Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Favorite pantyhose to travel with?

Old Aug 2, 2007, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; CO Plat; HH Diamond; Adm Club

I just tried SPANX (the full pantyhose version) and loved them. They are stupidly expensive and I"ll have to see how long they last. I have always loved Donna Karan (expensive, but last a while).

1) What are your favorites to travel with?
2) Do you always travel with an extra pair, just in case?

Last edited by dknyc01; Aug 3, 2007 at 3:21 pm
Old Aug 3, 2007, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Brand isn't a huge concern for me, but I've found Dress Barn's to fit really well. I ALWAYS travel with at least one other pair. This has saved me repeatedly, because it seems like half the time, the first pair have a snag.

Please let me know how long the Spanx last. I'm interested to try them. Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2007, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I was just thinking I wish somebody would invent pantyhose with soft cushion footbeds for those of us who travel and get stuck wearing them for sooooo long and walking so much. Would be so much better in the shoes and for the feet. Can somebody please invent that?

My trick for pantyhose and travel is no matter which ones I get to buy them one size bigger than required so they don't run as easily and they are more comfortable. They do not sag because they're stretchy anyway. This works well for me. I always have an extra pair of pantyhose and clean underwear on hand. I have a little drawstring bag I keep them in tucked in my carryon and easily accessible. I never know when you'll get stuck somewhere or will want to freshen up in an airline club. I've had to switch pantyhose and toss out the old pair with the huge run many times. Some planes have velcro holding up the flotation device under the seat and they're vicious on pantyhose if you're not careful.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 11:04 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Calvin Klein. Keep hearing about SPANX, so might have to try those. I usually travel w/ 1-2 extra pair. I've been done in by the velcro flotation device before; usually w/ a new pair being worn for the first time. Grrr.

Cheers.

PS - Hadn't thought about the going up one size idea; might try that.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

I so often poke a fingernail through putting them on in the morning (the mad rush to get out of the hotel room on time).

I'd like to claim them as an unreimbursed business expense, I spend so much money on them! Hmmm, any accountants on the list?

I've also never tried the "one size larger" idea - that sounds like a good one.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 3:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I couldn't tell you the last time I wore a traditional pair of pantyhose. I don't even own a pair. Do you guys regularly travel in a business suit? In the winter when I can't go bare legged I wear Hue brand tights. They keep me toasty warm.

I also do the "buy one size bigger" than the package says. Pantyhose can be too small (and miserable) but rarely are they too big.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 6:57 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Maybe I'm odd, or maybe I'm buying 2 sizes too big without realizing it, but when I buy pantyhose that should be 1 size too big, I feel like they're sagging at my ankles.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 12:16 pm

Here's a thread on spray on stockings. I did buy a can, but haven't used it yet.

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=686622
Old Aug 4, 2007, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by b1513
Here's a thread on spray on stockings. I did buy a can, but haven't used it yet.

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=686622
I have used mine, I bought two different brands, Sally Hansen and Premier Silk Air Stockings, I did not get what I consider to be good results. I bought the lightest color in both brands and both are still too dark for my fair skin. I have used each can once, I may try again later but so far they are not for me. My corporate dress code requires me to wear hose or socks of some kind. When I am not working I don't wear hose, living in Dallas wearing hose in the summer months can be unbearable.

When I travel I usually have Hanes. I learned the trick of buying hose a size or two larger a few years ago. I used to put a nail through about half my new hose while putting on or just have a runner appear while pulling the hose up. Buying a larger size pretty much reduced this to zero when putting on the hose. I find the next size up panty hose will last through a few more wearings for same reason, easier to put on, less stress on the hose.

Last edited by MissJoeyDFW; Aug 5, 2007 at 9:23 am
Old Aug 4, 2007, 5:20 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

..and some of us have learned to live without them:

http://web3.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626026
Old Aug 4, 2007, 6:07 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Depends on what one does. If I'm meeting w/ entertainment industry clients I don't need them. If I'm meeting w/ corp America or am working a trade show, then I do. I like the idea of 1 size up though. I was in LAS earlier this year for a show & had forgotten to pack some extra Calvin Kleins. Went to hotel gift shop & they had some cheap pair. Bought my size & they were the small/miserable that prncss674 mentioned.

Cheers.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LTPPE
Have yet to find a pair of hose that I really like. After reading the earlier thread about spray on stockings, I went out and found the MAC foam version at Nordstroms. It works great for me and even comes in a travel size.
I tried the Sally Hansen spray but it was not a good match and haven't had a chance to try a different color.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:55 am

Programs: UA
If I'm going somewhere cold where I'll need some kind of coverage, I usually wear Hue tights...because I can usually find them on sale/clearance somewhere. Donna Karan tights are also good. I bring along one extra pair and have been known to cut away a leg with a run in it to match up with another one-legged "pair."

The rest of the time, no hose! Yay!
Old Aug 20, 2007, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Update on Spanx hose

I tried the Spanx full length hose and while I can tell you the tummy control part is great (as per all Spanx), I got a run on the second wearing!! My toe went right through...

Argh - for $25 I expected more. It's hopeless I think
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:04 pm

I always look for hose with reinforced toe, but they are getting harder and harder to find.

Originally Posted by dknyc01
I tried the Spanx full length hose and while I can tell you the tummy control part is great (as per all Spanx), I got a run on the second wearing!! My toe went right through...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.