Marriott

“Declining Housekeeping to Receive Points is Becoming a Scam”

“Declining Housekeeping to Receive Points is Becoming a Scam”
Meg Butler

Do you decline housekeeping for the points? FlyerTalker bmr12, who recently posted in the Marriott Rewards forum says that he does too, only he never seems to get the points he’s promised:

I don’t know about anybody else, but this whole “decline housekeeping” for 250 or 500 points per night has become a scam in my mind. My experiences this year have mostly been as follows: I dutifully follow the process to decline housekeeping, either through a hang tag or on the app when I check-in. Later, I check out and wait for my points to post. The stay posts, but the housekeeping points seldom post. Then I have to call the Rewards number to get them posted.

Earlier in the year, I called and they just posted them on the spot. Lately, they have to call the hotel and put me on hold while they check. Sometimes, they tell me that they will post them imminently and others tell me “the hotel will post them next week”. Of course, next week comes and goes and the points have not posted. Given that the first call took over 30 minutes to complete between the lengthy hold and then the slow process with the agent, I gave up and emailed Marriott instead. Again, no response and no points.

The number of points is small, so it feels like the real goal here to “save properties money on the rewards program” is to save on the cost of housekeeping and then stiff the members who were chumped into thinking they’d get some points out of the deal. The only losers here are the guests and housekeepers.

Any other advice on how to actually get my measly 750 points posted?

Have you experienced this too? Have any advice for mbr12? Head to the forum thread to share.

[Image Source: Flickr/PortoBay Hotels & Resorts]

1. macssam

June 11, 2018 at 4:54 am

printing worthless money is the real crime

2. infinite97

June 11, 2018 at 6:52 am

Wow, Hilton needs to start doing this. I put the “do not disturb” tag out for almost all of my stays, so I would love some free points for doing what I’m already doing!

3. Steve M

June 11, 2018 at 11:43 am

I had a conversation at a Hyatt property about this. They told me indirectly that the “decline houseekping” bonus points have to be manually posted via a support ticket. So, it’s not like elite bonus points that some chains have, whereby as long as the check-in agent clicks the right box at check-in, the bonus points will automatically post when the stay posts. Any process like this that is outside of what the property management system handles automatically is bound to have a high error rate, especially if there’s a financial disincentive to not fix the problem. I prefer the properties that give you a $5 on-property F&B credit for each night that you decline housekeeping. Although I don’t always use it, the accounting is straightforward and if I use it, I do so before leaving so there is nothing to follow up about.

4. eefor jfp

June 12, 2018 at 5:09 am

Starwood has always been good about this, manual posting or not. Maybe with the merger, Marriott will come up to SPGs level.

5. raquelle

June 12, 2018 at 5:47 am

Same procedure at Radisson – these ‘no housekeeping’ bonus points are posted manually and usually take a month or so to credit. I love the privacy of no moving things around in my room.

6. msconk

June 12, 2018 at 12:11 pm

Never knew you could get miles for no housekeeping. I always refuse housekeeping because I do not want anyone in the room while I am in room or gone. Prefer the privacy as opposed to aggravation of trying to receive points as indicated previously.

7. stefang

June 12, 2018 at 10:05 pm

Starwood is quite good in this regard.

IHG is terrible, especially the Crowne Plaza Minneapolis.