Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

How do you pack lightly? Is it possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you pack lightly? Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 5:01 pm

Dear panicked and edcaya,

thank you for your answers! I am really interested in your "pocket knife" replacement tools! The mini pen scissors looks not too inspiring confidente to me, but I like the yarn cutter pendant (also looks nice!) and the keytool (mykee)! I won´t look into it now, but I keep this in mind until I am back.

I also like the lightweight travel pack! In fact, I was looking for something like this, but I didn´t find anything convincing. Instead, I stuck to my "old" solution and use a foldable bag, but it is much more heavy than the one you suggested. I thought, I could use the extra bag on travel, if I need one compartment more and at the end for having an extra bag as checked luggage when I bought too many souveniers . Therefore, I bought this bag: http://www.mountainhardwear.com/ligh...ckpack&start=3 However, I will look for the patagonia bag when I am back. Nevertheless, as I searched foldable bags - I assume, the material is very thin and you couldn´t probably use the bag also as additionally checked luggage?

I looked on the compression cubes as well. I guess, I have seen them in several shops, but I decided for me to buy pack sacks (http://www.seatosummit.com.au/produc...sil-dry-sacks/ and https://www.ortlieb.com/en/produkt-d...Packs%C3%A4cke), with which I was also able to compress my stuff amazingly! However, I am not sure, but I would guess, the Eagle Creek- Cubes are not 100% waterproof? I tested all my storage bags in my tube - even underwater, they didn´t leek. However, the eagle creek cubes have a zip fastener, that´s why I am asking.

For the meds, I am not convinced yet (sorry) although the vintage cigarette case looks great. One of my friends is a pharmacist and she discussed with me my travel meds. I ended up like for my South America Tour with a really lot of meds. I don´t want to separate the pills from its origin instructions (therefore I also keep the carton - maybe I could save weight and space, if I would only pack the blisters and the instructions... I will try that out tomorrow!).

As I once did not bring my own meds and had to buy some anti-allergics (only in Italy, where the language is not so extremely different from latin), but it was a drama until I had the right pills and due to my lack of Italian language, I failed to understand the instructions and ended up taking much too many pills. This caused (of course...) adverse effects which I could have avoided, if I had understood the instructions better. That´s my main reason for bringing my own med stuff. Also, it seems to be difficult in Madagascar to easily get meds (there are not so many pharmacies) and the language is far from any, I know, so it would be really difficult for me to express my needs...

Still, as my med-pack is around 1/4 of my whole luggage, I am really interested in easier solutions... but therefore I might have to travel much more to collect experience...

Holy wall of text, Batman!
sorry for that - as I said, I am not a mistress of short wording... oO´

I probably won´t answer here until Nov, but then I will read in this forum again
Old Oct 2, 2015, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Prism
I am really interested in your "pocket knife" replacement tools!
I keep a small (less than 3") pair of scissors in my first aid kit. Blunt tip, sturdy blades.

I also like the lightweight travel pack! In fact, I was looking for something like this, but I didn´t find anything convincing. Instead, I stuck to my "old" solution and use a foldable bag, but it is much more heavy than the one you suggested. <snip> I assume, the material is very thin and you couldn´t probably use the bag also as additionally checked luggage?
The Patagonia bag looks great! Eddie Bauer also makes some ripstop nylon bags and backpacks that fold up to next to nothing. I have seen them in the EB at LGA. To me they feel sturdy enough to use as an "in case of emergency" checked bag. I do carry one of those as well but when I do use it I tend to pack soft things like clothing in it...usually the laundry for the trip home

For the meds, I am not convinced yet (sorry) although the vintage cigarette case looks great.
I LOVE the cigarette case idea!
However, for keeping instructions with the meds I'll make a copy of the instructions and tape them to the outside of the bottle or tube. Sometimes I've written the instructions up on a sticky label and just stuck that on the outside of the relevant package. So if the prescription bottle is huge I can take out what I need for the trip, put it in a smaller bottle (or a small ziploc bag) and stick"my" label on it.

I haven't managed to do carry on only for international business trips yet but I'm getting better. I always learn something on this forum.

Oh, one other thing...I found a lovely, packable raincoat by Cole Haan that has a zip out insulated liner and compresses to the size of a paperback book...possibly smaller. Fits easily into my carry on when I reach my destination (or if I need it when I do). I also have a merino cardigan that folds down to nothing. I wear it on the plane and can layer it under toe coat for extra warmth is needed.

Good luck and safe travels!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 7:49 am
Suspended

My missus used to be a terrible over-packer,always taking too much stuff which never got used like a hair-dryer to a country where it never got below 30c.
It used to cost a fortune in excess baggage charges.
On the return from one holiday I asked her when she was unpacking if she would put to one side EVERYTHING that never got worn or used.It amounted to nearly 2/3 of the contents.
Since then we've travelled light.
Next week she's borrowing my eldest son's school backpack for a 10 days jaunt around the Greek islands.
tcl likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 5:29 pm

I travel with a few each of various pills like Cipro, Amoxicillin, Lomotil, Valium, Aleve, cold tablet, etc. The only one that risk a hassle is the Valium so I put them all in the Valium prescription bottle. To tell them apart, I wrote on the back of a business card a description of each pill (tiny white round = Lomotil, for example) and tucked it inside the bottle. If you are worried about it, and I am not, you can pack the paper prescription printouts you get from the drugstore - paper takes up less space than multiple bottles.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: qantas club
Arrow

• For all the masters of the carry-on- only: How do you transport a knife/ scissors nail related things?
For scissors I buy cheap folding ones from a sewing notions shop. They have short metal blades and cut quite well and in ten years were only confiscated once (in Singapore). I also have a "letter opener" blade on a flat credit-card shaped multitool that lives with my cards in my wallet. I bring a strongly serrated plastic knife with the spork and silicone pop up cup/bowl for dealing with bread, cheese, sausage etc when picnicking.

• If you wear several layers during the flight how does this fit in your carry-on, when you reached your destination?
Here in Oz airlines have 7-8kg carryon limits. There's usually enough space in my wheelie, duffel or backpack for the clothes, so I put the extra stuff in once I am past security and no chance of the bag being weighed. In addition my top layers are also thin and squash-able (supplex, fine merino or cashmere, polar fleece) If all else fails, I strip outer layers off when I get to my seat and pack them into a thin nylon backpack or Flip&Tumble bag and use them as a pillow.

• How do you pack your first aid kits and travel med-pack?
Two days worth of regular medication plus aspirin, antihistamine,buscopan , lomotil and maxalon with blister bandaids in a ziplock in my handbag(purse).

Main supplies out of cartons if packed in foil or in original bottles if loose in with non liquid toiletries in washbag; liquids and creams in the see-thru Paranoia pack.

IF you have only carry-on luggage, how do you transport your … in your small, fully packed item?
Providing I'm not flying, there is usually plenty of room, as it is weight that is my main limiting feature. Otherwise I use the fold up bag I carry in all my handbags.

•. ... I wanted to throw them away....
I have posted clothes, books, souvenirs back to my home, or given things like umbrellas magazines or novels to someone who could use them, but never thrown stuff away unless it is no longer functional. I'm a bit squicked off at the thought of travelling with manky underwear or grotty clothes...
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:23 pm

Regarding "just-in-case" meds: I find blister packs easier to transport than bottles, especially if you just need a few. Commercially packed over the counter medications usually print the name on the foil. It also sometimes has the generic effective ingredient in which may be better understood by a foreign pharmacy. I think this is also good for countries with strict drug import regulations as a bottle of mixed pills might be more questionable if investigated, though I think such countries usually look for quantities suitable for a longer term stay. What one country allows as over-the-counter and others have made illegal does differ. Separating loose pills into small pill bags (tiny ziplocks) and labelling, either by day/dosage or drug, also seems tidier. This is nice for slightly larger quantities without the bulk of a bottle.

Some pharmacies will put prescriptions into blister packs if requested. Walmart does in the USA, for example.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by freecia

Some pharmacies will put prescriptions into blister packs if requested. Walmart does in the USA, for example.
Thanks for this very useful bit of information.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Great tip

Originally Posted by Clint Bint
My missus used to be a terrible over-packer,always taking too much stuff which never got used like a hair-dryer to a country where it never got below 30c.
It used to cost a fortune in excess baggage charges.
On the return from one holiday I asked her when she was unpacking if she would put to one side EVERYTHING that never got worn or used.It amounted to nearly 2/3 of the contents.
Since then we've travelled light.
Next week she's borrowing my eldest son's school backpack for a 10 days jaunt around the Greek islands.
Actually, this is a great tip for the hopeless overpackers
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Years ago, we found a local travel store, Holloway Travel Outfitters, owned by Warren and Gussie Holloway, opened in 1978 (both gone now, but the expanded store continues under thevguidance of their son, Jon).

Gussie and Warren were avid travelers, and Gussie developed a dressing and packing method allowing her to travel for many weeks with one carry-on and one personal item. Her method became so popular she was interviewed by television and newspapers, invited to give presentations and demonstrations. Her packing light method became a regular show at the store, packing in the masses.

Gussie traveled on years ago, but her method is still a center of attention. You can see Jon demonstrating Gussie's method in a video here, as well as access some other useful tools.

Barbara, my wife, and I have traveled using Gussie's method (with our modifications) for years. Our personal best may have been traveling to Eastern Europe, including a Tauck river cruise, bus and train - six weeks, seven countries - with our TravelPro roll aboard and Briggs and Riley tote. Check this out!

I have no vested interest, but as a loyal and always impressed shopper, I'll highly recommend their just expanded Holloway Travel Outfitters physical shop in Sacramento, CA, US, and their burgeoning online store: PackingLight.com. Good prices and sales (20% off celebrating their expansion this month), super variety and service.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
As to meds, I take some prescriptions daily, and have learned to pack them much as I keep them at home: in their prescription bottles, in a zippered black bag that I transfer to my personal item (a large bag that looks like a large handbag, though I only use it for travel). I also place my mak-up in there (again, as I keep it at home, in a small Trish McEvoy planner, where I also keep small brushes). I put my chargers and adapters into a small, padded amenity kit in this bag, and follow that with a small jewelry case. My phone, wallet, passport, travel documents, and iPad are almost the end of this bag. I place my hairbrush, a nightgown, and a light change of clothes in there, as well as my 311 bag, filled with samples.

I don't perspire heavily, but have found that undershirts are marvelous in extending the wearability of my clothes. They wash and dry easily in the bathroom. When my dry clean clothes so much as stain or begin to smell, I bite the bullet and pay for same day dry cleaning at the hotel.

I am on a month long trip to Europe through different climates, and it's carry on only and lots of train travel.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by JDiver
Years ago, we found a local travel store, Holloway Travel Outfitters, owned by Warren and Gussie Holloway, opened in 1978 (both gone now, but the expanded store continues under thevguidance of their son, Jon).

Gussie and Warren were avid travelers, and Gussie developed a dressing and packing method allowing her to travel for many weeks with one carry-on and one personal item. Her method became so popular she was interviewed by television and newspapers, invited to give presentations and demonstrations. Her packing light method became a regular show at the store, packing in the masses.

Gussie traveled on years ago, but her method is still a center of attention. You can see Jon demonstrating Gussie's method in a video here, as well as access some other useful tools.

Barbara, my wife, and I have traveled using Gussie's method (with our modifications) for years. Our personal best may have been traveling to Eastern Europe, including a Tauck river cruise, bus and train - six weeks, seven countries - with our TravelPro roll aboard and Briggs and Riley tote. Check this out!

I have no vested interest, but as a loyal and always impressed shopper, I'll highly recommend their just expanded Holloway Travel Outfitters physical shop in Sacramento, CA, US, and their burgeoning online store: PackingLight.com. Good prices and sales (20% off celebrating their expansion this month), super variety and service.
This is a great video! Thanks so much. Although we travel carry on we have never been this organized. Also, we have recently changed brand of luggage as the Briggs and Riley we have been using for so many years has gotten too heavy for us to lift comfortably in to the overhead bin. I copied that video and e-mailed it to my spouse who is a much better packer than I am.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:42 pm

I tend to overpack when packing lightly. Thanks for the tips
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I think packing lightly is a process best learned over multiple trips. I am not a cute size 2, so I can't always find what I need readily in other locations. There are some items which I need to carry with me because of that. BUT I have learned that I don't need half as much stuff as I once thought I did. And with each trip I pack a little less.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:00 am
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
I’m sure others have shared this but for me the key to packing lightly is not to pack at the last minute. When I travel for work I have a uniform to wear during work. Packing that and other things I need for the job and my dopkit takes me <5 minutes. I only overpack if I try to pack the non-work clothing as quickly ��
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:36 am

I only carry the most important things with me that i know i won't find anywhere, the most important things are the one i carry along.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.