FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Women Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers-166/)
-   -   Best natural deodorant? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers/965587-best-natural-deodorant.html)

CApreppie Jun 16, 2009 11:29 pm

Best natural deodorant?

Another deodorant thread, this time on natural deodorants.

I have only used Tom's of Maine Natural unscented regular. I think I might try a scented one next time since they don't seem to the most potent deodorants. They also have a long-lasting and roll-on line.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for Tom's or other brands?

Thanks!

ttjoseph Jun 16, 2009 11:42 pm

So, I'm not a woman but I saw this post through the magic of "New Posts" and felt compelled to mention the old-school alum block, quite effective when made wet under the faucet and used immediately after showering. They have no scent and last a long time. I believe they are available under various brand names.

tfar Jun 17, 2009 12:30 am

See here, posts 29 and 32:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women...ng-work-2.html

Till

CApreppie Jun 17, 2009 1:30 am

Thanks for pointing me towards the crystal deodorants. I have seen them before, but was never sure if they worked or not. You see crystal and you start thinking new agey. :)

There seems to be a company called Crystal that makes products that get great reviews on Amazon and Drugstore.com. Will have to explore.

b1513 Jun 17, 2009 5:10 pm

I'm not sure if you would call it *natural*, but Clinique has a super deodorant. It really works well. I use the unscented....no allergic reactions.

Bobette

MikeFromTokyo Jun 18, 2009 6:26 am

Dr. Hauschka products are natural and very good.

In America they are available at Whole Foods stores and many other places, I`m sure you`ve heard of them. You can`t find products more natural/ healthy, and the scents are nice.

http://www.drhauschka.com/natural-sk...eodorants.aspx

flyingsaucer Jun 18, 2009 7:00 am

Just ordinary bicarbonate of soda, costs pence (cents!), works well but is
visible on the skin.

Linda VH Jun 18, 2009 7:08 am

Thank you for amusing me today. I am allergic to most deodorants so I have been using Crystal 25 or so years. I guess it does sound "new agey" but it isnt. The only thing about it that is "new agey" is that it now comes in a roll-on. When I first started using Crystal it came in a lump with a little bag. You wet it and rubbed it under your arms. Until you got it relatively smooth you had to do it gingerly, then let it dry a little and put it back in the bag. I had a cat who absolutely adored it - I walked into the bathroom and there he was licking it like crazy. I had wondered why it was a little "knobby" :eek:

CApreppie Jun 18, 2009 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Linda VH (Post 11928013)
Thank you for amusing me today. I am allergic to most deodorants so I have been using Crystal 25 or so years. I guess it does sound "new agey" but it isnt. The only thing about it that is "new agey" is that it now comes in a roll-on. When I first started using Crystal it came in a lump with a little bag. You wet it and rubbed it under your arms. Until you got it relatively smooth you had to do it gingerly, then let it dry a little and put it back in the bag. I had a cat who absolutely adored it - I walked into the bathroom and there he was licking it like crazy. I had wondered why it was a little "knobby" :eek:

Ewwww. :)

Have you tried the newer roll-on? Does it work just as well?

Owlchick Jun 18, 2009 12:46 pm

LLM uses crystal deodorants and accidentally broke one so she shared a chunk with me.

Worked well, but I returned to unnatural deodorants later :D

tfar Jun 18, 2009 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by CApreppie (Post 11929818)
Ewwww. :)

Have you tried the newer roll-on? Does it work just as well?

The roll-on is not really a ROLL-on in that it has no ball that rolls through liquid. It is more of a stick with a round, smooth top. This way you don't have the rough rock effect Linda mentions. The substance is exactly the same, so it works just as well. It's like square soap and round soap.

That said, there are now liquid roll-ons on Alum basis. Why you'd want that is beyond me. They might work the same but they are liquid (not good for travel) and they won't last as long.

Here is one that looks natural:
http://www.mothernature.com/shop/det...55039/S/122119

Till

Linda VH Jun 18, 2009 5:12 pm

Yes it is a roll-on!!!! I buy it on-line so I don't need to hunt for it and have one packed at all times. My current one is Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crysal Roll-On (liquid with the ball just like regular roll-ons). I just pulled mine out and it is made by TCCD International - made in Pompano Beach, FL. I googled crystal roll-ons to find it originally and ordered about a dozen at a time. I didn't buy it from their website (can't remember where - I'm in Aruba right now so have no paperwork) but their website is www.tccd.com according to the back of the bottle.

mareh Jun 19, 2009 10:29 am

I also use the liquid Crystal roll on. I usually spritz a little Weleda citrus deodorant on over it, which is also a natural product. My husband uses the solid crystal, and it works very well.

Emeraldcity Jun 19, 2009 3:20 pm

I use Tom's or Crystal roll on. Both work equally well providing I am not doing anything that is causing me a heavy sweat. (Like a tennis game or something) Then I have to use a REAL deoderant, but I suffer for it as I react to the aluminum in deoderants now that I am older.

CApreppie Jun 19, 2009 4:19 pm

Thanks everyone so far for their thoughts. :) I appreciate finding out that the Crystal roll-on is not really a roll-on in the traditional sense. I think I'm going to try it.

I'd try the liquid alum ones, but I see that they use the lovely parabens and the point for me was to try to get as natural as possible.