Aircraft

Boeing Talks 757-Type Replacement, Says Aircraft Left “Unique” Market Gap Airlines Want Filled

Joe Cortez

Boeing 757 (Photo: Boeing)

Boeing is considering a replacement for out-of-production 757 at request of multiple airlines.

At the behest of airlines around the globe, Boeing is considering an aircraft that could fit the profile of the 757 without going so far as to commission a new commercial aircraft. Air Traffic World reports the Chicago-based manufacturer is currently evaluating the market gap left by the 757 going out of production.

“We are talking to airlines about this and they want an airplane that is bigger and flies further than the 757,” said Ray Conner, Boeing Commercial Airplanes president and CEO, at the Paris Air Show Tuesday. “There is no such airplane at the moment — the [Airbus] A321LR does not address that need.”

The 1,050th and final Boeing 757 was delivered to Shanghai Airlines in November 2005, marking the end of the jetliner’s 23-year run. Since then, Boeing has invested its efforts in the 737-MAX, 777X and improvements to its 787 Dreamliner.

According to Conner, Boeing is not interested in launching a new aircraft to fill what he describes as the “relatively nice-size market” between the 787-8 and 737 MAX. Instead, Boeing is focused on increasing production rates while introducing improvements to current and future aircraft. Prior to the Paris Air Show, one of the announced improvements included shrinking lavatories to fit more seats on the 777-300ER.

While Boeing is improving their aircraft, other airlines are looking to Airbus for a mid-size replacement for the 757. Last year, American Airlines announced they would evaluate the Airbus A321neo as a possible replacement to their aging fleet of 757.

[Photo: Boeing]

1. bearwoody

June 17, 2015 at 4:10 pm

I’ve already notified United that since I’m 6’4″ I use the sink to urinate in planes that have shrunk the bathrooms. The only other options are to lean forward and scrunch, guaranteeing that I mess my trousers, or, leaning backwards, into a bow, which leads to “spraying” all over the bathroom cabin due to the inability to direct my aim. The other option, to sit down, leads to my stuff touching the inside of the bowl. I encourage all tall passengers (male) to maintain the standing option and use the sink. It’s amazingly refreshing to feel the coolness of the stainless steel while relieving yourself.

2. David-A

June 17, 2015 at 4:56 pm

bearwoody – squat over the toilet, or other wise hold your ‘stuff’ if you are worried about contact with the inside of the bowl. If I could identify you I would report you to the airline, and hope that they banned you for life.

3. FlyingDanishPenguin

June 17, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Bearwoody, tall dude here as well. I feel your pain and this is why lavs need to be kept at a decent size.

4. glennaa11

June 18, 2015 at 10:32 am

The lavs can be smaller!?!?!? How is that even possible?

5. bearwoody

June 18, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Thanks for your comments Peng and glenn. As I stated, I notified United of my practice, and heard nothing back form them. David-A…well, urine is sterile. The water that comes out of the lavatory sinks is teeming with bacteria and germs. Ask any FA, they’ll tell you! From reading here in FT, I learned that the water containers for the lavatory sinks are NEVER sanitized. Anyone who even even brushes their teeth with the water from a lavatory faucet on a plane is a FOOL. Flyers who know better ALWAYS use the bottled water for any additional bathroom functions. What are you doing in the sink that makes you so concerned, anyway?

6. JohnnyRockets

June 23, 2015 at 8:31 am

Uhh, I think it does. Boeing just doesn’t have one.

I do agree that there is still some gap that airlines need Boeing and Airbus to fill. But those 2 probably think its not even worth the investment as it would mainly serve US carriers on TATL routes.
    They can’t go with the smallest 330/787 for 753 or biggest 737/321 for the 752 due to the ranges.

Tug-of-war

On the lav issue, the new ones on the 737 are seriously too small.

7. davidviolin

June 25, 2015 at 4:19 am

I dont get it, just a few months ago Boeing was all about a clean sheet design for 757 successor. Have they just suddenly done a 180? FWIW, I think clean sheet is the best way to go, take tech from 787 and make a single isle longer range 757.