News

American Airlines Ends Partnership Earnings With Hilton, Choice and Best Western

FlyerTalk

Another development in American Airlines’ new-ish partnership with Hyatt hotels just popped up in the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum, a FlyerTalker shared this statement from an e-mail they received from American’s AAdvantage program:

“Thank you for being a member of the AAdvantage® program. We know you value the ability to earn AAdvantage miles through many of our partnerships, and we want to let you know about changes with some partners. Effective April 1st, AAdvantage members will no longer be able to earn miles or convert points to miles with Best Western® Hotels and Resorts, Choice Hotels® or Hilton. Members can still earn miles or convert points to miles through March 31, 2020.”

Hyatt & American Airlines (and No One Else)

This news is following American Airlines’ recent partnership with Hyatt. The two have joined forces to incentivize members of both programs to earn Hyatt points with American Airlines flights, and vice versa by linking your accounts. Plus, the partnership offers status benefits: Members of American Airlines’ invitation-only Concierge Key tier can receive World of Hyatt Globalist status. Meanwhile AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, and Platinum members can earn World of Hyatt elite status at an accelerated rate.

Unfortunately, if you’re a Hyatt Globalist with no desire to fly frequently with American Airlines, or vice versa, this puts you in a less advantageous position. And, if you are, come join the FlyerTalk on the topic in the AAdvantage forum and let us know if this affects what you plan to do with your points and miles.

1. jayer

January 31, 2020 at 7:55 pm

Both used to be the best, or at least close. Now neither are what they used to be, and slowly slipping behind the competition. So it is a sad natural partnership. Kind of like the Pennsylvania Railroad getting together with the New York Central in another era. We know how that worked out.

2. Tack

February 1, 2020 at 10:01 am

I’ve never found value in the Hyatt chain. Just my preference, but the Hilton product, especially their Waldorf and Conrad properties have worked well for me. Disappointed, but I’ve got no desire to try out Hyatt again. This is a bit of a devaluation for me…not tragic but not ideal.

3. TheBarron

February 1, 2020 at 11:25 am

That’s no loss as far as getting rid of Best Western. We’ll never stay at one again due to lousy rooms, loud hallways, paper-thin walls, noisy vending & ice machines in hallways, etc. Ooof!

4. Dublin_rfk

February 3, 2020 at 3:48 am

It’s nice to see a little focus from an airline. As for adversely affecting non frequent flying Globalists. I would look at this as a boost to Diamond members who don’t frequent AA.

5. dliesse

February 3, 2020 at 11:28 am

Won’t affect me, since I won’t fly American unless the other choice is Frontier/Allegiant/Spirit, but if I were active in the program I’d be very disappointed. I have no use for high-end hotels, so a tie-in with Hyatt is of no value to me.

6. InHoc

February 10, 2020 at 12:12 pm

As a Hyatt Globalist and Delta 3MM Diamond, I didn’t see any benefit to the Hyatt/AA partnership. It turns out, however, that Hyatt was able to give Executive Platinum status to some of it’s Globalists, perhaps reciprocal to AA giving Globalist status to some their Concierge Key members. The 4 AA Systemwide upgrades are a huge benefit. I’ve also been a Hilton Diamond member for years, and I’ve never received a perk like this from Hilton.