Airline rewards programs come in handy and if you travel a lot (or sign-up for credit card bonuses) frequent flyer miles add up quickly. If you’re planning a trip to Sydney, Australia, here are the top five hotels in which you can earn the most frequent flyer miles.
InterContinental Hotel Group operates everything from InterContinental Hotels to the Holiday Inn group of hotels to the Crowne Plaza chain. If you join Priority Club, their hotel rewards program, you can earn 2,000 Priority Club points at InterContinental hotels outside of North America, Latin America and the Caribbean. Airlines will also award you for staying at the InterContinental: Delta awards two SkyMiles per dollar spent, which can include things like room service, hotel dining, laundry, etc. United Airlines offers either 500 miles or two miles per dollar spent. American Airlines offers 500 AAdvantage miles per stay and Qantas Airlines offers 3 points dollar.
If you would rather spend miles at the InterContinental, it will cost you 45,000 points per night plus $40. The Priority Club Visa by Chase offers 60,000 points after first use, which will easily get you a free night’s stay.
- Address: 117 Macquarie Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000
- Rooms: 509
- On site: One restaurant, lounge, health and fitness center, indoor swimming pool
- Hotel program: Priority Club (45,000 points)
- Reservations: 1-888-IC-HOTELS
- Price: $$$$
If you’re a Marriott Rewards member (which is free to join), you can save 20% on rates Thursdays through Sundays. Plus you can earn 10 Marriott Rewards points per dollar spent here. Delta Airlines also rewards its frequent flyer members with two SkyMiles for every eligible dollar spent during each stay. If you’re a member of United Airlines MileagePlus miles programs you’ll earn two miles per dollar, and you’ll earn the same rate with Continental’s OnePass.
If you’d rather get a few nights for free at the Harbour Marriott it will cost you 35,000 points per night. However, if you get the Marriott Rewards Premier Visa, you will receive one free night upon approval and 50,000 bonus points when you spend $1,000 in three months. You can easily get two complimentary nights here!
- Address: 30 Pitt Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000
- Rooms: 508
- On site: One restaurant, pub, cafe, health club, indoor pool, sauna, spa
- Hotel program: Marriott Rewards (Category 7)
- Reservations: 1-888-236-2427
- Price: $$$-$$$$
The Sheraton is a Starwood property and Starwood’s rewards program, Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG), offers two Starpoints for every dollar you spend here. You can also earn airline miles: two Delta SkyMiles per dollar, two United miles per dollar, or two American miles per dollar.
Alternately, you can get a couple nights free here if you get the Starwood Preferred Guest American Express card, which gives you 10,000 Starpoints on first purchase and another 15,000 Starpoints when you spend $5,000 within six months. The Sheraton is a Category 5, which means you can get a free night for 12,000 Starpoints or, using SPG’s Cash & Points program, 4,800 Starpoints plus $90 per night.
- Address: 161 Elizabeth Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000
- Rooms: 557
- On site: One buffet restaurant, tea lounge, bar, indoor rooftop swimming pool, gym, spa
- Hotel program: Starwood Preferred Guest (Category 5)
- Reservations: 1-800-325-3535
- Price: $$$-$$$$
The Shangri-La Hotel is part the Shangri-La Hotel and Resort company, which offers a fairly poor rewards program, Golden Circle. Nevertheless, you can receive one Golden Circle point per dollar spent (it costs 5,000 points for a free night here, and there aren’t any credit card bonuses to help offset that). However, you can still earn airline miles here: Delta, American, United, British Airways and Air Canada each off 500 miles per stay. Virgin Atlantic offers 750.
- Address: 176 Cumberland Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000
- Rooms: 563
- On site: Two restaurants, two bars, gym, indoor swimming pool, spa
- Hotel program: Golden Circle (5,000 points)
- Reservations: 1-866-565-5050
- Price: $$$$
You’ll earn 10 Hilton HHonors base points for every dollar spent. Plus using Hilton’s Double Dip promotion, you can also earn miles with several airlines. You have the choice between HHonors points plus Fixed Miles, and HHonors points plus Variable Miles. Fixed Miles provides 500 miles in your choice of airline. Variable Miles gives you one mile per dollar spent, so this is the option to go with if you expect to spend more than $500 at the Hilton Sydney.
If you’d rather get free nights at this hotel, it’s a Category 7 and will cost 50,000 HHonors points per night. There are several Hilton cards available, including the Hilton Amex that awards 40,000 points after spending $750 within three month, the Citi Hilton Visa that awards 40,000 points after spending $1,000 within four months. If you apply for both of these, you’ll have 80,000 points available. Or, you could get the Citi Hilton Reserve Visa which offers two free weekend nights after spending $2,500 in four months.
- Address: 480 George Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000
- Rooms: 579
- On site: Two restaurants, two bars (including the incredible Marble Bar), cafe, gym, pool, spa
- Hotel program: Hilton HHonors (Category 7) – Earn 2 Free Weekend Nights with the Citi Hilton HHonors Visa
- Reservations: 1-888-414-2018
- Price: $$$-$$$$
MORE FROM THE LOBBY