Not to be outdone by the Hilton HHonors frequent guest loyalty program, Starwood Preferred Guest has announced a set of new benefits for members effective as of March 1. 2012 that are additional to the existing benefits members currently enjoy, which are as follows:
- A welcome gift at check-in for all Starwood Preferred Guest Gold elite members, who will be able to choose from bonus Starpoints, free in-room internet access, or a complimentary beverage as their gift with each stay.
- Continental breakfast will be an available option at check-in as part of the Welcome Gift choice for Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum elite members, who can choose from the breakfast, bonus Starpoints, or a local gift at each stay.
- Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum elite members who stay:
- 50 nights or more during a calendar year will receive ten Suite Night Awards to upgrade to a suite or premium room, in addition to the existing benefit of offering upgrades at check-in to best available room, which includes standard suites.
- 75 nights or more during a calendar year will receive four Starpoints per eligible dollar earned, plus receive access to Your24, a new benefit which allows members to choose their check-in time — for example, if you check in at 8:00 in the evening, you can stay until 8:00 in the evening on the day of departure.
- 100 nights or more during a calendar year will receive access to their own personal ambassador to help with all of their travel planning.
- Members with 250 eligible nights and any five years of Starwood Preferred Guest elite status will earn SPG Lifetime Gold status.
- Members with 500 eligible nights and any ten years of Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum elite status will earn SPG Lifetime Platinum status.
These changes are in addition to the most recent program change that occurred in October 2011, where all award stays and nights now qualify toward elite status.
Starwood Preferred Guest members who completed 50 or more nights in 2011 will receive the benefits listed above. Member kits that will start arriving this month will also reflect the new Lifetime status if you have achieved it.
Most FlyerTalk members applaud the changes. which significantly increases the value of the Starwood Preferred Guest frequent guest loyalty program, in my opinion.