Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Days Inn Maui Oceanfront Inn in Kinei, HI

Old May 4, 2011, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, PC Platinum

Has anyone had experience staying at this Days Inn in Maui? They are much cheaper than the other hotels in Maui and are running a special right now..

http://www.mauioceanfrontinn.com/index.php

I'm trying to cut down on my hotel expenses over there, so this is a little tempting... Please share any experience you may have. Thanks!!
Old May 6, 2011, 7:14 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
whats the special

i'm thinkking of going in late june
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
If I used the 15,000 points/night on this property, is it a waste? Compared to say something nicer on the Big Island or in Kauai.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msp3
If I used the 15,000 points/night on this property, is it a waste? Compared to say something nicer on the Big Island or in Kauai.
I can't compare it to anything on another island, since Maui is the only Hawaiian island I've been on. But the Days Inn is the cheapest property you can get on points (as well as the cheapest points-earning property) on the whole of Maui island, so if you want to be on Maui, and you need a night on that part of the island but you want to pay as little as possible (and either earn or use points), that property might work for you. (It did for me, because it was a better value than other available properties on that side of Maui.)

Btw, back when I stayed there (initially booked for 1 night, added another night at the last minute) in Jan 2014 (under the old WR program with different hotels priced differently), it was 16,000 points/night.

It wasn't a resort, but then I didn't have to pay resort fees on top of lots of points (like I did for my one night at a Hilton resort). It was nice enough base if you want to do is explore that part of the island. If all you want to do is stay at the hotel, and not explore the island, it's not that kind of hotel IMHO (but then, I wouldn't expect any Days Inn to be that kind of hotel!).

One thing to be aware of: Apparently there's a law on Maui (don't know if it applies to any other islands or not) that no hotel is allowed to give all guests free hot breakfast. So brands like Days Inn and Best Western that give a free breakfast of some sort on the mainland instead have paid restaurants onsite on Maui. (The only way to get a free hot breakfast at a hotel in Maui is if it's a hotel which gives free breakfast only to those with high enough status, and you have high enough status in that hotel program.)

Since you are a Marriott member, I'll mention that I much preferred the Courtyard in Kahalui, but in part that was because it was in Kahalui, with way better choices of restaurants around there than in the more resort-y location that the Days Inn is it, plus it was closer to the things I wanted to do the most on the island like Road to Hana, the Iao Needle, and the Haleakala road up the mountain (I went for the chilly sunsets instead of the freezing sunrises ). Unfortunately, the Courtyard keeps moving up the category ladder each year, so it's no longer works with cat 1-5 certs like it did when I stayed there in early 2014.

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 7, 2015 at 4:04 pm
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I can't compare it to anything on another island, since Maui is the only Hawaiian island I've been on. But the Days Inn is the cheapest property you can get on points (as well as the cheapest points-earning property) on the whole of Maui island, so if you want to be on Maui, and you need a night on that part of the island but you want to pay as little as possible (and either earn or use points), that property might work for you. (It did for me, because it was a better value than other available properties on that side of Maui.)

Btw, back when I stayed there (initially booked for 1 night, added another night at the last minute) in Jan 2014 (under the old WR program with different hotels priced differently), it was 16,000 points/night.

It wasn't a resort, but then I didn't have to pay resort fees on top of lots of points (like I did for my one night at a Hilton resort). It was nice enough base if you want to do is explore that part of the island. If all you want to do is stay at the hotel, and not explore the island, it's not that kind of hotel IMHO (but then, I wouldn't expect any Days Inn to be that kind of hotel!).

One thing to be aware of: Apparently there's a law on Maui (don't know if it applies to any other islands or not) that no hotel is allowed to give all guests free hot breakfast. So brands like Days Inn and Best Western that give a free breakfast of some sort on the mainland instead have paid restaurants onsite on Maui. (The only way to get a free hot breakfast at a hotel in Maui is if it's a hotel which gives free breakfast only to those with high enough status, and you have high enough status in that hotel program.)

Since you are a Marriott member, I'll mention that I much preferred the Courtyard in Kahalui, but in part that was because it was in Kahalui, with way better choices of restaurants around there than in the more resort-y location that the Days Inn is it, plus it was closer to the things I wanted to do the most on the island like Road to Hana, the Iao Needle, and the Haleakala road up the mountain (I went for the chilly sunsets instead of the freezing sunrises ). Unfortunately, the Courtyard keeps moving up the category ladder each year, so it's no longer works with cat 1-5 certs like it did when I stayed there in early 2014.
The thing is since all Wyndham properties are now 15,000/night, it feels like it's not as good of a deal as going to what was previously an more expensive property elsewhere. Too bad about the breakfast, reminds me of a Days Inn in Guam I stayed in once that was like that.

Speaking of the Courtyard in Kahalui, actually stayed twice and like it a lot. It's not just that Courtyard, but all of them in the islands are now cat 7 and its outrageous on points. I'm actually looking forward to trying the upcoming Residence Inn in Wailea opening next year myself, can only imagine what category that would be by then
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I've stayed at this place, and really like it as a relatively inexpensive place on Maui. It has a really pleasant beach, and some nice restaurants nearby. The rooms are small, but comfortable.

Be aware there is no pool at this hotel.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:38 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

I believe you mean Kihei
Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Silver, BA, AA, FlyingBlue, IberiaPlus,Wyndham Rewards
I've stayed here for a week with the wife. I really enjoyed it. My primary concerns on a Hawaiian vacation are: proximity to a nice beach, clean and functional room, and price. This one checks all the boxes. Keawakapu beach is truly gorgeous. The rooms are certainly small, but the bed was very comfortable (it was memory foam). I'd head back in a heartbeat. No pool, but no matter when such a beautiful and optimal swimming beach is steps away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.