Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Sign in using an external account

Old Jun 1, 09, 3:41 pm   #1

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
Aveda Institute

About a week ago, I was in San Francisco and stumbled upon the Cinta Aveda Institute. Until then, I had never heard of Aveda Institutes, where supervised students receive hands-on experience on clients. Although a bit nervous, I was going to opt for the full highlights for $58 with a gamma experienced student. However, they were all booked. To my surprise, it was quite busy with clients. I spoke to a woman and she was quite happy with the results of her haircut. I think haircuts were $14, $16, $20, depending on experience of student.

Has anyone tried an Aveda Institute?
BaliParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 09, 3:52 pm   #2

Programs: CO 1K (or whatever it will be called), HH Gold
My son uses one (in Ohio) all the time. He's pretty happy with the results.
manneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 09, 4:02 pm   #3

Programs: NWAgold
In general, I like them very much and have had my hair cut a few times at a local Aveda institute. I would caution that the time required to have a service performed may negate the financial savings. At a regular salon, I can be in and out in ~40 minutes. At an Aveda institute, it's more like 1.5+ hours once you factor in the meticulous job that the student does, followed by an instructor evaluation, followed by corrections and another instructor evaluation and then a full blowdry and styling.
chococat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 09, 9:58 am   #4

Thank you for the responses. I was aware of the time involved and in a way I find the instructor evaluation appealing. The results of my last high/low lights weren't that great, they were ok. Certainly, not worth the over $200 I spent on them. There is an Aveda Institute in my area, so I think I will give it a try.
Old Jun 2, 09, 6:48 pm   #5
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I went to the Aveda Istitute website and it seems geared for prospective students only. I'd like to go to one of the locales in NYC for a discounted massage and facial. Do they do that or is the institute only for haircare?
Old Jun 2, 09, 6:59 pm   #6
Moderator Communications Coordinator
2014 Secret Santa

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
you have to go to the individual locations website...

http://avedainstituteny.com/guest_information.html this one seems to offer both types of services.

http://www.carsteninstitute.com/institutes.html this one doesn't advertise services, but its probably worth a call.
missydarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 09, 7:02 pm   #7
Moderator Communications Coordinator
2014 Secret Santa

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
here's a Seattle one... and its right across the street from Quinns Pub... one of my fav eateries.

http://gmaveda.com/feemenu.html
missydarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 09, 8:54 am   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analise View Post
I went to the Aveda Istitute website and it seems geared for prospective students only. I'd like to go to one of the locales in NYC for a discounted massage and facial. Do they do that or is the institute only for haircare?
There is one in NYC area:
Aveda Institute New York
233 Spring Street
NEW YORK, NY 10013
USA
212-807-1492

They do facials $40-$65. They also do waxing. I do not see massages offered on the menu.

http://www.avedainstituteny.com/cmsd.../full_menu.pdf

I went to aveda.com, find a location - it will list all aveda salons, stores, institutes.
Old Jun 11, 09, 7:24 pm   #9
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydarlin View Post
you have to go to the individual locations website...

http://avedainstituteny.com/guest_information.html this one seems to offer both types of services.

http://www.carsteninstitute.com/institutes.html this one doesn't advertise services, but its probably worth a call.
Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 09, 5:56 pm   #10

Programs: AA Gold
I've been to the one in Chicago a couple times. I had no quibbles with the highlights, but you do have to book far in advance. Lots of people have come to realize that these offer a good deal.
chgoeditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 09, 12:17 am   #11

Programs: UA,F9,AS,AA
Thumbs up So happy to hear good reports about this!

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been thinking about trying out the Portland institute but have been hesitating because I wasn't sure of the quality I might get. Now I think that I'll go ahead and give them a try.I really like the Aveda products and hair colors but I haven't been that happy with my recent haircuts at the Aveda salon I've been using-and I sure wouldn't mind saving a little $$$ either!

Last edited by Wanderbug; Jun 13, 09 at 12:18 am. Reason: spelling and clarity
Wanderbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 09, 8:44 pm   #12

I go to the one in Chapel Hill whenever I can get a few hours free. One good thing about CH is that, as a college town, it tends to be less busy in the summer. Thanks for the reminder.
hollister is offline   Reply With Quote