Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

How do you guard your purse or what purse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2009, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Do you carry when going traveling and through the security process. I have read about people diverting you and grabbing bags/purses/laptops while walking through security. What measures do you take at the airport and in general with your purse/money...?
Old May 18, 2009, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
My purse and laptop are generally the last thing that I put through security. I don't let it go through the belt until I see that there is no line for the metal detector. I then watch it go under the xray before I walk through.

No one distracts me. If security stops me, I make them take my purse and laptop off the belt and bring them closer before I let them wand me.
Old May 18, 2009, 9:48 pm

Ditto the above. Shoes and any outerwear (if any) go through first. Then my "personal item" which will contain general handbag items and followed by my rolling carryon. The rolling carryon never contains anything of great value since I usually end up on commuter aircraft and it basically gets treated like checked luggage at that point. It also always has a zip tie on it for this purpose.

I have no problem standing by the belt waiting for my things to go through before proceeding to the WTMD and I won't be rushed toward it if my things are still in the open. Once I start through the WTMD, my eyes go directly to where things are coming out.
Old May 19, 2009, 6:09 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm another one who won't go through the security portal until my items are in the X-ray machine where no one can grab them. The couple of times I've been wanded, I waited until I could get my things to have them near me.
Old May 19, 2009, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I came within seconds of having a purse stolen at a TSA checkpoint. Since I have always worn my wallet, passport and etc. in my clothing as men do. My purse has personal items that are of no special value but are handy to have. Inside my carry on bag is a difficult to reach zipper pocket. I use that for anything else of value that I can't stand to have stolen: IPod, phone, etc.

When the purse incident started to happen I started yelling. A couple who cleared the TSA just ahead of me had partially blocked my view of the items coming out of the machine. The woman had her hand on my purse. When I started yelling 'My purse, get your hands off it" the TSA men at the checkpoint did not react, but a woman TSA employee did so and stepped up to the couple. That couple walked off with no one stopping them at all. Made me furious.

If the woman TSA person had not stepped in, my purse would have been long gone.

Lesson learned.
Old May 28, 2009, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, etc.
Purseology 101

Great advice by everyone. Redhead's got the right formula for going through security. In addition, I am in the habit of always laying out my things on the belt in the same order, even if it means asking TSA to stop grabbing and rushing items through. First my roll-on, then my shoulder/computer bag (which I carry instead of a purse); my laptop in a bin, then finally my jacket and liquids and shoes in another bin. I can't miss anything if I have to wait for my shoes, which come last. And my big roll-on is least likely to be taken. Check out Purseology 101 for more tips.
Old May 28, 2009, 2:35 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I generally try to put anything of value - including my purse - in my topper.

I also refuse to go through security until my items go through. I actually had a screener at LHR tell me I needed to learn to trust. I told him that yeah, when you trust me and don't screen me, I'll trust you and everyone else in line who has access to my belongings.
Old May 28, 2009, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Redhead
My purse and laptop are generally the last thing that I put through security. I don't let it go through the belt until I see that there is no line for the metal detector. I then watch it go under the xray before I walk through.

No one distracts me. If security stops me, I make them take my purse and laptop off the belt and bring them closer before I let them wand me.
That is exactly what I do.

Originally Posted by l'etoile
I also refuse to go through security until my items go through. I actually had a screener at LHR tell me I needed to learn to trust. I told him that yeah, when you trust me and don't screen me, I'll trust you and everyone else in line who has access to my belongings.
I can't imagine that screener worked at LGA. I'm amazed you didn't start laughing when you were given this unsolicited advice by someone whose job is NOT to trust.
Old May 28, 2009, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Recently I've started traveling with my credit cards in a packet stuck in my bra. So far so good! For centuries women have carried valuables in their underwear.
Old May 28, 2009, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Recently I've started traveling with my credit cards in a packet stuck in my bra. So far so good! For centuries women have carried valuables in their underwear.
They did that because they wore clothes with no pockets!
Old May 28, 2009, 9:00 pm

Certainly a safe place as nobody could take it out of there without you noticing.

But, not to be indiscreet, isn't that uncomfortable and deforming the silhouette? I really wouldn't like a package of credit cards in my underwear.

Another thing to tell the screeners is that you will gladly leave your valuables out of eyesight IF they guarantee for a full replacement if they are stolen.

Till
Old May 29, 2009, 6:07 am

Programs: AAPlat, Delta Gold, HH Gold, Amex,Marriott, CO
I also do not put my things through the belt until I can walk through.

I often need a "female assist" wanding due to an unremovable bracelet I wear.

The correct term - FYI- is that I cannot maintain "visual contact" with my belongings. It is the TSA jargon and works better then I can't see my stuff!

I also try and travel with a small handbag that fits in my totebag with my laptop. One less thing to keep track of.

In Europe I use either a money belt or a thin pouch hung around my neck under my clothes for credit cards and passport.
Old May 29, 2009, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tfar
Certainly a safe place as nobody could take it out of there without you noticing.

But, not to be indiscreet, isn't that uncomfortable and deforming the silhouette? I really wouldn't like a package of credit cards in my underwear.

Another thing to tell the screeners is that you will gladly leave your valuables out of eyesight IF they guarantee for a full replacement if they are stolen.

Till
Not uncomfortable at all. Just takes a big enough 'figure' to provide the proper landscape. Magellans used to sell a little bag that hooked on to bra straps to provide a secret stash area. I used that until it finally wore out and had to come up with Plan B. Magellans also used to sell other sorts of women's underwear that had hidden pockets. Wonder why they gave up the idea?
Old May 29, 2009, 1:43 pm

classy! :P.... i was actually going to ask you to borrow me 10$

Last edited by shiv666; May 29, 2009 at 1:53 pm
Old May 29, 2009, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Not uncomfortable at all. Just takes a big enough 'figure' to provide the proper landscape. Magellans used to sell a little bag that hooked on to bra straps to provide a secret stash area. I used that until it finally wore out and had to come up with Plan B. Magellans also used to sell other sorts of women's underwear that had hidden pockets. Wonder why they gave up the idea?
I have that little bag but have never used it ... was it comfortable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.