British Airways

BA Passenger Who Sat on Urine-Soaked Seat Dissatisfied With Airline’s Handling of Incident

Jackie Reddy

Andy Vicary was traveling business class on a British Airways flight from the UK to Jamaica when he sat on a urine-soaked plane seat. While he was able to change into dry clothing and BA crew offered him assistance, he says that he is dissatisfied with the way that the carrier handled the incident.

A business class British Airways (BA) passenger was dismayed to find his seat soaked in urine on a flight to Jamaica and says that he is dissatisfied with the way that the carrier handled his complaint, reports Mirror.co.uk.

Andy Vicary was traveling from the UK to the Caribbean with his wife and, explaining what happened to Gloucestershire Live, he said, “We were on board the plane and made our way to our seats and so I sat down with a glass of champagne and thought ‘this is brilliant.’ Then I noticed that the pillow that I was sat on was a little damp and I stood up and then so were my trousers.”

“I turned the pillow over and you could see that the pillow and the entire seat was saturated in urine…I had to move seats and I was not able to sit with my wife for the flight which was really disappointing as well,” he added.

He was forced to change into a set of clothing stowed in his hand luggage, and due to a lack of laundry facilities at his accommodation in Jamaica, Vicary said that his designer jeans had to be thrown out.

Commenting on the compensation offered by BA, Vicary said, “The company offered me 40,000 air miles which for me just didn’t seem enough to compensate what had happened … The lady at British Airways who dealt with the complaint was very nice and everything but I really do not think that they were right to offer me air miles.”

Vicary said that the airline did not offer to replace his designer jeans, which cost £150 ($194). Vicary’s complaint was eventually passed to the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR), a resolution consultancy service. CEDR, however, found that BA’s compensation offer to Vicary was fair.

Offering comment on behalf of the carrier, a spokesperson said, “We apologized to Mr Vicary, moved him to another seat and offered him and his wife enough Avios for an upgrade to business class the next time they fly with us.”

[Photo :Shutterstock]

1. glob99

October 22, 2018 at 5:35 pm

There are cleaners in Jamaica that could have washed his jeans. Just ask the concierge, front desk, or the maid.

2. mvoight

October 22, 2018 at 9:10 pm

Lack of laundry facilities? He could have thrown them in a tub with shampoo or had arrange cleaning somewhere nearby.
    How much compensation did he want?

3. J S

October 23, 2018 at 12:24 pm

I clicked on this story thinking, “There is nothing that would be fair compensation for sitting in a pool of urine for an entire flight.”

Then I read that they a) found him a new seat, b) gave him 40,000 miles and c) paid GBP150 for a pair of pants because he couldn’t be bothered to rinse them out in the sink.

What a total cry baby! BA definitely offered him fair compensation.

4. FLYMSY

October 23, 2018 at 1:38 pm

JS, you need to read more carefully. The airline did NOT pay for his pants.

5. dgcpaphd

October 23, 2018 at 11:46 pm

The story does seem a little hard to believe. For the seat to have been so saturated for urine to penetrate a pillow then wet the trousers means there had to be a huge amount of urine on the seat. Evaporation most likely took care of most or any urine that would penetrate the pillow. Although I could be wrong, I think the situation was exaggerated about the amount of urine. Throwing away the trousers rather than attempt to clean them at the hotel is also hard to believe. Sorry, I think the airline did a good job considering they also moved the passenger as well as giving up 40,000 miles

6. hyho61

October 24, 2018 at 6:03 am

40k avios miles is worthless. Will BA pay the taxes and other charges for a 40k avios ticket – no. Cash is the only way to go. This is not a fair compensation.

7. ksandness

October 24, 2018 at 7:24 am

Clearly BA did not clean the plane thoroughly between flights. That is a problem.

8. rjlon

October 25, 2018 at 4:17 am

BA is not an airline I would choose to fly with but looks to me that the complainant is on the make. Changed seat, apologized, offered to replace jeans and given air miles for an upgrade. What does he expect?

9. WBaransky

October 25, 2018 at 6:00 am

BA should find out who sat in that seat prior and seek compensation for what that person did. Such gross behavior should not be tolerated.
    It also speaks to how the plane is cleaned prior to the next flight. How do you compensate someone who just sat in another persons urine and is flying for mutiple hours, change of clothes or not. Unacceptable.

10. booatx

October 25, 2018 at 6:08 am

Yeah, they should have paid for the jeans in addition to offering the miles. I cannot imagine them doing more than that, but since they did not offer compensation for the jeans, I imagine that is what upset him.

11. jrpallante

October 25, 2018 at 6:10 am

The last sentence suggests that the wife got compensation too. Did they get a total of 80,000 avios? Either way, it sounds like the airline did everything they could under the circumstances. In a perfect world, BA could track down the previous pax from that seat and demand a cleaning fee. But then BA would be attacked on every aviation and news site.

12. donna538

October 25, 2018 at 6:55 am

Always look before you sit. my DH never does and one time he sat in something and had on light tan corduroy pants.

13. rowingman

October 25, 2018 at 7:05 am

I saw the headline and had the same experience on BA IAD to LHR, upper deck, famed seat 62K. Flight attendant was apologetic, changed seats to an aisle seat (oh the horror…). Zero compensation, just brief apology and please change seats from the FA.

14. drphun

October 25, 2018 at 7:26 am

You can pull the seat cushion right out. It wouldn’t have been hard to swap it out between flights instead of putting a pillow over it.

15. ATLConsultant

October 25, 2018 at 8:53 am

That wasn’t NEARLY enough compensation. Dude sat in someone’s pee. That’s ridiculous. At the very least, he and his wife should have been offered 2 R/T biz class vouchers for future flights. That ruined the flight for both of them!

16. azmojo

October 25, 2018 at 4:08 pm

What was the cost of the ticket? We have to look at it from the standpoint that if BA marketed a urine-soaked seat from UK-Jamaica they would have probably not been able to sell it. And not being able to sit next to a companion can also seriously ruin a flight. He’s pretty much entitled to a full refund IMO.

17. sukki007

October 25, 2018 at 9:14 pm

@dgcpaphd Early in a flight from EWR-LAS I accidentally spilled a cup of Diet Coke onto my lap. My seat got soaked, and so did my jeans. Despite copious amounts of paper towels provided by the FA, my (lightweight) pants did not dry, and I sat in misery throughout the entire flight. Those seats retain liquid! Even though it wasn’t urine, I felt sorry for the next passenger who got to sit there. I assume it was business as usual and they did nothing to swap out the seat after landing. While I question the unavailability of laundry facilities at the OP’s destination, I personally can attest to the great discomfort he felt.

18. Richard Street

October 27, 2018 at 1:41 pm

Moving him to another seat is what they should have done to resolve the issue. Paying for the jeans is what he is entitled to as the seat was their responsibility to clean. The air miles are what he deserved for the disruption…end of.

19. littlemissflyer

October 29, 2018 at 5:40 am

Oh dear, I have just had a similar issue although it was dry – it wreaked to make me feel sickly and I felt kinda absorbent somewhat despite it being physically dry!

This time Wizz Air albeit a so called budget airline – it was not even a reasonable experience….

Flight: 2018/10/25
    BTS – LTN 4482

Complaint: Having found I could not checkin via your app on thu eve flight from BTS to LTN due to either/or the app crashing on launch or having deleted and re loaded the app reaching the end of the checkin process & some other error message shows saying “ERROR Sorry, something went wrong” (really???) and then been forced to then pay 35euros fee at the airport with no staff to escalate issue to which was bad enough, once onboard in seat 21F – the seat wreaked of disgusting urine where someone has urinated and then I had to switch to another seat due to the awful smell. This is disgusting and the seat area needs to be disinfected for hygiene reasons. A young child will get sick very easily if not done.