Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Packing perfume for carry-on---any tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Packing perfume for carry-on---any tips?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
I have a perfume habit. I admit it, I'm addicted to the stuff, and have sampled well over 1000 (yes that's a 1 and three 0s).

After a few years of wearing commercial perfumes like Chanel No 5 (my favourite for a good three years), I've switched to essential oil based scents. They're much more concentrated, last forever, and linger close to the body. I can't stand scents that trail behind - if I can smell someone from five feet away, the scent's too strong in my opinion.

My favourites are:

CB: I hate Perfume. Highly advise visiting their Brooklyn shop if you're in the area, it's a fantastic experience. www.cbihateperfume.com. I wear their "I am a Dandelion" perfume oil often - it's probably my largest bottle at 15ml. Winter 1972 is another favourite.

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. A bit lower on my scale of favourites, but some lovely scents. All mail order, and my favourite is that most scents can be ordered in teeny tiny 1ml samples, perfect for taking along in a kippie bag. www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com

Nocturne Alchemy. Their resin based scents always blow me away. I adore amber and they do it so well. Hideous website, but nice people.
www.nocturnealchemy.com

The nice thing about these companies is that I can easily take half a dozen types of perfume oil in my kippie bag in a combination of bottles and sample vials, and pick and choose what I want to smell like that day. They take up so little space! And being alcohol and (generally) chemical free, they're much less likely to carry on the air and offend the nose of the person next to me. After all, just because I love amber doesn't mean my seatmate should have to suffer through it.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:26 pm

Programs: Aa, SW, HH Silver, SPG
My solution is Jo Malone perfume. It comes in many lovely sophisticated scents, and in there is a one-oz. atomizer bottle of cologne that is rectilinear and narrow. It fits easily into the quart ziplock. I have one just for travel that stays with my travel toiletries.
The downside is its price, about $55 for the one ounce. It is available at higher end department stores. I hate cheap, synthetic smelling perfume - I would rather not wear any. I guess my Mom spoiled me with her wearing of Shalimar, Joy, and Chanel No. 5 as I was growing up. I am still a big fan of the classics, but Jo Malone has so many fabulous scents that are light and fresh that it is easy to love these as well.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:27 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Pure parfum as opposed to Eau de Parfum tends to come in smaller bottles. Same scent more concentrated, smaller bottle - but I am picky as when it comes to scents and my favourite is a Fragnard which you can get in 15, 20 or larger ml bottles by mail order. Aluminium bottles too, so easier to stash and less likely to break.
Old May 30, 2009, 11:05 am

Years ago, I received a tiny perfume bottle encased in silver filagree, with a little silver funnel, as a gift. Best travel gift ever -- I never go anywhere without it. My scent is Chanel #5, and I refill the little bottle with pure perfume before every trip.

You can sometimes find similar bottles for sale on Ebay -- and there are virtually always refillable purse atomizer bottles for sale there. Ditto miniature bottles and sample vials of a whole laundry list of scents.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 4:59 pm

Programs: nada these days
I begged some tiny sample-size empty atomizers off the good folks at Macy's when I was buying perfume recently. I open them up and spritz from the full-size bottle directly into the opening -- it only takes a few sprays and there's very little wasted. I have traveled with these quite a bit this year and haven't had any problems with leaks. It's nice to be able to bring several scents without having to lug all the glass bottles around!
Old Jun 16, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Gold Medallion
If you are partial to really high end scents, Aedes de Venustas (online) sells sample sizes of many exclusive boutique lines (Serge Lutens, L'artisan, etc). It used to be 15 dollars for seven samples (which is a little pricey, but that does cover shipping).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.