Airlines

“It’s Time for A Women-Only Section on Planes.”

“It’s Time for A Women-Only Section on Planes.”
Jackie Reddy

While the #MeToo movement shows little sign of stopping, Kate Whitehead, a columnist writing in the South China Morning Post, says that the armrest is the latest battleground for gender equality. Whitehead says that she, “dreams of a future in which there are women-only seating sections on planes.”

The airplane armrest is the latest battleground for gender equality, states Hong Kong-based journalist Kate Whitehead.

Writing in the South China Morning Postshe equates some male passengers’ use of the armrest to a kind of man-spreading for those female passengers who are seated near them.

“Nine times out of 10 – based on my extensive experience flying “cattle class” – if a man is seated beside a woman he will claim the armrest. Not only that, but his elbow will protrude slightly into the woman’s seat space. Unless you are prepared to press your arm against the man’s – which will allow you to feel the rise and fall of his breath and is, I feel, too intimate a connection with a stranger – then you have lost two inches of your seat,” Whitehead writes.

She goes on to say that those women who are unlucky enough to find themselves placed between two men have given up a substantial proportion of their seat while “paying the same price as those space-invading men.”

“I dream of a future in which there are women-only seating sections on planes. Most women intuitively understand that the armrest is “neutral territory” and leave it as a slim buffer between them and their neighbor. I’d be prepared to campaign vocally for “pink rows”, but I suspect airlines wouldn’t be in favor because that would mean other rows full only of men – and that wouldn’t work. Men – and airlines – depend on encroachment onto women’s seats for comfortable travel,” Whitehead adds.

[Photo: Shutterstock]

1. JoeDaejeon

December 13, 2018 at 3:52 pm

Shaking my head in disbelief that in one breath the author wants gender equality, and in the next she wants gender segregation. You can’t have it both ways. I feel for anyone who feels they have to put up with someone abusing the armrest shared space and/or has their space invaded by their neighbor, regardless of whether one is male and the other female, both are males, or both are females. Gender has nothing to do with this issue.

2. Global321

December 14, 2018 at 2:47 am

@JoeDaejeon is spot on.

Segregation in public areas is never a good idea. History has shown that very clearly. Kate Whitehead’s writings strike me as very privileged and not very informed. (Think spoiled child.)

India does women-only train cars (read: segregation), rather than addressing the underlying oppression issues. The result is a continued culture where men disrespect women or worse.

The solution is a stronger push for gender equality, accountability for all bad behaviors, not segregation.

3. Marathon Man

December 14, 2018 at 4:12 am

Soarigami Airplane Portable Armrest Extender/Divider https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725KDSW2/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_635eCbSRDZVCZ

4. Allee8890

December 14, 2018 at 4:14 am

Whoever let this one be uploaded to the site should be fired.

5. Jayell

December 14, 2018 at 4:23 am

There is no gender equality because genders are different. This idiocy will pass…meanwhile, I’d love a woman’s section. I’m tall and have had men abuse me because my long legs (women have proportionally longer legs than torsos, in general) were in the back of his reclined seat. The flight attendant was not helpful “the man wants to recline.” But I’m six feet tall. And an inseam of 36″, so where can I put my legs?

I have had men slump over on me in sleep and they are so huge, I can’t budge them off me. I had a guy open a compartment and dump 10 magazines on my head as he rooted around above. Never mind the armrest, I’ve conceded that battle long ago.

The only issue with a woman’s section is we’ll have the seat-back kicking kids there, because it’s like the ladies’ room. you get the kids. Still, ear plugs usually work for kids and it’s only once in a while I’ve had greasy eggs thrown on me by a child at breakfast. Because there’s frequently no more breakfast…

6. openfly

December 14, 2018 at 4:30 am

Let’s have men only sections where we don’t have to listen to women talking loudly and incessantly…..I’m probably not allowed to say that!

7. cynosura

December 14, 2018 at 4:36 am

If a man asked for a “man only” section this would be considered sexist. There would be an outcry from women. As JoeDaejeon said, you can’t have it both ways. This article should have never made it to print.

8. security6

December 14, 2018 at 4:37 am

Sounds like a great idea. There shouldn’t be any problems making the two sections separate but equal.

9. drphun

December 14, 2018 at 4:42 am

This proposal is the opposite of equality. What’s next?
    Requiring women to sit separately? Only men allowed in the club?

This is a problem with the many equality movements. They want both equality and special privileges, but special privileges undermine equality.

10. Nanda Chai

December 14, 2018 at 4:48 am

This snowflake is under the misapprehension that anyone cares what a “cattle class” piece of cargo thinks. Maybe one day she’ll be successful enough, or important enough, to be up in J/F class, where her opinion might matter. Sorry sweetie, you’re just going to have to suck it up, or move to Saudi Arabia.

11. saintsman

December 14, 2018 at 4:54 am

Can you imagine the outcry if someone demanded men only sections?

Besides, even if it was a female only section, someone would still be using an arm rest.

Perhaps all airlines should offer single seats…

12. Tully Mars

December 14, 2018 at 4:55 am

I want EQUALITY! And the armrest 100% of the time. Sounds equal to me.

13. dbacellar

December 14, 2018 at 4:56 am

We should fight for more space on airplanes. Men (or women!) taller than 1.85 m (6′ 12″) invade their neighboors’ space with their legs. Air companies should be forced to offer space enough for moderately fat 1.90 m (6′ 4″) people, at least, on all seats.

If the author had been seated between two fat women, would ask for a ‘fit women section’ on planes? Maybe a ‘fit women who don’t snore section’ on longer, international flights? Wouldn’t be easier having decent space on all seats? Human size changed since the sixties!

14. 35ftcabo

December 14, 2018 at 5:24 am

Gender equality is a real thing, but it’s put in jeopardy with crap like this. How about we leave the armrest for the poor guy/girl in the middle seat and call it a day.

15. docntx

December 14, 2018 at 5:24 am

As we travel, we learn that not all cultures are the same. People were outraged because Orthodox Jews wanted to be separated from women.
    Maybe we have to stop injecting our own “oh so advanced” Westernized views on the world.

16. RooseveltL

December 14, 2018 at 5:27 am

This article is shameful and explains why society is so on edge and divisive.
    How about this for a re-write. Instead of creating a woman vs. man gender war. How about simply explain airplane etiquette? The person in the middle seat should get priority on arm rest independent of their biological sex or current sex/gender distinction.
    If a two seat shared armrest – it is up for grabs.
    And finally, if the individual next to you is exceeding their borders with the armrest, how is that different from flying adjacent to someone overweight? or someone traveling with an infant on their lap? Fixate the last sentence doesn’t include any mention of gender.
    It is FACT there are men (some by culture) which take advantage of women whether office, public transportation, waiting on a queue/line, etc. etc., but unlike a train – a plane has specific seat assignment so each person has boundaries zone which if not respected can result in advising the airline crew. Come on!

17. Counsellor

December 14, 2018 at 5:28 am

Some people are perpetually outraged, even about unintended slights. It must be hard always finding things to be outraged over while the rest of the world is getting on with life.

18. dnfinity

December 14, 2018 at 5:28 am

WTF?! What’s next? A women only street?

19. dnfinity

December 14, 2018 at 5:29 am

WDF?! What’s next? A women only street?

20. BeatCal

December 14, 2018 at 5:31 am

had oversized woman next to me who kept trying to raise the rest. finally told her that if she continued i demand the FA make her buy two seats

21. zitsky

December 14, 2018 at 5:38 am

So women share the as armrest 100% of the time?

22. laperk1028

December 14, 2018 at 5:38 am

Absolutely GREAT and TRUE article! I’m a female AA Exec Plat for over 10 years. Joe, you’re right, doesn’t matter the gender; however 99% of these offenders happen to be male. Just because we have or at least WANT gender equality doesn’t change facts. (at least “my” facts)!

23. vk2bdu

December 14, 2018 at 5:40 am

They don’t want equality, only things their way. I had a woman fall asleep on my shoulder then try to hug me going from KUL to SYD and could not really move (window seat) so it’s not only women who are experiencing issues with the limited room on planes. People need to learn to try and not hassle their fellow passengers as best they can within the confines of the situation and, in the case of an aeroplane, the limited room offered.

24. flyshooter

December 14, 2018 at 5:45 am

Too funny, except, last week I sat next to a woman who was so fat, she needed a seat belt extension. Beyond that, her body fat was so great that it rolled over the arm rest into my space. I agree that some people are so thoughtless as to how their personal action affect others but I’m not sure about your claim as to it being exclusively male.

25. DLBryon

December 14, 2018 at 5:55 am

This is not a gender issue, it’s a size issue. As a 6’3″ man at a normal weight, I don’t fit in an economy seat. My knees are up against the seat in front of me and my shoulders are wider than the seat. Barring an upgrade every flight is uncomfortable for me, and I am generally seated next to someone else who is also wider than their seat. Coach class travel is not designed to be comfortable, nor is it designed to be an attack on women.

26. gay

December 14, 2018 at 6:16 am

I would love a gay men section only. I’d even volunteer to sit in the middle seat.

27. roadtriper

December 14, 2018 at 6:36 am

“9 out of 10 times” Based on her extensive research?! Well let ME tell ya… 47.23% of ALL statistics are Made Up! 🙂

28. alexmyboy

December 14, 2018 at 6:57 am

take a long distance bus in turkey and men and women don’t sit next to each other

29. Mark1976

December 14, 2018 at 7:10 am

I rarely comment on here but this article….

I’m sorry to say this piece needs to be treated with the contempt it deserves (and that’s a vast amount). As @JoeDaejeon rightly comments, this has nothing to do with Gender it’s a matter of common courtesy.

To suggest “men take over” and “women are armrest persecuted because of their gender” is frankly hugely insulting to the vast majority of both men and women. I most always end up with no armrest regardless of whether i’m say next to (or between) rude male or female armrest thieves. Where do I sit in this proposed ludicrous plane configuration?

If anything there should be courteous people cabins and rude people cabins, that would solve the issue.

I wonder if this is just written to bait an arguement?

30. thesaints

December 14, 2018 at 7:25 am

Has Ms. Whitehead tried to lean in, sideways ?

31. CDTraveler

December 14, 2018 at 7:44 am

To JoeDaejeon: gender equality only works when both genders follow the rules. In a lot of years of flying I’ve never had another woman encroach on my space. But about 50% of my flights over a lifetime of flying I’ve had to deal with some man taking the whole armrest and over lapping into my space, manspreading his knee into my space, sticking his legs all the way under the seat and over the bar into my space, etc. Gender has everything to do with this issue.

When I’ve challenged men – by politely asking them not to intrude into my space – the usual answer is “I’m bigger than you so I need more space.” Then buy a premium ticket because your desire for more space is NOT MY PROBLEM.

I’d be delighted with a women only section.

32. Beachcombers

December 14, 2018 at 8:02 am

Ms. Whitehead is absolutely right. Guys also suffer this phenomena from other guys, and I see the same thing when I commute by city bus–guys are much more likely to hang over the dividing line between seats, although there’s no armrest. But it’s easier for me to reverse it by touching them with my arm, since that’s unwanted, than it would be for a woman to do so and possibly have him take the gesture as provocative. However the worst encroachment to the airplane armrest I’ve had came from the person in the seat behind who somehow thought it was OK to use my armrest for her feet (and this came from a woman!) and I asked her to remove them. Undeniably, armrest encroachment is more of a guy thing, but can come from any gender of insensitive traveler.

33. TexasFlyer1248

December 14, 2018 at 8:26 am

When she is sitting in a “female only section,” I hope she has to sit next to the 350-pound behemoth I was stuck next to on a recent flight from Reagan National to Houston. This woman spilled halfway over into my seat. There is no guarantee that every woman she sits next to will be a 90-pound weakling.

34. trentonl

December 14, 2018 at 8:36 am

How about a “no jerks” section?

35. fyree39

December 14, 2018 at 8:49 am

This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. I’ve pushed back on elbows sticking into my space. My elbow is pointy-er than his and much more uncomfortable pushing into the side of his bicep. I even had a guy push his laptop into my side and I just slid it back into his space. No words exchanged. Just well-defined body language. Gender has absolutely nothing to do with it and I’m frankly sick and tired of all this discussion on the topic.

And I regularly upgrade to first class when I can. That also helps.

36. musicman27pa

December 14, 2018 at 9:01 am

I will gladly give up the arm rest to any normal size woman to avoid the overweight 300 pound bubba that I sometimes get sat next to. Actually they could make the arm rest wider for normal size people and it wouldn’t be an issue (keep in mind currently if you aren’t in business class it is only 1-2″ wide)

For crying out loud they should have a section for normal BMI people and let the rest of the cattle plan roll in the cottage cheese action from all the bodily touching.

It is a relief to sit next to someone with good hygiene that isn’t obnoxious nor having their fat roll into the space I paid for. Just saying the arm rest is the least of normal travelers problems. Instead of selling normal legroom how about guaranteeing my space and that I will not have to deal with someone’s fat rolls touching me…. That would be too much mike common sense…

37. c1ue

December 14, 2018 at 9:02 am

I have to agree with the above. Armrest usage is not a gender issue – it is a general politeness issue.
    I personally always cede the armrests to my fellow passengers: on the rare occasions when I occupy middle seats, because I’m a pretty big guy and want to be considerate; when I’m in a window or aisle seat, I equally cede the armrest because I sympathize with the middle seat-er.
    However, I’ve been elbowed, been in uncomfortably long contact and otherwise “armrest encroached” by both men and women who feel that the armrest is theirs.
    I’d also question the Ms. Whitehead’s understanding of the situation: women in general are significantly smaller than men, and (again on average) have less forced need for the space on the armrests. I also question this assertion that men travel just so that they can dominate women’s armrests. I don’t know about Ms. Whitehead, but I never know who my seatmates are. It hardly makes for good travel planning to rely on women seatmates to encroach armrest borderlands on.
    Perhaps this author also feels that really, really big people of both sexes (I’m 105 kg – people who are 150 kg or more are really, really big) travel just so they can fill their and part of their seat mates space just to dominate…

38. BSpeaker

December 14, 2018 at 9:08 am

Ah Joe, you took the words right out of my mouth. As a female traveler I find this article insulting and beyond belief. To place the blame for this behavior on men is sexist, unfair and foolish. I don’t know where people get the idea that somehow women are more considerate or better at sharing or that either sex is better/worse at anything.

All I would say to Kate Whitehead is, “grow a pair.” If a man has completely taken over a section of my or bogarted the armrest, I would smile sweetly and say, “Hey, can we find a way to share this?”
    And, of course it matters if I’m in the middle seat or the aisle. If he is in the middle seat and I’m in the aisle, I’d give him the armrest and use my aisle side.

Women need to knock it off. Either we are equal — which means we stand up for ourselves. Or we are delicate flowers who need special “Pink” sections on airplanes and need some big strong flight attendant to save us. We cannot have it both ways.

Speak up, woman! And don’t force the rest of us female road warriors to put up with your nonsense. I can take care of myself, thank you.

39. Snuggs

December 14, 2018 at 9:10 am

Not seeing Joe’s inability to reconcile equality and segregation. When the MRS and I fly cattle, whether assigned or not, we usually have a middle seat between the two of us. She will always offer to allow the middle seater to swap her aisle seat “if you agree to allow me the armrest between us”. If on WN, and it’s a man asking, about 50% of the time, they will give her a look, and walk away.

If they agree, or usually, just shrug their shoulders, half of those times she has to ask to have the armrest relinquished. Yes, I give her the armrest between us, but it’s not an issue of her being greedy…. it is the very issue the author describes. Over the armrest the elbow comes and into her space.

There’s another story on today’s flyertalk email regarding courtesy to your seat neighbors… wonder if this issue comes up?

40. rylan

December 14, 2018 at 9:43 am

Crazy people… that journalist obviously has a messed up vision of the world.
    Might as well have a a ‘women only’ lav too. Or how about women only overhead compartments, or special women only service? Maybe an all female flight crew too? Or an all women airline that only sells tickets to women? Then what’re you going to complain about when you get stuck between two ‘women of size’ and they encroach into your space?

41. PattyBird

December 14, 2018 at 10:51 am

It’s interesting all the entitled and perhaps overweight men who have replied to this thread. And congrats to those who regularly get upgrades. I’m fortunate enough to rarely get a middle seat. However, I make generous use of my elbows to anyone who doesn’t have the good sense to control his (or her) arms. And sharply to anyone who dares to flop on top of me.

42. picturegal

December 14, 2018 at 11:57 am

I actually thought the article was tongue-in-cheek until I read all the furious responses.

43. BMGRAHAM

December 14, 2018 at 12:56 pm

I actually agree that there should be men and women only sections, so that those of us that are religious don’t have to sit next to women wearing very immodest clothing. As for the armrests, I think it’s all in her mind but I would be very happy to not have to sit next to someone with opinions like that.

44. ttama

December 14, 2018 at 12:59 pm

On every single economy flight I’ve taken in the last two years, on every single airline, I’ve sat next to a man who has done exactly this: not only hogged the armrest but has encroached into my own seat space, sometimes because he’s using a laptop (which is no excuse) and sometimes for no obvious reason at all. I often get a leg pressed hard against mine too. I’m 60 so I don’t think they’re trying their luck, it just seems as if they feel entitled to my space as well as theirs.

I sometimes fight for my space by pressing back against them but it’s not a case of them needing to take a hint; they actively press back. Occasionally they move back a bit when they realise I have a male companion on the other side. Occasionally I just speak very loudly and ask them to move their leg away from mine (I’m old enough to do this without embarrassment to myself) which does seem to scare them …. but would I be justified in doing the same about arm encroachment? Is that as offensive or would I come across as being unreasonable to cabin crew (even though I’m not).

It strikes me that it’s more a power play than a sexual assault as such, but it’s strange that it never used to happen to my husband when he sat in the middle seat. Now, for health reasons, he needs the assurance of space, so I act as a buffer for him and always take the middle seat. My heart sinks when I realise it’s going to be a man sitting next to me. Why do I never get a female neighbour??

45. Bueller67

December 14, 2018 at 1:23 pm

This article is more SJW insanity. I fly at least 40k a year, globally and domestically. When someone is seated next to me regardless of gender, I generally keep my arms folded, hands on my knees or on the tray table. And leave the arm rest welcome to whoever is next to me as a courtesy. This is an issue of manners, not gender or evil men.

46. kuraka

December 14, 2018 at 1:45 pm

This is so interesting! In all but one of the responses the basic assumption is that there are is a limited good to which we must acquiesce and over which we need to compete. In this case, the limited good is comfort on an airplane, which would absolutely not be a limited good at all if the airlines were not seeking to maximize profit over all else and did not behave basically like a cartel, with the same practices across the board so nobody has a choice. Instead of addressing this underlying problem of airline practices, and pushing to reverse it, we instead fight over the crumbs that are left over. Thus, the distracting tug-of-war over who has the right over the armrest and whether women should get our own section. (such a cop-out solution, by the way)

Reminds me of the affirmative action debate: we fight over who gets priority in school admissions or employment and forget that neither education nor employment should be a limited good, and have only been made that way by policies and motives that have nothing to do with the public good. Instead of limiting the demand to some getting a piece of the pie over others to correct historical injustices, shouldn’t we be clamoring for free education for all and full employment for all?

To my limited intelligence, the armrest issue sounds a bit like that: instead of accepting unnecessary discomfort from airlines and bickering among ourselves over who gets the two inches or arm room (two inches, for goodness’ sakes! what a pathetic objective to fight for!), couldn’t we, the “cattle”, as some call those of us who’d have the effrontery to travel just like our putative social betters do, act firmly and civilly among ourselves to deal with the armrest or whatever other issue, and focus our energies on getting the airline cartel to restore and then improve conditions on board?

47. Scott Kiwi

December 14, 2018 at 2:09 pm

The best solution would be separate planes for men. They would have extra wide seats and lots of legroom. Women’s planes would too, since we want all passengers to be treated equally.

48. park_g

December 14, 2018 at 3:09 pm

As others here have suggested, I do not believe this is a gender issue. I fly over 50,000 miles a year, so because of the perks this offers me, I almost never need to take the middle seat (same as article author?). As we all (should) know, the passenger in the middle seat gets the arm rests. Period. However, this doesn’t mean that the passenger in the middle can invade the space beyond the armrests. Like the author, I am tall (6’3) and I find that the middle seat passenger often does invade my personal space by an inch or so. On reflection, maybe these passengers are mostly men (I’m male also), but does that also reflect the fact that men tend to fly more than women (especially in East Asia)?

49. Grog

December 14, 2018 at 3:11 pm

kuraka nailed it on Dec 14, 2018 at 1:45 pm.

If you didn’t read that comment, do so. It’s worth every word. Airline policies are helping to increase the discomfort and indeed dangers that we ALL experience collectively.

50. Aussienarelle

December 14, 2018 at 5:55 pm

Total step backwards for feminism.

51. dankim78

December 15, 2018 at 7:17 am

It’s not a gender issue.
    Whenever I sit near above-average weighted woman, they claim the armrest.

52. MimiB22

December 15, 2018 at 7:26 am

I have had both men and women encroach on my arm rest space and also my leg space. As a woman, my experience is that it’s usually men who are doing the encroaching mainly because of their larger size and sometimes just because they’re men who feel entitled. But women do it too, especially overweight women. I’ve had women try to raise that AR because they’re not comfortable. I sympathize but won’t allow this, trying to be quiet, polite but firm, I don’t hesitate to call the FA if necessary, who may try mediate, but I have a right to my limited seat space and of course, the FA explains it to the pax and the arm rest stays down. If dirty looks could kill … Still, it’s not my fault or responsibility to accommodate a person too large to fit in a seat because airlines are shrinking seat pitch causing uncomfortable situations.
    If a man tries to take all the arm rest, I will suggest we work out a share. It usually works, he may get the front, I get the back.. As for man spreading, ask him to move his legs over. They often apologize, not realizing what they’re doing. Separate male and female seating is not needed. Sane seating size should be right for all. Courteous firmness usually works. Women should not be shrinking violets.

53. rjpjr

December 15, 2018 at 9:26 am

Special women/men-with-children-under-12 sections too. Right next to the toilets.

54. Airrage

Airrage

December 15, 2018 at 1:16 pm

This has got to be one of the biggest pieces of horse s*** ever posted on this site.

When I am next to a woman I go out of my way to save the armrest for her. And being 6’2″, 220#’s with broad shoulders that is hard to do.

And we wonder why some people are saying the #metoo movement has gone too far.

55. FlyingHighlander

December 15, 2018 at 6:06 pm

SJW nonsense. What a non-article. Men can’t help having broader shoulders. What can be fixed is the width of airline seats.

56. quicky

December 16, 2018 at 9:09 am

1st, there is no difference in gender but only personality about the armrest struggle.
    2nd, this issue reminds me when on a domestic flight in Saudi Arabia a man refused to sit beside a woman. I was shocked but it looks like some female activists are having the same middle age mind. We should not give up the aquisition of modern thinking to narrow minded people.

57. jeffreyt2000

January 10, 2019 at 10:28 am

The actual article is actually even more absurd than this summary with Kate (the author) calling for “pink Rows” on the planes and stating clearly that it is only that hog the armrests, etc. I fly extensively too and mostly in coach and my experience is that yes, men do most of the armrest hogging because the majority of flyers are men. And they aren’t doing it because the person next to them is a woman, they do it because they are rude and inconsiderate and feel entitled. I am an man and have had many other men overlapping armrests into my space. Sometimes I simply give them a nice elbow to claim my space, sometimes I speak to them directly.
    That said, I have also had women overlap into my seat with their arms, hair, and a couple time lean on me as they fell asleep. A couple of these wome seems to have the opinion that I wouldn’t mind because she was a woman and I was a man. Please tell me, what part of the #MeToo movement says that is ok?
    This article is yet another example of falsely claiming that bad behavior by men is (1) only done by men and (2) directed at women. Both of these assumptions are blatantly false and do more harm to the #MeToo and related movements.