Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

The all-time, flat-out, best mascara in the world.

The all-time, flat-out, best mascara in the world.

Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:55 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I am a fan of Dior mascara which I buy at Sephora. The brush is an excellent applicator...the mascara stays on nicely. As well, it washes off nicely with just a little cleansing cream or soap and water. Best thing of all is it doesn't irritate my eyes. Most mascaras are just basically shoe polish (look at the ingredients and you'll see carnuba). For me, mascara is very much about the applicator and being non-irritating. If I want really really full lashes for a special event, I pay someone to apply fake ones.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:53 am
wma

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
I recently purchased the waterproof version on Max Factor's Lash Perfection Mascara. It went on okay, made my lashes look good and is definitely waterproof.

So waterproof that no matter how much Albolene cream (I've been using this stuff since I was a teenager to remove makeup and it always works), baby oil, or Almay mascara removal pads I used I couldn't get this stuff completely off. But too much staying power is not a good thing. I wound up with a Stye and had to go to my eye doctor.

I had to put compresses on my eye twice a day, couldn't wear my contacts or makeup to work, and had uncomfortable pain for nearly a week.

Think I'll give Blinc a try.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:22 am

I was about to sign up for TestTube, but was a bit put off by the high shipping. Does anyone know whether the Blinc mascara in the current TestTube is a full size product? If so, definitely worth the price of the package. Thanks for posting that - I've never heard of it, but it sounds fun.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:09 pm

I'm generally mostly a lurker, but I'm intrigued by no-smudge mascara. I hate smudging so much that I had my eyeliner tatooed and I have my lashes dyed fairly often, but it's expensive and a nuisance. I'm holding out hope that one of the mascaras mentioned will be fabulous! I've ordered one of the Blinc, and one of the Trish and will report back. Thanks for the tips!
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:45 pm

Programs: AS, DL
Originally Posted by Telfes
My curiosity has finally been piqued. One question before I order: How well does this stuff clean off the skin if you smudge some while applying?
Thanks!
Easily, with water. After it's dried it will still come off with water. I got some on my hands when I was playing around with it, and no problems getting it off. Water is key, though. A tissue alone did not work on the spot that had dried.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:50 pm

Programs: AS, DL
Originally Posted by BaliParis
Kiss me mascara is one of the 9-10 items in the current (3rd) testtube from New Beauty magazine. Some items are sample, some full size. www.newbeauty.com for more info.

I use a Wondercloth to take mascara, makeup off. Works great.
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
I just signed up for TestTubes. The shipping seems high compared to the cost of the samples, but I'm on a skincare kick so what the heck. Thanks for the info on New Beauty.
Thanks from me too! I'm going to give it a try as well. I love trying new products.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
[QUOTE=kmcg;7436358] Does anyone know whether the Blinc mascara in the current TestTube is a full size product? QUOTE]

No, the Kiss Me Mascara in the Testtube is deluxe sample size.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Wanderbug
Easily, with water. After it's dried it will still come off with water. I got some on my hands when I was playing around with it, and no problems getting it off. Water is key, though. A tissue alone did not work on the spot that had dried.
Great! Thanks so much Wanderbug! I look forward to trying this stuff.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:23 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Still waiting for my TestTube so I can't report back on the Blinc mascara yet. But what I have been using for a long time, especially on long flights, is Revlon ColorStay Overtime Lash Tint. It's not as lush as many other mascaras but it does darken the lashes, and I no longer get off a red-eye looking like a raccoon. It holds up to sweat if you wear it to the gym and will stay put for two or three days if your itinerary demands it. Even my usual waterproof mascaras (Almay, Mabelline) will smear some--this stuff, not at all, never.

BTW BaliParis, you're right about the TestTube. With all the full-sized products it contains, even with the inflated shipping fee it seems worth it. Not the magazine, though, which seems to cover mostly cosmetic, er, "procedures". I'm old enough but way too squeamish (and scar-prone) to contemplate knife or needle (shudder)...
Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by AirportPlanner
I'm generally mostly a lurker, but I'm intrigued by no-smudge mascara. I hate smudging so much that I had my eyeliner tatooed and I have my lashes dyed fairly often, but it's expensive and a nuisance. I'm holding out hope that one of the mascaras mentioned will be fabulous! I've ordered one of the Blinc, and one of the Trish and will report back. Thanks for the tips!
I would love to hear the comparison from both you and Punki. I cannot tell you how many tubes of mascara I have thrown away after using only once or twice.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:05 am

Ladies, you NEED this product

For some reason this thread ended up on the front page as a new thread and I clicked on it. Always looking for the next must-have product.

Anyway, I had to chime in with what I believe is the best cosmetic ever made, and a pretty well-kept secret. It is: Shiseido the Makeup Mascara Base (around USD 17 at Sephora)

Look, I have very sparse, stick-straight lashes that refuse to hold a curl. It is virtually useless for me to wear mascara because even if it lengthens/thickens, my lashes still stick straight out and you can't really see them.

Along comes SHISEIDO THE MAKEUP MASCARA BASE. This stuff really works. I use the Shiseido curler to curl (much better than the drugstore version), swipe a few strokes of this magical stuff on, and viola!, you can SEE my lashes, and they hold a curl all day long, with zero smudging. I pretty much use any cheap old mascara now, as long as I use the base underneath. (although so far I've had the best results with a combo of the Shiseido mascara base and Clinique High Impact mascara). The result is almost like having "natural look" falsies on.

I'm a cheapskate, too, and at first I really hated the idea of spending this much on a mascara type product (since you have to replace them every 3 months), but to me this is well worth it. Best cosmetic I've ever tried. Why? because it actually works.

Gads, I sound like a shiseido ad. But really, I don't work for them, I promise!
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:21 am

Hmmm - I wonder how the Shisheido / Trish McEvoy 1-2 would work?!?

I have 6 eyelashes ~ they're all short and straight

I bought a tube of Trish McEvoy in London, but haven't tried it yet (long story involving semi-permanent eyelash extensions ) ~ I am possessed about eyelashes... and airfare.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 3:48 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went to Sephora the other day and they were out of Blinc but they had other tube mascaras. I bought one for $19.50 that she said was "better" and I could return it if I didn't like it. It's called Toe Tree or something else T T.

I returned it yesterday because I can't get it off without getting stinging chemicals in my eyes. Still can't wear my contacts. Apparently, this type of mascara is made of the same stuff used in hair styling gel. The mascara itself has a strong chemical smell.

Last edited by LLM; Mar 26, 2007 at 8:36 am Reason: Returned mascara
Old Mar 29, 2007, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I recieved my two tubes of Blinc that I ordered from E-bay. These are full size, sealed tubes. I paid $18.95 ea and only paid a total of $2.00 in shipping.

The only isssue I have with it is that I can't get enough mascara on the brush to make a difference. I only tried it once so I will give it a couple more times before I pass judgement. By all the raves here, I can't believe I wouldn't like it.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
I recieved my two tubes of Blinc that I ordered from E-bay. These are full size, sealed tubes. I paid $18.95 ea and only paid a total of $2.00 in shipping.

The only isssue I have with it is that I can't get enough mascara on the brush to make a difference. I only tried it once so I will give it a couple more times before I pass judgement. By all the raves here, I can't believe I wouldn't like it.
I had a similar issue but it doesn't go on like other mascara. The mascara sort of plumps up after application, it forms a tube around the lash. I usually put on 2-3 layers on my lashes without letting the layers dry in between. It takes about 2 minutes to dry and then they are set. It doesn't have the gooey gummy clumpy texture that a lot of mascaras do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.