Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

How to reduce nose scratching & hands near face?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Just how do you not scratch your nose without wearing a mask (skincare or healthcare)? I know some people are great at not touching their faces thanks to having applied foundation and not wanting to disturb it. Any other tricks which don't require makeup? Do I just pack cotton swabs and dab with purpose at itchy spots, instead?

Trying a bit harder to break this bad habit given flu season and my area's unknown COVID-19 count just hit 2. I've been working on reducing hands near face in general as I tend to prop my jaw with hand at times which leads to small rough patches around my jaw line.

I'm also starting to wear headbands to keep my mid-length bob out of my face so hair doesn't tickle my nose and I don't need to re-tuck it behind my ears while looking down and up at my desk job. It seems to help.

Tip for the ramped up hand washing + some sanitizer leading to dry hands - I'm using Hada Labo Premium (hyaluronic acid) to re-hydrate my hands before bed.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Me too

I too have this issue. I mainly wash my hands a LOT and hand sanitize. When flying, I am going to start bring disinfectant wipes (non bleach) to wipe down the touch screen and tray table. The only other is I sometimes use an anti itch cream on the areas of my face I tend to touch.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Wear a mask at home, for training/reminder purposes? I don't know, I have been wondering the same thing. I am terrible with it!

- DanishFlyer
Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
You tell me not to do something and the first thing I want to do is that which is forbidden. Argh! Fortunately (??) I have pretty much constant low-grade allergies, so I have tissues everywhere. When my nose or eyes itch, I do my best to use a tissue and not touch with my fingers.

I have always been good about handwashing, but still....

Good luck to us all! ;-)
gretchendz likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did a little experiment with myself while at the gym today....I never paid attention to it before but I touch my face and nose and eyes constantly. I would love to know how to break this unconscious habit. I can't go around wearing gloves although that might be a good reminder.
And of course just knowing that I am not supposed to do it makes my nose and eyes itch.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This question got asked in the U.K. forum “where to buy a mask” thread. I wasn’t completely joking with my response.

I find I become particularly conscious of where my hands go after I’ve been preparing chillies. I’ll bet you do too!
If you handle cut chillies enough you could probably play the “chilli hands” mind game where you pretend to yourself you just touched some and adjust your habits accordingly.
If you’d rather have a different stimulus to pain for this kind of aversion therapy, you could smear a smell you hate on your hands - for me that would be geranium and you can buy that stench distilled into an oil. Am not too fond of rosemary either, or cloves.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
When my husband processes chilis (every other year we grow a bunch and he'll make his own hot sauce or can or just slice & freeze) He sets up a fan in the kitchen, wears gloves, and a full face mask (he uses a helmet/mask he has for chainsawing ;-) It's lighter than the welding mask....

That will not help me not touch my eyes/nose on a daily basis. I've heard some people who bite their nails have good luck in general using that icky stuff used to prevent the biting.

Maybe just using a strongly scented (but not necessarily BAD) hand lotion would help? At least provide a reminder, but you'd have to change the scent every so often because you tune out scents over time....
Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:37 pm

Sometimes I just ‘need’ to touch my face, stay hair or something similar. I use the back of my hand which should be significantly cleaner than fingers. Of course also washing hands more and using arm to open doors if possible or if need to use handle then grab the bottom of the handle or if a doorknob then use my non dominant hand.
But ive been doing this for years, took and taught micro and that really made me realize how bacteria and viruses are ubiquitous
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I have the same issues.

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Sometimes I just ‘need’ to touch my face, stay hair or something similar. I use the back of my hand which should be significantly cleaner than fingers. Of course also washing hands more and using arm to open doors if possible or if need to use handle then grab the bottom of the handle or if a doorknob then use my non dominant hand.
But ive been doing this for years, took and taught micro and that really made me realize how bacteria and viruses are ubiquitous
so far little success in breaking this habit.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

The Oatmeal has some suggestions for decreasing face touches

Sometimes sporting barrettes which pinch less than headbands.
gretchendz and ysolde like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.