Airlines

CLEAR to Take Over United Airlines Hubs

CLEAR to Take Over United Airlines Hubs
Joe Cortez

Biometric screening company CLEAR will soon have a growing presence at United Airlines hubs, after the Chicago-based carrier announced an equity investment in the company. As part of the new partnership, some flyers may qualify for free or discounted memberships based on their United MileagePlus Premier status.

United Airlines flyers will soon have a new way to bypass long lines at Transportation Security Administration checkpoints, thanks to their latest investment. In a press release, the Chicago-based carrier announced a “strategic equity investment” in CLEAR, the biometric screening company that allows members to skip security lines at airports and sporting events.

Under the new agreement, CLEAR will open lanes at all six domestic United hubs. While CLEAR is already active at United’s hub airports in Denver, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD), the company will open lanes in the future at Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) and Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH).

CLEAR is also extending discounted membership offers to United MileagePlus members. Elite members at the Global Services and Premier 1K levels will receive a complimentary membership, while all other Premier elite members and United co-branded credit card holders can get their membership for $109 per year. All other MileagePlus members can get a CLEAR membership for $119 per year, reflecting a discount of $60.

On the FlyerTalk forums, top-tier United MileagePlus elites were quick to enroll for CLEAR service for free. Overall, flyers had positive reactions toward how the expansion could affect their wait times at the airport.

“It seems like all airports I fly to from DEN [Denver International Airport] never have CLEAR, so that is a bummer,” FlyerTalker pseudoswede writes on the forums. “But CLEAR at DEN is very useful. I am looking forward to avoiding the masses of humanity at MCO [Orlando International Airport] just after New Year’s.”

“I had not rejoined [CLEAR] so far because, at the airports I usually fly out of, PreCheck is fine, and CLEAR would be only a tiny increment faster,” writes United Premier 1K member Artpen100. “But it is a nice perk added when [United] seems more often to be taking them away.”

“It’s not uncommon to have long [TSA PreCheck] line-ups,” at San Francisco International Airport, notes FlyerTalker Kacee. “With CLEAR I don’t hesitate to lounge hop across terminals at SFO, because I’m through security in just a minute or two.”

What’s your opinion of the partnership between CLEAR and United Airlines? Make your thoughts heard on the FlyerTalk forums!

[Featured Image: Wikimedia]

1. DENflyer3

July 30, 2019 at 12:21 pm

Interesting I have always loved CLEAR at DEN especially as I fly during the absolute rush hours. However, it may require a much larger expansion there and at other locations as yesterday at 7:00am the line with all 6 machines working was at least 30 people waiting. That line was starting to wrap around like the TSA lines does. I am noticing it much more, that CLEAR is now turning into almost the same line as Pre-Check during the busiest hours at certain locations like SFO and DEN.

2. sabbasolo

July 31, 2019 at 4:09 am

Will it be available for GS International visitors who are not US residents?

3. Aloha1

July 31, 2019 at 6:04 am

A Chicago based company yet no CLEAR at Ohare??

4. m44

July 31, 2019 at 7:38 am

Clear is un-american.
    It does not make anyone safer. It only allows those who pay extra (Clear fees cover the trusted traveler fees and it uses TSA to clear people) to jump in front of other trusted travelers. Worse than depolrable.
    Until and unless Clear pays for a private security screeners and machines and airports they should be banned from American airports.
    I understand that you like to pay extra $80 (over and above Global Entry & such fees) and jump the line in front of others — but do not be surprised to get your teeth kicked or be yield at for jumping the line.

5. myisland

July 31, 2019 at 10:02 am

We don’t want biometric spying.

6. RU4Real

July 31, 2019 at 11:49 am

I’ve never seen where Clear does anything but get you to the head of the PreCheck line. Waste of money.

7. ChrisHaynesUSA

July 31, 2019 at 1:47 pm

Who would assault someone in a line at an airport with TSA agents and Cops all around?
    You would not be flying that day either after that. And have a documented and filmed assault to contend with legally .

8. CUSTOMDIRECT

July 31, 2019 at 3:18 pm

I have kept my CLEAR membership for years at minimal value do to their lack of presence. This move will make CLEAR more valuable and as a UA 1K, it’s a no brainier!

9. BMGRAHAM

July 31, 2019 at 6:38 pm

@Aloha1 that’s exactly what I was thinking. I read in another announcement that it was coming later this year.

@myisland who is “we”? Speak for yourself. I love my Clear membership.

10. kkua

August 3, 2019 at 8:30 am

I’ve never complained because I have never paid a single cent since its inception. Spousal benefits are only $50 per year and is better than a top-tier elite membership fee.

11. kkua

August 3, 2019 at 8:31 am

And oh… I’m dreading the day when they hit critical mass when the queue length for PreCheck equal the length of CLEAR lanes.

12. edgewood49

August 12, 2019 at 9:43 am

“My Island” wake up and smell the coffee you’re already in it how many times do you think your picture is taken from the time you arrive at the airport up and to exiting the secure areas ? My count is four to six depending on the airport and where your gate is along with domestic or international. If you have a drivers license or official ID your are deeply embedded in the “system” so relax