Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

What's the story with Tryp by Wyndham hotels and Melia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: more than I care to list...

I've only been able to find a couple of references to this (either on flyertalk or anywhere else on the web), most of which are dated back to 2010 or 2011, very close to when Wyndham seems to have originally acquired Tryp.

There seemed to be a lot of issues back then and things don't seem to be any better now from what I can find online... Can you use Wyndham rewards to book at any Tryp BY WYNDHAM hotel now or is it only a (severely disappointing) handful that can actually be booked with Wyndham rewards?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Ok, I'll add a data-point to my own question (I really only posted because it was late at night and I figured someone may answer before I had the time to dig into my myself).

At any rate, it took a good 30 minutes on the phone and asking to be transferred several times - eventually to a supervisor - but the supervisor was able to confirm that Wyndham Reward points CAN be used for Tryp properties that are run by (owned? associated with?) Melia Hotels. But it requires you call in and speak to someone who knows it's possible, likely meaning getting to a supervisor in most cases, and they have to put in a special request and someone from either Melia hotels or the property itself will contact you to finish the booking.

A little disappointing as it's more time/effort and likely to take long enough that you shouldn't plan on booking a stay for the coming week or two, but I am at least glad the option is there.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: Wyndham
Sorry - didn't see your other post.
On the Melea Rewards site it list Wyndham Rewards as a partner.

Last edited by Emskevin; Jan 14, 2017 at 7:50 pm Reason: Mistake
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How ironic that it's so difficult to book a Tryp hotel with WyndhamRewards poitns when the WyndhamRewards program used to be known as TripRewards (up to mid-2008). Perhaps that's why had to change the name???
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

How the Tryp brand fits into Wyndham Rewards is just weird. They are ALL listed as Tryp by Wyndham hotels but there are only a small number that come up on Wyndham's site if you're searching for hotels. And even those that do can't be booked online and you have to call in to book. The Tryp NYC is the most known as it's one of only two Tryp hotels in the states. The other being in Atlantic City, though two more are slated to open this year - Fort Lauderdale and (VERY weirdly) College Station.

But if you look outside the US (Spain and France, for example, as that's where I've been looking) you can find hotels listed on Tryp's website, but almost none of them show in searches on the Wyndham site so you'd have no idea they even existed if you didn't search the brand specifically or find it on an OTA, etc.

Just baffling. Though again, I am glad they've at least found a way to make it possible to book these (even if it seems like they're practically hiding the option). Doesn't seem these were able to be booked back when Wyndham first acquired Tryp.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mpk620
How the Tryp brand fits into Wyndham Rewards is just weird. They are ALL listed as Tryp by Wyndham hotels but there are only a small number that come up on Wyndham's site if you're searching for hotels. And even those that do can't be booked online and you have to call in to book. The Tryp NYC is the most known as it's one of only two Tryp hotels in the states. The other being in Atlantic City, though two more are slated to open this year - Fort Lauderdale and (VERY weirdly) College Station.

But if you look outside the US (Spain and France, for example, as that's where I've been looking) you can find hotels listed on Tryp's website, but almost none of them show in searches on the Wyndham site so you'd have no idea they even existed if you didn't search the brand specifically or find it on an OTA, etc.

Just baffling. Though again, I am glad they've at least found a way to make it possible to book these (even if it seems like they're practically hiding the option). Doesn't seem these were able to be booked back when Wyndham first acquired Tryp.
Are you sure that Tryp is one company worldwide?. Certainly Choice isn't. Nordic Choice, for example, is a totally separate Choice than the Choice Hotels which runs Choice Privileges. In that case, the result is that there are a bunch of countries in the world where if you're Choice Privileges you can burn but you can never earn. And yet many of the brands (Comfort, Quality, Clarion) repeat between Choice Hotels and Nordic Choice. So someone seems to have licensed hotel brand names to other companies, but that doesn't mean you can earn and/or burn at the same brand name worldwide, if it isn't the same company.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Are you sure that Tryp is one company worldwide?. Certainly Choice isn't. Nordic Choice, for example, is a totally separate Choice than the Choice Hotels which runs Choice Privileges. In that case, the result is that there are a bunch of countries in the world where if you're Choice Privileges you can burn but you can never earn. And yet many of the brands (Comfort, Quality, Clarion) repeat between Choice Hotels and Nordic Choice. So someone seems to have licensed hotel brand names to other companies, but that doesn't mean you can earn and/or burn at the same brand name worldwide, if it isn't the same company.
If they were Tryp by Melia - or even just Tryp - I would find that to make more sense. At least with Choice, while likely confusing to someone who may not know, they differentiate with Choice vs Nordic Choice. If they're separate companies why are they all known as "TRYP by Wyndham" hotels then?

At this point we're just arguing semantics, but I still say it doesn't really make sense.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Nordic Choice members earn Nordic Choice club points at all US Choice hotels where US Choice members can earn and burn points. But for Nordic Choice, it's indeed part of a license and limited geographical allowance sort of agreement with Choice.

Tryp used to be owned by Melia, but Melia's sale of Tryp to Wyndham was probably done to allow Melia some sort of limited and/or continuing relationship with the Tryp name even after Wyndham did its acquisition. My bet is that there was some list or geographical based allowance set up for that to take place even after the deal closing.

A brand being owned by one hotel company doesn't mean the property flying that flag can't be operated by a different hotel company than the one owning the flag. This is part of what has gone on with Tryp and Melia.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 19, 2017 at 6:17 am
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by mpk620

I can find a certain Tryp hotel on Melia site but not on Wyndham site and another Tryp hotel on Wyndham site but not on Melia site (Munich, Germany). I can find them both on tryphotels.com
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:33 am
Company Representative - Wyndham Rewards

Programs: Wyndham Rewards
Hi All!

Thanks so much for all of your great questions. We recognize that redeeming Wyndham Rewards points for our Tryp by Wyndham locations can be challenging. We’re actively working on some solutions to improve your experience.

Until these additional solutions are available, the only way to redeem your Wyndham Rewards points for a Tryp by Wyndham hotel stay is to call 1-866-315-0884. This number will give you access to our Wyndham Rewards member services team dedicated to Tryp by Wyndham redemptions.

--Wyndham Alison
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: BA, IB, DC, Amex PP, Motel 6, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel
Given that Alison's posting above is now over 2 years old, does anyone have more recent experience / knowledge of trying to redeem in Spain at TRYP by Wyndham, please ?

I am in UK so a US phone call is not the best option if others exist.

Is there any clarity whether all TRYPs are included in the scheme ?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.