Easy activity to keep account active every 18 months?

Subscribe
I have a BUNCH of Wyndham Rewards points that will expire in 6 months if I don't keep them active by having some sort of activity in my account.

Unfortunately, I won't have an opportunity to stay in a hotel in the next 6 months to earn some points from a stay to keep them active. What is the easiest way to get some activity on my account to keep my points active and prevent them from expiring.

I fully anticipate some Wyndham stays next Jan./Feb, but that won't do me any good since I need some activity sooner. Could I just book and cancel a reward stay? Any other ideas?
Join topguest.com, check in via foursquare at a Wingate Inn to earn 50 Wyndham Rewards points.
Quote: I have a BUNCH of Wyndham Rewards points that will expire in 6 months if I don't keep them active by having some sort of activity in my account.
I don't think activity will keep them alive:

"Wyndham Rewards points expire four (4) years after being posted to the Member’s account, unless forfeited or cancelled earlier due to membership inactivity or otherwise in accordance with these Terms and Conditions."
I know they still expire in 4 years. I'm just trying to keep them active so they don't expire do to inactivity because my account hasn't had any new points accrual in the past year or so and points also expire with 18 months of activity.
Hi all,
A side question about points expiring. . the last time I accrued points was around May 2010. I did redeem some points this past January but may not have any more activity until the end of the year. My question is whether redeeming points counts as account activity of just accruals.

Thanks,
Quote: Hi all,
A side question about points expiring. . the last time I accrued points was around May 2010. I did redeem some points this past January but may not have any more activity until the end of the year. My question is whether redeeming points counts as account activity of just accruals.

Thanks,

Redeeming points does count towards activity - here is an excerpt from the rules so you have it..
A Member’s Wyndham Rewards account can be terminated and all accrued points cancelled or forfeited if the Member has no account activity for a period of 18 consecutive months. Account activity is defined as the earning or redemption of Wyndham Rewards points. In addition, the earning of airline miles or rail points through Wyndham Rewards and the redemption of Wyndham Rewards points for airlines miles/tickets, rail points, gift card redemption, event tickets and merchandise is included in the definition of activity
Quote: I have a BUNCH of Wyndham Rewards points that will expire in 6 months if I don't keep them active by having some sort of activity in my account.

Unfortunately, I won't have an opportunity to stay in a hotel in the next 6 months to earn some points from a stay to keep them active. What is the easiest way to get some activity on my account to keep my points active and prevent them from expiring.

I fully anticipate some Wyndham stays next Jan./Feb, but that won't do me any good since I need some activity sooner. Could I just book and cancel a reward stay? Any other ideas?
As was already mentioned, you can take advantage of TopGuest...or, if you have an occassion, you can purchase flowers from FTD...or, one of the easiest ways is by using the Wyndham Rewards credit card. And, you can also redeem your points - if you take a look at the merchandise offerings, there are some lower point levels for you to take advantage of. Or, restaurant.com certificates are redeemable for 2200 points. I've personally used those before & it's a nice way to cut down the cost of dining out.
Would this then count as activity: I have some miles that I want to use December of 2012 (I know I am nuts for planning what to do with miles that far out) - I know you can't book that yet, but once that is bookable does the actual booking count as activity? I will be able to book within the 18 months of no activity window, but the actual redemption will likely be just over that window. Is there a chance that points that are being utilized for an active reservation can disappear (and thus the reservation presumably cancelled) since the actual date I will check-in to the hotel and use them will be more than 18 months from when they are earned (assuming no additional activity between now and then).

Hope that isn't too confusing, just wondering what I need to plan for. Thanks!
Thanks for the 4 year reminder... I think I have some that are close to expiring, so I guess I need to start looking at redeeming them.
Some great suggestions. . .thanks everybody!
WyndhamRewards has TWO kinds of expirations!!!
WyndhamRewards has two kinds of expirations:
  • 18 months after no activity (easy to reset with activity, as described above)
  • 4 years (not possible to reset at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Yes, even if you keep doing activity, while you can keep your points 2 or 3 years, 4 years after they're earned they go poof, with no way around it (except to transfer them somewhere at the last minute, if you realize it's coming up).

(It's 4 years from the tme you earned your oldest points that your oldest points will evaporate. Your newer points won't evaporate then, each point evaporates 4 years after it's earned, independently.)

(I'm mentioning this in this thread now because this thread was just linked in reponse to a question in MilesBuzz! The the thread over there is Closed already.)
Keep in mind, guys, what sdsearch pointed out: After four years will everything expire. This is very untypical for a US program
Quote: Keep in mind, guys, what sdsearch pointed out: After four years will everything expire. This is very untypical for a US program
Choice Privileges is similar, with points expiring at end of second calendar year after the year in which the points are earned regardless of subsequent stay activity.
Quote: Choice Privileges is similar, with points expiring at end of second calendar year after the year in which the points are earned regardless of subsequent stay activity.
Program would be much more valuable if this didn't happen....would generate more loyalty for sure...
Quote: Program would be much more valuable if this didn't happen....would generate more loyalty for sure...
Or, perhaps the current scheme generates more usage of the points in a timely manner so they don't remain a liability on the books. I bet the accountants and the auditors like that approach much better.