HUGE NYC Redemption Devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:40 am

The best thing is transfer to airline miles...not for the hotel stay
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:22 am
Company Representative - Wyndham Rewards

Programs: Wyndham Rewards
Hi,
We appreciate your feedback. There were changes made to the Free Night Tier level for locations in NYC. We wanted to let you know that we have adjusted the point level for the Wingate by Wyndham Midtown on 35th St in NYC from 45,000 points to 35,000 points. The other locations’ point levels will remain as is. We take your feedback seriously and will do a better job at communicating changes in the future. In the meantime, if you could send me a private message with your member # and details about the free night you were trying to book, I can take a look at your account for you.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
10 days later is a bit ridiculous if you guys are going to have reps on here. So, you're saying the only tier level change was for NYC? Is that really the only change?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:08 pm
Company Representative - Wyndham Rewards

Programs: Wyndham Rewards
Originally Posted by mrredskin
10 days later is a bit ridiculous if you guys are going to have reps on here. So, you're saying the only tier level change was for NYC? Is that really the only change?
Hello,
Sorry for the delayed initial response. Yes, the recent changes to the Free Night Tier levels were for a few properties in NYC. As noted in my colleague's reply, we will be sure to communicate changes in the future. Thank you so much for your feedback.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:57 am

Loyalty points are supposed to be rewarding, as a thank you for staying with Wyndham. This moves shows us that Wyndham is less appreciative of their regular customers than what they initially set out to do. Wyndham sold hotel nights based on initial reward expectation, only now that they got the money, they pull their promises and go back on their words. Changes are fine (5-10% increase or so each year), but 150% change at any one time is absolutely insane and unacceptable. Mozambique's currency inflation a few years ago comes to mind.

I probably won't be staying at Wyndham again in the future, and I bet I'm not gonna be the only one.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: PC Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Club Carlson Gold
Almost all programs of major hotel chains (IHG, SPG, Hyatt) gave us an advance notice about redemption changes and allowed us to book at the "old" rate for 60 days.

Wyndham had done it abruptly and I see no goodwill on their end to let us book at the old rate for 60 days.
What a shame this is...

RM
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rumeli
Almost all programs of major hotel chains (IHG, SPG, Hyatt) gave us an advance notice about redemption changes and allowed us to book at the "old" rate for 60 days.
Another person comparing this budget-to-midscale program (WR) only to "major" hotel programs that don't have a single budget brand and barely touch the midscale space even.

IMHO WyndhamRewards primarily competes with Choice and Best Western, not with SPG or Hyatt! What does SPG or Hyatt have to compare with Super 8, TravelLodge, Days Inn, etc?????

And neither Choice nor Best Western necessarily give advance notice for all redemption changes. Choice does have a calendar for a couple quarters ahead, but sometimes that calendar changes, and when they have redemption sales, both the start and end of the sale are unannounced (FTers only know about them if they stumble on them or read about other FTers who stumbled on them). I've never heard of advance notice (or any notice) of a Best Western redemption amount change at all, I've just seen some hotels change here or there now and then.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: PC Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Another person comparing this budget-to-midscale program (WR) only to "major" hotel programs that don't have a single budget brand and barely touch the midscale space even.

IMHO WyndhamRewards primarily competes with Choice and Best Western, not with SPG or Hyatt!
While I agree that Wyndham does not compete with Hyatt and SPG, as somebody who has been in hotel industry for 20+ years, I think that "service" businesses should have some "base" standards and advance notice should be one of them.

Obviously, BW, Choice and Wyndham do not want to play it by the "service" book and they can get away with it because customers/guests let them do that.

RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.