Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

How do you pack your bras when you travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you pack your bras when you travel?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Well, now that I am older, the whole bra thing is both more and less important to me. When I was younger, I was very much into underwires and padding and shelf bras and all sorts of contraptions to push those puppies up and keep them looking preternaturally perky. These days, I am looking for comfort and elegance, so I am more than happy to stick my oh so average Cs into unpadded no-wire triangle bras and bralettes. This makes packing a breeze: fold and into the lingerie bag they go! They take up no space at all (the bras, that is -- I will leave the editorializing on my boobs to my husband ) . With age comes privilege after all . . .
Old Jan 26, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Underwire bras, reverse each one back and forth, and packed in a packing cube.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by try2cook

I want to second 8dimsum's Forever New recommendation. That stuff not only cleans bras thoroughly and gently, it works on silk, cashmere, and other sink washables. It comes in travel packets. I love the Soak travel packets, too, but they're heavier because they're liquid.
Travel packets for delicates. I've been looking for these! I'm guessing it's a powder of some kind? Glad I found this thread.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by AStarr
Travel packets for delicates. I've been looking for these! I'm guessing it's a powder of some kind? Glad I found this thread.
Yes, Forever New comes in powder form. The same company makes delicates cleaner in liquid form, but it's not as effective. A now-defunct bra blog did a comparison of detergents for delicates. The blogger applied various staining products, including mustard, onto white stockings. Mustard is the worst to get out of clothes. The very best performer was Forever New.

I get travel Forever New packets at a local travel store called Going in Style in Palo Alto, California. I like to support this small, woman-owned business. Unfortunately their website doesn't list it. However, I believe you can order the travel packets from Amazon, too.

You can get the 4 oz. bottles and 32 oz. bottles of Forever New from barenecessities.com, neimanmarcus.com, and other retailers.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Saw this on Amazon...looks pretty good from the reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/Cup-Case-Trav..._encoding=UTF8
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by OzBarb
I think this may be the poster's personal opinion - just like mine, which is that it is the best technique for storing, packing or washing my bras. However, the last thing I need is lots of potentially flattenable padding, so the only bras I own that may be considered "augmented" are a couple of the "T-shirt" type, and they're fine after up to a year of having one cup fitted inside the other when they aren't on me. And all mine have underwires...

I have a nifty mesh pouch with a circular base and mounded top, about the same size as my bra cup. The bras survive fine in the washing machine on a normal wash inside it. Best purchase ever - I used to handwash them, which was a pain.
I think this may be the poster's personal opinion - just like mine, which is that it is the best technique for storing, packing or washing my bras. However, the last thing I need is lots of potentially flattenable padding, so the only bras I own that may be considered "augmented" are a couple of the "T-shirt" type, and they're fine after up to a year of having one cup fitted inside the other when they aren't on me. And all mine have underwires...

I have a nifty mesh pouch with a circular base and mounded top, about the same size as my bra cup. The bras survive fine in the washing machine on a normal wash inside it. Best purchase ever - I used to handwash them, which was a pain.
I realize this is from forever ago, but I can't abide a "difference of opinion" cop-out when there's actually evidence for one over the other. To wit: an article titled "How to Store Bras the Right Way" on LiveAbout (I'm not allowed to post URLs as a new member).

And that's not the only source I found proclaiming the "twist and fold/cup-in-cup" to be bad practice and demonstrably harmful to your bras - regardless if they're "augmented" or not (which, by the way, was not subtle at all). Anything with underwire or molded cups (ya know, most of them), etc. is susceptible to warping/stretching and especially underwire mishap if you choose to store/pack them in the manner you described. And that may very well not matter to some folks, I myself neglect to follow best practices for washing/dryer and storing my bras out of pure laziness - and they pay the price (and by extension, so do my boobs) when the cups of my "augmented" (or as non-judgmental people call them, "push-up") bras start looking like something out a Salvador Dali painting. So while it is very much our choice as to how we store/pack or wash/dry our own bras, it is not accurate to say the inadvisability of this particular method is a simple matter of opinion. Now of course individual experiences will differ - one woman's non-GMO t-shirt bra is another woman's unwieldy-breast prison. It stands to reason then, that some women might not experience any bra-quences from storing them as you recommend - but that doesn't make the negative effects inherent to its use any less true or bad. And really, the obvious nature of any recommendation against "twisting", "folding" and "cup-inverting" one's bras, kind of makes this assertion that there's nothing but opinion at work here come across as either defensive or simply disingenuous - either way, no one is saying you can't mistreat your bras (I do it all the time) - but don't try to defend it with anecdotal evidence from your uncomplicated collection of free-range bras. In the face of competing information where you can confirm its validity, you either internalize it and make different choices going forward - or you can ignore validity altogether and instead just own your choice. But you forfeit your ability to rule on opinion vs fact when you don't even bother to find out whether it is in the first place.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Action Gabby
I realize this is from forever ago, but I can't abide a "difference of opinion" cop-out when there's actually evidence for one over the other. To wit: an article titled "How to Store Bras the Right Way" on LiveAbout (I'm not allowed to post URLs as a new member).

And that's not the only source I found proclaiming the "twist and fold/cup-in-cup" to be bad practice and demonstrably harmful to your bras - regardless if they're "augmented" or not (which, by the way, was not subtle at all). Anything with underwire or molded cups (ya know, most of them), etc. is susceptible to warping/stretching and especially underwire mishap if you choose to store/pack them in the manner you described. And that may very well not matter to some folks, I myself neglect to follow best practices for washing/dryer and storing my bras out of pure laziness - and they pay the price (and by extension, so do my boobs) when the cups of my "augmented" (or as non-judgmental people call them, "push-up") bras start looking like something out a Salvador Dali painting. So while it is very much our choice as to how we store/pack or wash/dry our own bras, it is not accurate to say the inadvisability of this particular method is a simple matter of opinion. Now of course individual experiences will differ - one woman's non-GMO t-shirt bra is another woman's unwieldy-breast prison. It stands to reason then, that some women might not experience any bra-quences from storing them as you recommend - but that doesn't make the negative effects inherent to its use any less true or bad. And really, the obvious nature of any recommendation against "twisting", "folding" and "cup-inverting" one's bras, kind of makes this assertion that there's nothing but opinion at work here come across as either defensive or simply disingenuous - either way, no one is saying you can't mistreat your bras (I do it all the time) - but don't try to defend it with anecdotal evidence from your uncomplicated collection of free-range bras. In the face of competing information where you can confirm its validity, you either internalize it and make different choices going forward - or you can ignore validity altogether and instead just own your choice. But you forfeit your ability to rule on opinion vs fact when you don't even bother to find out whether it is in the first place.
What an interesting first post.

However there's a major flaw in your logic. You disparage "opinion" in your post, but why should we regard the article you refer to as anything but some unknown person's opinion? There is no widely recognized world expert on bra storage, no university offering credentials, but there is a wide variety of opinions and yours, and that author, are just two more opinions in a sea of them.
ysolde likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:35 am
Suspended

I put it between the clothes in suitcase
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

I store mine folded, with one cup tucked inside the other. That's also how many of them are washed, as we have something similar to the mesh pouch with a circular base and mounded top.
Originally Posted by prncess674
It isn't an opinion, almost all lingerie designers would tell you that turning a cup inside out stretches the fabric in the wrong direction. Think about a padded bra or a lined bra. Think about a two sided cup, the inner layer is smaller than the outer layer and if you invert it and stretch it inside out you are ruining the fabric and shape. At $50 to $100 per bra I am not going to stretch them out of shape. Also if a bra has seams you are turning one of those seams inside out and stretching it in a way it was never meant to be stretched. Perhaps if you wear a no wire, single fabric, no seam fabric bra it doesn't make a difference, but a well constructed bra will suffer under stretching it the wrong way.

The other thing to take into consideration is cup size. As some who is sporting a DD, turning out a DD is more significant than turning out an A.
I wear a multiple fabric, seamed, underwire bra and have not had issues with them, even though I store them with one cup tucked inside the other. That said, if I spend more than $50 on a matching set, it's rare.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I guess if I wore expensive bras I'd care more, but I don't. I've tried all the expensive brands i can find locally, but a $20 (on sale) Bali is my favorite, so....

I've read some lingerie blogs that there are some gorgeous bras made in Poland for the well-endowed, but not having traveled there or knowing where I could find some to try on in the us , I don't want to risk mail order. Ah well.
Polish bras are the best! Especially if you're wearing a fuller bust bra.

If you live in North America, Forever Yours Lingerie (CA) has some great ones, or Miseczki if you're in the US. In any case Poland is a beautiful country and definitely worth the trip if you have an opportunity to make it over there!
Old Apr 8, 2023, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I just shove it in my suitcase without any special care. I always take one in my carryon bag too. With bigger boobs it is too difficult to find another one with perfect fit if my checked suitcase goes missing!
gretchendz likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 6:23 am

I used to fold one cup into the other, but found that it made my bras lose shape really quickly. I now stack the bras on behind each other. I put a packing cube (small ones) specifically for bras/panties/ I like the ones that are more square shaped, as it has enough space to put the bra standing up and doesn't compress it so it won't lose shape.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 11:29 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by magdasolow90
Polish bras are the best! Especially if you're wearing a fuller bust bra.

If you live in North America, Forever Yours Lingerie (CA) has some great ones, or Miseczki if you're in the US. In any case Poland is a beautiful country and definitely worth the trip if you have an opportunity to make it over there!
I had a bra fit in Poland last year after reading a NYTimes story about their bras and fit techniques. It was quite worthwhile and I learned a lot about where the support actually comes from (the band so it must be tight).
i travel with one of the two I bought, but the strapless one is padded and well formed so I haven’t ever packed it because it takes too much room and I don’t want to crush it. If I was doing that over, I would have not gotten the same type. Most of my cups are thin and crushable.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by l etoile
i travel with one of the two I bought, but the strapless one is padded and well formed so I haven’t ever packed it because it takes too much room and I don’t want to crush it. If I was doing that over, I would have not gotten the same type. Most of my cups are thin and crushable.
I put rolled up socks inside the cups to prevent them from getting crushed. Mind you, the bras aren't that elaborate or expensive, so the socks seem adequate to maintain their shape in the suitcase.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 2:10 am

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I just shove it in my suitcase without any special care. I always take one in my carryon bag too. With bigger boobs it is too difficult to find another one with perfect fit if my checked suitcase goes missing!
Yeah, I just nest them together and rest them on top of clothes. Works fine.
obscure2k likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.