Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Contact Lens Solution

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Contact Lens Solution

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Any further updates on this? I had LASIK about 8 years ago but my vision has deteriorated. So I'm going to the optometrist on Monday to get contacts. It's been at least 10 years since I wore contacts, so I've never had to deal with the liquids nonsense. Do people have trouble carrying saline/disinfectant through security?
See cme2c, an MD/ophthalmologist in Omaha? He may be able to get you from to . Either that or he can give you a good assessment.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 6:12 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, AA Gold
Absolutely no problems taking saline solution through security. I put it in a separate baggie from other liquids. I've had security stop and look at why I had two baggies and then it was no problem. I've also taken one of the huge bottles of saline solution through and have had no problem with it either.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 11:11 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Any further updates on this? I had LASIK about 8 years ago but my vision has deteriorated. So I'm going to the optometrist on Monday to get contacts. It's been at least 10 years since I wore contacts, so I've never had to deal with the liquids nonsense. Do people have trouble carrying saline/disinfectant through security?
I have no problems whatsoever taking my full size bottles of contact lens solution through security. I just put them in a seperate baggie (I'm afraid of the bottles leaking) from my quart bag.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Plat
Oh this is good to know! I've always bought a travel size contact solution and packed it in my 3-1-1. This is great information!
Old Oct 16, 2008, 5:08 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Buy upon arrival

If I'm traveling domestically or to Canada, I've taken to waiting until I get to my destination and hit up a pharmacy to buy my contact stuff. I do carry one of the trial sizes of multi-use solution that my optometrist gave me, but I won't use that unless I have to. The price of the stuff just doesn't justify the space and weight they take up now when I travel. If I'm traveling internationally, I will pack my solution in my carryon and show it to the TSA folks. But, I'll still pick up a bottle of saline at a pharmacy and just leave it when I depart.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
reviving the old thread that I found googling for "peroxide contact solutions and TSA"
I normally travel with a 4ox CIBA "clear care" solution bottle. My travel-size clear care bottle had literally 300,000 miles (I refill it from the big bottles) and probably 100+ security checks on in up until the TSA agents at SLC tonight confiscated it because it "tested positive for peroxides".... so I have no idea whether this is a new thing they are checking, or if I just managed to find the only guy in the entire TSA hierarchy that actually checks... but anyway, they took it and now I get to find a drugstore at midnight that's still open when I get to seattle. Stupid TSA and their inconsistencies...
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:00 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ljwobker
reviving the old thread that I found googling for "peroxide contact solutions and TSA"
I normally travel with a 4ox CIBA "clear care" solution bottle. My travel-size clear care bottle had literally 300,000 miles (I refill it from the big bottles) and probably 100+ security checks on in up until the TSA agents at SLC tonight confiscated it because it "tested positive for peroxides".... so I have no idea whether this is a new thing they are checking, or if I just managed to find the only guy in the entire TSA hierarchy that actually checks... but anyway, they took it and now I get to find a drugstore at midnight that's still open when I get to seattle. Stupid TSA and their inconsistencies...
What caused them to actually check the solution? If this is new, it will be a problem, as ClearCare is not as readily available and it more costly than other solutions if it can't be taken along.

I travel with ClearCare all the time also and have only been stopped once. I put all my contact supplies in a separate zip lock bag from my toiletry one and out them both through the scanner. The one time I was stopped the agent told me one bag per pax and I actually needed to have them call a supervisor to tell this woman that contact solutions did not count.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 8:50 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Can't speak on the type of solution, yet generic saline for B&L can be purchased in "airline friendly" specific sizes (labled as such on the packaging). Usually either saline-only, or zip-bag, case, saline and wetter. 3oz would last me at least a week, and all it really has to last is the flight down. Just about any product is available now in <100ml/3oz.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 4:44 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Clear Care taken at DEN

I had my Clear Care rejected and taken by TSA for the first time last night in Denver. It was properly packed in the 1 quart bag, but it was flagged in the x-ray machine. The test strip turned blue, and I was told that Federal law prohibited any hydrogen peroxide on the plane.

I had taken it many times before, including the previous morning on the flight from BWI to DEN. It had been flagged and tested once before in TPA, but they let me take it with me.

I can't find anything on the TSA or FAA sites that mentions Clear Care or even hydrogen peroxide, but I am still looking. Will post an update if I find anything.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by coolcoil
I had my Clear Care rejected and taken by TSA for the first time last night in Denver. It was properly packed in the 1 quart bag, but it was flagged in the x-ray machine. The test strip turned blue, and I was told that Federal law prohibited any hydrogen peroxide on the plane.

I had taken it many times before, including the previous morning on the flight from BWI to DEN. It had been flagged and tested once before in TPA, but they let me take it with me.

I can't find anything on the TSA or FAA sites that mentions Clear Care or even hydrogen peroxide, but I am still looking. Will post an update if I find anything.
Did you ask to talk to a supervisor? Did you complain to the TSO and ask for a further explanation or documentation? You can post a complaint on the TSA website (but don't hold your breath of ever getting a response)
Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:52 am

Programs: DL, AA
You might find some useful information re. Clear solution in this thread in the Travel Safety/ Security forum. Basically, it seems the TSA prohibits hydrogen-peroxide and contact lense solutions containing hydrogen-peroxide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.