hotels almost never have spare fridges – and then struggle getting it from that room and back into my room and working. I appreciate the effort those engineers make for me and I tip them.

Once I had a different issue afterwards which neccessiated the engineer coming back to my room later that day. He came very quickly and when I went to tip him the second time he declined the tip. Because, he said, I had already taken care of him when he came for the fridge.

So that first tip was appreciated and he did not “keep his hand out” for more. I agree that some tipping can be ridiculous but there are times and places where it’s the right thing to do – and is appreciated.

63. Hondu54

June 16, 2019 at 6:44 pm

In many of the replies, posters keep reiterating that a housekeeper is poorly paid. That she has a tough nasty job. That minimum wage is very low at $7.25. Yada yada. So why is that the customer’s problem? If all these things mentioned are correct, why don’t the employer pay the housekeeper an appropriate wage? It maybe because of the saying “there’s a sucker is born every minute.”

The tipping culture in the USA is perverse and need to go the way of the dodo bird. All businesses should charge the going rate for products and services and pay their employees properly.

64. Hondu54

June 16, 2019 at 6:46 pm

In many of the replies, posters keep reiterating that a housekeeper is poorly paid. That she has a tough nasty job. That minimum wage is very low at $7.25. Yada yada. So why is that the customer’s problem? If all these things mentioned are correct, why don’t the employer pay the housekeeper an appropriate wage? It maybe because of the saying “there’s a sucker born every minute.”

65. A Lyford

June 17, 2019 at 12:00 am

Yes, we should eliminate tipping, but we can’t because housekeeping jobs don’t pay a living wage. We can’t even provide national medical care to the working poor. And… housekeepers are often paid part-time wages. So they need a second job to get a forty hour work week. A life working low wage jobs always leads to poverty. It’s a vicious spiral, and it traps women specifically because they are often single parents who HAVE to feed their children.
    So I always leave $5 every day my room gets cleaned. That’s usually the last day of my stay, because I can clean up after myself. I leave my room in good order and dump my own trash. This practice actually helps keep me from leaving anything behind. I figure it takes a half hour to make my room ready for the next guest. $5 tax-free makes up for the wage disparity for that half-hour of work. Sometimes I need something extra, and I show my appreciation with money there too.
    I’m a child of parents who lived through the depression, so I’m not inclined to spend money frivolously. However, I refuse to allow my use of a hotel room to further impoverish the woman who cleans it just because few other job choices exist for her. $5 isn’t much, and won’t really solve her problems, but it could if all guests made a point to leave $5 every day their room was serviced.

66. donjo

June 17, 2019 at 4:24 am

I have a tip for ya, plant your corn early

67. alexmyboy

June 17, 2019 at 4:51 am

I did recently as a Holiday Inn in Surfside, South Carolina, because they were short staffed and the hotel is run poorly.

68. cebootsw

June 20, 2019 at 1:10 pm

I used to tip $20.00 at the end of the stay, but because of reading the comments from this website in the past, I changed my habits to tipping $5.00 each day except the last, because that is the day of heavy lifting: all the sheets replaced, etc. So I still tip $20.00 on the last day. Before I leave for a trip, I make sure I have a stash of $5 bills ($5.00 is the new $1.00!). I learned to tip housekeeping from my Mom, decades ago. I try to leave a note which says, “For Housekeeping. Thank you! Gracias!” especially where I sense the housekeeping staff may be Spanish-speaking. I am amazed at the reaction of the housekeepers. They leave me wonderful thank you notes. I know I made their day! Also, I once left a pair of pearl earrings in a hotel, remembering only when we had just driven away. Turned around, went back into the hotel and explained my problem. The housekeeper was just finishing up my then-empty room, but she had already seen the tip I left. Not only was she extremely grateful, but she helped me look for the pearl earrings (which she had not yet seen). Sure enough, there they were, exactly where I left them. I think she was happier than I was to find them there and I believe she would have turned them in to lost and fund. Had a few similar experiences with my husband’s clothing. I always err on the side of generosity, but then I once waitressed in a dive where tips were all we made and I never forgot how much I appreciated them.