Airlines

Another Airline Made Someone Sit in Pee for Hours

Another Airline Made Someone Sit in Pee for Hours
Ryan Boyd

In keeping with a bizarrely consistent theme of airlines telling people to sit in urine for hours at a time, mother Ann Fretts is suing British Airways after she claims the carrier made her daughter sit in a urine-soaked seat for the duration of their flight from Heathrow Airport (LHR) to Logan International Airport (BOS).

According to Fretts, flight staff addressed the problem not by cleaning up the urine, but by covering the seat with blankets and air freshener, the latter of which Fretts claimed gave her respiratory problems during the flight.

“I wore my polo-neck as a mask over my nose and mouth for most of the flight,” she said. “We were told by staff to sit there, or get off the plane.”

To read more on this story, go to Travel Pulse.

[Photo: Shutterstock]

1. SimProgrammer

December 12, 2018 at 4:15 am

I had this problem with Thai. My seat was freshly peed and the smell was quite rancid. I politely complained that it was not appropriate for me to use that seat for the next 11 hours. As I was polite, I was given a free upgraded to J.

2. MimiB22

December 12, 2018 at 6:16 am

Has it really gotten this bad? Making someone sit in a urine soaked seat, rather than finding them a seat in another area? Are airlines really this greedy to monetize everything, even passenger wellbeing?I remember the days when after take off, one could move to another seat within one’s “class” if it was unoccupied. No one niggled over whether that seat cost $15 more or had an extra 2 inches of leg space. Long gone era, OK, but come on, nothing could be done to appropriately accommodate this passenger? No wonder we have come to hate flying.

3. jonsg

December 12, 2018 at 1:21 pm

I notice the mother was content to let her daughter sit in a urine-soaked seat, whilst remaining in a nice dry one herself.

4. thesaints

December 12, 2018 at 5:05 pm

Shouldn’t airline charge MORE for micturated upon seats ? I see “free elite upgrades to extra fragrant seats” coming…

5. dvs7310

December 12, 2018 at 8:06 pm

@MimiB22, frankly I have to say I very much like the way it is now. As a high status flyer of a particular carrier, I fairly frequently have empty seats or even an entire empty row next to me when flying economy. This is by design, not by accident, gate agents will put standbys and late seat assignments next to non-status or lower status passengers. The last thing I want is someone poaching that extra personal space that was intentionally left there by the airline staff for me.

I think the all too frequent reports of urine soaked seats are the cause of certain airlines’ pilots abusing the seatbelt sign and their flight attendants overly enforcing the rule. Seatbelt signs do not need to be on during the entire climb out on a smooth day, many airlines turn them off at 10,000 feet. Also the slightest twitch of turbulence doesn’t warrant a seatbelt sign either. Overzealous FA’s who lock the lav doors as soon as the seatbelt sign comes on (unnecessarily in many cases) are the cause of most of these urine accidents.

6. IanFromHKG

December 12, 2018 at 10:43 pm

jonsg +1
    If I was travelling with one of my darling daughters we would probably fight over who got the seat soaked in urine. But I’d “win”, and take the seat. Well, unless my wife was there, in which case (being realistic) she’d probably “win”!

7. Jenna Carpenter

December 13, 2018 at 6:20 am

That’s totally awful. I thankfully haven’t had pee but I was seated next to a man who vomited 4x on the flight and they didn’t take the bags. 🤢 LHR-PHL was a long flight that day.

8. mvoight

December 17, 2018 at 2:38 pm

If you have to go to the lav they do NOT physically stop you.
    If you ask permission, they will say “no” due to liability issues, if the seatbelt sign is on.
    However, if you have to go, you have to go, and I have not seen anyone forcibly prevented from doing so