US Airways Dividend Miles frequent flier loyalty program members found out — with no advance notice or official announcement, as far as I can find at this time — that award redemption in the first class cabin on Lufthansa aircraft is no longer available as of January 1, 2013, which was this past Tuesday.
While this is not exactly news over which to celebrate, FlyerTalk members are not surprised. FlyerTalk members have reportedly been having problems for some time about redeeming Dividend Miles for award seats in the first class cabin on Lufthansa aircraft, speculating that one of the reasons might have been technology issues. The redemption problems caused FlyerTalk members to ask repeatedly over a period of time about the redemption of Dividend Miles for award seats in the first class cabin on Lufthansa aircraft — but apparently there have been issues redeeming them on other airlines as well.
This is a list of exceptions listed in the notes on the official US Airways Dividend Miles partner award chart document:
- Beginning January 1, 2013, award redemption in Lufthansa first class cabin is unavailable
- Award redemption on the Singapore Airlines Suites, First Class and Business Class cabin products on the A380, B777-300ER and A340-500 aircraft is currently unavailable
- Award redemption on Hawaiian Airlines is available on inter-island and South Pacific flights only
- Award redemption on Qatar Airways and Royal Jordanian is temporarily unavailable
- Award redemption on Virgin Atlantic is only available in economy class
- Excludes Hawaii
- North Asia includes China, Hong Kong, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Macau, Mongolia, South Korea, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan
- South & Central Asia includes Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Brunei, Cambodia, Chagos, India, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Vietnam
Before the first item was quietly added, it is easy to see from the remaining items of the above list why FlyerTalk members were confused or uncertain about the redemption of Dividend Miles for award seats in the first class cabin on Lufthansa aircraft.
It is uncertain at this time as to whether it was US Airways or Lufthansa which decided on this policy. Regardless, it is a devaluation for you if you used this award option or intended to do so in the future…