0 min left

British Tourist Removed From Flight, Questioned for Toy Bomb

No laughing matter: A toy bomb landed one British traveler and his companion in a heap of trouble on a Doha-bound flight from Bali.

It was just a toy, but a replica bomb caused a load of trouble for one British passenger departing from Bali earlier this week.

The man, named as Davide Fogli, had initially declared his purchase – which came complete with a very realistic-looking bundle of dynamite and a timer – as he was passing through security at Ngurah Rai International Airport (DPS) on December 6, 2015.

He explained to security staff there that he had bought it as a toy and intend to take it home to a New Year’s Eve Party. Fogli was then informed that he would not be permitted to take the replica on the Doha-bound Qatar Airways flight and so left the toy behind.

Cleared by airport officials, the man and his female companion proceeded to check in as normal.

But the report of the incident soon reached Trikora Harjo, the airport’s general manager, who ordered that Fogli should be questioned further. By this time, the couple had already boarded the flight, which was on the tarmac preparing for take-off. Under Harjo’s orders, the plane returned to the terminal and Fogli and his companion were escorted off of the aircraft for further inquiries.

Fogli himself was questioned once more by airport officials and then again by local police in Denpasar, the provincial capital. The couple were finally released from questioning more than 24 hours after they were detained on Monday, December 7.

Trikora defended his decision to the Telegraph, saying that it was made, “in accordance with the instructions of the Director General of Transportation.”

An official added that, “This was a very realistic toy and in the current climate, we wanted to know more about his plans.”

Speaking of their release to the newspaper, local police chief Reinhard Habonaran Nainggolan said, “We have found no indication of suspicious reasons, he just bought a toy. But since airport authority filed a report, we had to do a follow up.”

[Photo: Diimex]


Comments are Closed.
drvannostren December 7, 2015

At least he declared it, but don't bring it in the first place, come on man.

roconor40 December 7, 2015

What's the big fuss, that's obviously a clock.