Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

What if the hotel is way below expectations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, hotel whore

TLDR: What to do when the property is just too dirty to stay and they don't want to let you cancel the reservation once you've seen your room?
  • Also: Can you leave because the WiFi doesn't work?
  • Also: Does the hotel have an obligation to inform you that they are under construction?
  • Also: Tips for booking by phone?
/TLDR

I've once encountered a hotel that was just too dirty for me to stay at. Fortunately, the hotel was understanding and made no fuss about cancelling the reservation. However, just this weekend some visitors of mine booked a local hotel and had an experience that is way below their standards.

They are budget travelers and hotels are pretty full in Cleveland this weekend. They are staying at the HoJo at CLE (which has pretty awful consumer reviews). Upon check in they were greeted by a sign on the counter saying "No Refunds". The public areas were filthy, partly due to age and partly due to being under construction. They got an extra tour of the hallways when the first key they got at check-in would not open the hotel door. The clerk moved them to a different room. When they opened the door they discovered it was not yet made up.

They were discouraged when they returned to the counter. The asked to cancel their reservation so they could go find another hotel. The clerk at the counter was highly apologetic. My friends say she looked ready to cry. They were offered the hotel's "best room", a king which they said was recently refurbished.

Admitedly, this room was much better than the first and at a glance they thought it would be ok. They accepted the new room and spent the night. However, as sometimes happens, they noticed more things after having time to unpack and look around. The room is still dirty: "[fecal matter] on bathroom wall, mold on AC, mirror falling off wall". They can see the pool from their window which is murky and dark algae in color with significant shadows. Overall, I don't think this the hotel they were expecting when they made their booking.

Yes, the hotel is trying to work with them, but sometimes trying hard just isn't enough. What if they wanted to walk away? What are their rights in this situation? Does the hotel have an obligation to inform you that they are under construction? Can you leave because the WiFi doesn't work?

Finally, they made the booking by phone. They were surprised that their room did not include a fridge. Since they booked by phone there's no reservation page that listed the amenities they should expect. Do you guys often book by phone? If so, do you have tips for making sure you know what you're going to get?

Many thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alwayssummer
TLDR: What to do when the property is just too dirty to stay and they don't want to let you cancel the reservation once you've seen your room?
  • Also: Can you leave because the WiFi doesn't work?
  • Also: Does the hotel have an obligation to inform you that they are under construction?
  • Also: Tips for booking by phone?
/TLDR

I've once encountered a hotel that was just too dirty for me to stay at. Fortunately, the hotel was understanding and made no fuss about cancelling the reservation. However, just this weekend some visitors of mine booked a local hotel and had an experience that is way below their standards.

They are budget travelers and hotels are pretty full in Cleveland this weekend. They are staying at the HoJo at CLE (which has pretty awful consumer reviews). Upon check in they were greeted by a sign on the counter saying "No Refunds". The public areas were filthy, partly due to age and partly due to being under construction. They got an extra tour of the hallways when the first key they got at check-in would not open the hotel door. The clerk moved them to a different room. When they opened the door they discovered it was not yet made up.

They were discouraged when they returned to the counter. The asked to cancel their reservation so they could go find another hotel. The clerk at the counter was highly apologetic. My friends say she looked ready to cry. They were offered the hotel's "best room", a king which they said was recently refurbished.

Admittedly, this room was much better than the first and at a glance they thought it would be ok. They accepted the new room and spent the night. However, as sometimes happens, they noticed more things after having time to unpack and look around. The room is still dirty: "[fecal matter] on bathroom wall, mold on AC, mirror falling off wall". They can see the pool from their window which is murky and dark algae in color with significant shadows. Overall, I don't think this the hotel they were expecting when they made their booking.

Yes, the hotel is trying to work with them, but sometimes trying hard just isn't enough. What if they wanted to walk away? What are their rights in this situation? Does the hotel have an obligation to inform you that they are under construction? Can you leave because the WiFi doesn't work?

Finally, they made the booking by phone. They were surprised that their room did not include a fridge. Since they booked by phone there's no reservation page that listed the amenities they should expect. Do you guys often book by phone? If so, do you have tips for making sure you know what you're going to get?
You already answered that yourself. The reviews were bad, but did they check the reviews before booking? That sounds like the most important step they missed. Booking a hotel with good reviews by phone is one thing, booking a hotel with bad reviews by any method is quite another thing.

But in any case, don't make any assumptions! If you need a fridge, ask if the room has a fridge. (Some hotels only have a fridge in some rooms, some hotels only have a microwave in some rooms, etc, etc.)

But therein's the issue. Once you stop making assumptions, and have to all those questions, then booking by phone can be much more work that just reviewing the list of features in a particular room online. Booking by phone is less work only if you do it wrong (or if you don't care what you get), at least assuming you're near a computer when you're booking by phone. (The main reason I would see for booking by phone is a passenger in a moving car needing to book a hotel on the road, and either not able or not willing to use a mobile site to book, given that mobile sites or apps on a small phone can be much more clunky than websites on computers. But this doesn't seem to be the situation these people should have been in.)

Anyway, I rarely book by phone, simply because for me it's more complicated. I'm used to using all the hotel program websites, have accounts at all of them, and it's complex to link phone reservations to my account, while if I'm logged in all my online reservations are automatically linked to my account. And I never want to stay at a chain hotel without earning either points or miles (unless I'm redeeming points, of course), and all that's way easier to do online than on the phone.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club, Marriott Rewards
I only book online. I see no point in booking by phone. Honestly, if im your friend, I go to the hotel with complaint and then corporate to see if I can get my money back or a portion of it.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I'm always surprised by those that book the cheapest option and get upset when it is not Hilton quality.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
I'm always surprised by those that book the cheapest option and get upset when it is not Hilton quality.
I'm a big fan of the Choice program, so I'm not expecting much from those stays - much like lower end Wyndham properties. I still don't think that clean and safe is too much to ask of any property. If your expectations are incredibly low and they still aren't met, there should be some recourse.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Or not even DoubleTree quality.

(The DoubleTree brand, in the Hilton family, is too often the dumping ground for conversions from other brands.)
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by alwayssummer
TLDR: What to do when the property is just too dirty to stay and they don't want to let you cancel the reservation once you've seen your room?[LIST][*]Also: Can you leave because the WiFi doesn't work?[*]Also: Does the hotel have an obligation to inform you that they are under construction?
I raised a similar question over three years ago after I tried (and failed!) to check into a Wyndham property that was having an electrical outage.

My basic answer: document the problem. Then ask if the hotel will help you find a more suitable accommodation, and if they decline or delay (as happened to me), you should immediately act on your own and work out the financial bits after the fact. Don't let their dithering keep you from a good night's sleep.

Wifi outage is generally a show-stopper for me. I don't think I've left a property the first night because of that, but I have moved hotels for the remaining nights of a multi-night stay.

Lastly, notice of disruptive construction is (ethically, if not legally) mandatory. If they were to say "it won't be disruptive", but it turns out to be, I'd expect the night to be comped in full, and then I'd relocate for the rest of the stay.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:10 pm

It is certainly disappointing what has become of some of the Wyndham brands over the last two decades. When Prime Motor Inns ran HoJo's, the franchise was a shining star. Now, I would never stay in a HoJo's regardless of rating.

It's unfortunate that your friends are in a difficult situation, but the reviews are out there. I guess another question is why the HoJo's QA Inspectors passed the property. Do they no longer have any standards at all?

In terms of wifi, I just returned from three weeks in Africa, and wifi was hit or miss even at higher end properties. While disappointing and inconvenient, sometimes there is not much that can be done. I've never checked out of a hotel because of it, but that's just me. Everyone has their own standards and expectations.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
If you book a non-refundable rate, I don't think you have much recourse if they refuse to give you a refund. Although several hotel chains do allow refundable rates to be cancelled right up until 4pm or even 6pm on the arrival date, so if you get there and get a bad vibe from the lobby or neighborhood, cancel instead of checking in.

If it is a chain hotel, I would take lots of photos and contact the chain's customer service department. Politely explain the situation, state that this location is clearly not living up to chain standards, and request a refund. I wouldn't outright threaten to leave a bad online review (complete with photos) but it could be politely implied. To avoid this situation in the future, always read reviews first.

As for booking by phone, I know that some people prefer this, including many seniors who aren't comfortable with online transactions, but you just don't know what you are getting. Even if you are told one thing, you have no record of the conversation. With on-line booking, you know exactly what is included (fridge? microwave? coffee maker? breakfast? free wi-fi? free parking?) and can print out your confirmation in case anything isn't as promised. Plus, websites are almost always updated with a note if the hotel is under construction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.